When i heard about to Blackberry Storm i was excited to see it in person. once i did i was dissappointed with the sluggishness of the finished product and the click screen will take some getting used too. I am on the fence about getting the phone and just wanted to know your honest opinion about the Storm. I know of the firmware sluggishness problem and i hope that will be fixed with firmware updates in the near future. I have never had a blackberry before plus i have an iphone so i know my way around a touch screen phone and how one should handle but i want more than an ipod touch that makes calls. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    12-15-08 02:11 PM
    What is your patience level from 1 being very low to 10 being very high? How old are you? What will you use it for?

I love my Blackberry Storm, it being my first Blackberry. I converted from a Treo 700wx. I have a rather high level of patience when it comes to technology / devices.
    Last edited by Seeknay747; 12-15-08 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Missed Some Info
    12-15-08 02:14 PM
    Stick with the iPhone until the bugs get worked out.
    12-15-08 02:15 PM
    I am Apple fan so I would love to have the Iphone but I hate AT&T so that is why I bought the Storm. I say wait until the next generation of Storms come out if you want to get one. Like the Iphone 1st Gen had bugs but the 2nd Gen was vastly improved. Coming from the Iphone you may constantly compare the Storm to the Iphone and get annoyed with the lag.
    12-15-08 02:19 PM
    I dont have a high patience level with tech, thats really why im on the fence. i have at the moment sprint with a two year old samsung. i also have the iphone but i gave it my girlfriend. I want the Storm but im thinking about just settling with another iphone. ive had both the 1st gen and 3g and never had any problems or notice much a difference. i just want a better phone than what the iphone offers and i love the style of the storm (not the click screen).
    Last edited by Tony Crack; 12-15-08 at 02:24 PM.
    12-15-08 02:20 PM
    When i heard about to Blackberry Storm i was excited to see it in person. once i did i was dissappointed with the sluggishness of the finished product and the click screen will take some getting used too. I am on the fence about getting the phone and just wanted to know your honest opinion about the Storm. I know of the firmware sluggishness problem and i hope that will be fixed with firmware updates in the near future. I have never had a blackberry before plus i have an iphone so i know my way around a touch screen phone and how one should handle but i want more than an ipod touch that makes calls. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Just what do you need to do that the iPhone doesn't do for you? Does the STORM do those things? If not, no need to change.

I like my STORM very much but got it instead of the iPhone because I am on Verizon and do not want to switch to AT&T. I use an ipod Touch and am familar with that touch screen as well. If the iPhone were available on Verizon, I'm not sure which I would prefer, but since I've had my ipod Touch for several months, I'd probably have gotten an iPhone. In no way is that to bash the STORM. It's a great piece of technology, but it doesn't do anything that an iPhone does that is of importance to me.

If there is something you really need to do that the STORM does and iPhone doesn't, then you should change unless it's one of the things that has"issues" on this initial release firmware.
    12-15-08 02:21 PM
    Have had a BB for years. Old school, Pearl, Curve and now the Storm. Never went the IPhone direction because I love the "work" related features of the BB and am totally dependant on the push email.

The curve has been the smoothest to use thus far, but I'm still getting used to the Storm and figuring out all the functions. I'll say this though....

Pros: It has all the features of previous BBs. Compared to other BB's the Storm has MUCH better internet apps function (google maps, cbs sportsline, facebook all load and work great), Media management (pics, music, videos, etc) and is capable of opening and displaying a number of documents (word, Excel, etc) that the curve didn't handle so well.

Cons: Hardware has been a slight disappointment. The infamous "screen click problem" seems to be effecting a lot of people. However, I added a small piece of cardboard behind the battery and my screen works like a charm. Software was tough at first, but from what I hear so was the IPhone. With each update it will get better so that doesn't worry me at all.

Bottom line: I am happy with it. It does all any BB I've ever had can do and then some. And it's more fun, which was never BB's strong suit.
    12-15-08 02:23 PM
    I recently "upgraded" from a Treo 700p to a BB Storm and have mixed feelings, though am trending toward a positive review.

The Storm definitely has some issues. For me, it's sluggish (even after the firmware upgrade), the accelerometer is often "confused" (it's not just slow, it's downright wrong), the battery life is half of what I would expect, and I have one of the models with "tight" screen corners (though not so bad in this one that I need to go for a third replacement

On a positive note, the screen size, resolution, and brilliant colors really make reading the phone a pleasure. And the on-screen keyboard is actually quite nice (it allows for all that screen real estate when you're not typing).

I'm new to the world of BlackBerry, so I did not have any pre-established expectations when it came to this phone. The one remaining issue that could result in a return later this week is stability. If I have to do one more battery pull, it's going back to Verizon. So far, it made it through the weekend and my Monday morning conference calls. We'll see what happens. I've found that some applications (Google Talk for example) seem to trigger some instability and force a reboot. Also, the wireless coverage in my office is bad; sometimes the phone gets confused if it's out of an EVDO coverage area for too long and a reboot is required to get everything realigned.

For what it's worth, I'm glad to have the phone so I can make my own decisions. There are too many mixed reviews out there ... you're probably better off just ordering the device and using your 30-day trial to determine how well it will meet your needs.

Good luck!
    12-15-08 02:24 PM
    Wait it out. It is still not ready for prime time.
    12-15-08 02:25 PM
    I am Apple fan so I would love to have the Iphone but I hate AT&T so that is why I bought the Storm. I say wait until the next generation of Storms come out if you want to get one. Like the Iphone 1st Gen had bugs but the 2nd Gen was vastly improved. Coming from the Iphone you may constantly compare the Storm to the Iphone and get annoyed with the lag.
    I disagree. The 2nd gen was not vasty improved. All it took was 2.01 (if I remember right) FW to make the iphone the way it should have been. All these people talking about waiting until a 2nd gen comes out are silly to me. RIM will get a FW out that solves the issues just like apple did when the iphone hit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 02:25 PM
    IMO, the Storm may not be quite as good as all the hype, but then what is? It probably won't ever be able to properly take on the Jesus Phone in terms of multimedia type functions, but it depends on what you're looking for.

I'll admit my exposure to the iPhone has been pretty limited in terms of hands on time with it. For the most part, it struck me as being about 80% style and 20% substance. The Storm is kind of the exact opposite.

Though to get a better idea of what the phone is actually like, you need to find someone who has one and is willing to let you play with it. Store display models tend to be subjected to all kinds of abuse, and unlike the Jesus Phone, the Storm is capable of multi-tasking, so if people don't know how to properly close apps, it will get bogged down pretty quickly.

In the end, if you want a phone that lets you get stuff done on the go, the Storm is probably a great choice. If you're looking more for a portable entertainment device, the Jesus Phone is probably what you want.
    12-15-08 02:27 PM
    I recently "upgraded" from a Treo 700p to a BB Storm and have mixed feelings, though am trending toward a positive review.

The Storm definitely has some issues. For me, it's sluggish (even after the firmware upgrade), the accelerometer is often "confused" (it's not just slow, it's downright wrong), the battery life is half of what I would expect, and I have one of the models with "tight" screen corners (though not so bad in this one that I need to go for a third replacement

On a positive note, the screen size, resolution, and brilliant colors really make reading the phone a pleasure. And the on-screen keyboard is actually quite nice (it allows for all that screen real estate when you're not typing).

I'm new to the world of BlackBerry, so I did not have any pre-established expectations when it came to this phone. The one remaining issue that could result in a return later this week is stability. If I have to do one more battery pull, it's going back to Verizon. So far, it made it through the weekend and my Monday morning conference calls. We'll see what happens. I've found that some applications (Google Talk for example) seem to trigger some instability and force a reboot. Also, the wireless coverage in my office is bad; sometimes the phone gets confused if it's out of an EVDO coverage area for too long and a reboot is required to get everything realigned.

For what it's worth, I'm glad to have the phone so I can make my own decisions. There are too many mixed reviews out there ... you're probably better off just ordering the device and using your 30-day trial to determine how well it will meet your needs.

Good luck!
    I hate to break it to you but battery pulls are the norm with BB's. If you don't want to do them then take it back now. Its not 4 u

12-15-08 02:27 PM
    I dont have a high patience level with tech, thats really why im on the fence. i have at the moment sprint with a two year old samsung. i also have the iphone but i gave it my girlfriend. I want the Storm but im thinking about just settling with another iphone. ive had both the 1st gen and 3g and never had any problems or notice much a difference. i just want a better phone than what the iphone offers and i love the style of the storm (not the click screen).
    If you don't have patience, then wait
    12-15-08 02:29 PM
    I hate to break it to you but battery pulls are the norm with BB's. If you don't want to do them then take it back now. Its not 4 u

Yes but not multiple times a day. I don't have to battery pulls on my curve hardly at all... Plus the storm takes forever to rreboot
    12-15-08 02:33 PM

Good luck!

You can hep your battery life tremendously by adjusting the backlight brightness. Its originally set at 100, which is totally unnecessary. Change your Backlight brightness to 10. That will help your battery.
    12-15-08 02:35 PM

Exactly. Its recommended to do a batt pull on all phones to reset them. This is even more true with a BB because of all the tech these bad boys pack.

12-15-08 02:36 PM
    thanks for all the input. i think ill just order it and try it out for myself. if i dont like it ill return it and get the iphone or maybe an a curve. a friend of mine has the 8830 i think and it does a lot of things i didnt know blackberry's did. turn by turn navi, an html browser, music and video player. so ill try it on my own. thanks again.
    12-15-08 02:37 PM

lol, battery pulls are also the norm for all Windows Mobile phones.

Rule of thumb: Just wait if you are unsure.

I came from a Treo 700wx and couldnt be happier. As for lag, the phone runs way faster than my old Treo... I do experience some 'lag' when unlocking the phone (sometimes the lil clock icon pops up,) but that doesnt happen often.
    12-15-08 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD