I just picked up a BlackBerry Storm from Vodafone UK (Glasgow actually).

Anyway ive been banging on for months about getting the Storm and my first impressions are good bar a few problems, that ive discovered are common problems since i found this site.

Im what you would call a member of the "young trendy" market that BlackBerry were trying to delve into with the Storm. I wont be using it for work, (I doubt my work would even let me due to the sensitive material i work with) im not an executive and i wont be using it for running my company.

I chose the Storm as i had a lot of gripes with the Samsung Omnia \ I-phone. Ill use it mostly for Internet browsing \ email \ text and will edit the odd Word Document for Uni.

Anyway, ive got the problem of not being able to click the edges of the screen, especially the letter "A" on the qwerty keyboard.

Now i know a lot of you Verizon owners are simply saying you will get a replacement but Vodafone UK's customer service is really lacking.......are there any UK users out there that have successfully obtained a replacement??? I reckon ill get told it wont be possible.

Also since im a first time BB user, im curious about a few things.

Does the blackberry Maps app use up data from my 500mb "data allowance per month" or is all info downloaded stored on the phone itself?

Cheers for any replies and sorry for the long post.

12-04-08 01:30 AM
    yes it uses that data limit.. and there is a screen fix ... take a business card .... fold it in half ... and stick it between the battery and battery cover .. it will work like a charm.
    12-04-08 01:34 AM
    Now isn't that how you broke your first Storm sooks??
    12-04-08 01:35 AM
    Fortunately, I haven't had the clicking issues others have had. However, as you will read on the Storm forums, many have had success as sooks suggested. Just be careful and start with a small thickness as not to damages anything...then work your way up until yo have the response you are looking for. If it were me, I'd take it back to the store and ask for a better version. Many in the States have had this problem and VZW has replaced them.
    12-04-08 01:38 AM
    hahah pholey i have a feeling your stocking me lol.... lol and yes... but i had about a inch of paper under there lol... i would go to touch the screen and it would click it was insane lol but awsome at the same time lol.. until it broke lol
    12-04-08 01:38 AM
    yes it uses that data limit.. and there is a screen fix ... take a business card .... fold it in half ... and stick it between the battery and battery cover .. it will work like a charm.
    Cheers for the answer re. the Maps app.

I know about this card fix from reading the Sticky from this site.

Ive got the Storm for the next 20 months, I'd rather a more permanent fix.

If a UK user has managed to get a replacement i'd like to hear from them.
    12-04-08 01:40 AM
    hahah pholey i have a feeling your stocking me lol.... lol and yes... but i had about a inch of paper under there lol... i would go to touch the screen and it would click it was insane lol but awsome at the same time lol.. until it broke lol
    I couldn't resist...I remember the moment it happened as if I were there and was like OOOHHH FU$$KKKK!! I shed a tear when I heard you Storm had died. lol. An INCH of paper damn sooks, no wonder it died!!!!!
    12-04-08 01:46 AM
    Fortunately, I haven't had the clicking issues others have had. However, as you will read on the Storm forums, many have had success as sooks suggested. Just be careful and start with a small thickness as not to damages anything...then work your way up until yo have the response you are looking for. If it were me, I'd take it back to the store and ask for a better version. Many in the States have had this problem and VZW has replaced them.
    I had a hard enough time haggling in the store trying to get it on an 18 month contract for �35 / month. I did eventually manage this but i dont think Vodafone staff were too happy when "i won".

I'd rather have a phone number to call like some sort of dedicated department who deals with these problems.

Another question:

How do i get my Storm to light up when i recieve a text messsage?? A lot of the time i have my phone on silent and the only way ill know ive got a message is if i couls get the screen to light up. It remains black though when a text comes in
    12-04-08 01:48 AM

Another question:

How do i get my Storm to light up when i recieve a text messsage?? A lot of the time i have my phone on silent and the only way ill know ive got a message is if i couls get the screen to light up. It remains black though when a text comes in
    Not sure, haven't really tested that yet. Good question though.... I'll have to test it out tomorrow when my peeps are awake.
    12-04-08 01:51 AM
    Bump. For all the fellow vodafone users on their lunch.
    12-04-08 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD