My mother in law got the new verizon storm and can't figure it out. She wants to return it and get the curve through verizon (crazy I know). I see the storms going for 600$+ on ebay. My question is does verizon have a way to penalize customers for doing this or do you just switch out the sim cards and call it a day? I figure she could get the curve on ebay as well for around 300? I have the bold on att and have no expirience with verizon. What is the precedure for switching devises with verizon. Thanks in advance
    12-10-08 06:08 PM
    verizon has a 30 day worry free guarantee. They will gladly take the Storm back and sell you a different phone.
    12-10-08 06:11 PM
    Verizon phones are CDMA and don't have sim cards.

She should be able to swap out the phone for a curve. I'm pretty sure you have a period of time (14 or 30 days or something like that) to return/exchange it. She should just go back to Verizon and tell them she is unhappy with it.
    12-10-08 06:14 PM
    Tell her to take it back and swap it out for something she likes.
    12-10-08 06:16 PM
    Verizon phones are CDMA and don't have sim cards.

She should be able to swap out the phone for a curve. I'm pretty sure you have a period of time (14 or 30 days or something like that) to return/exchange it. She should just go back to Verizon and tell them she is unhappy with it.
    The Storm has a sim card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 06:17 PM
    Verizon told her it would be a $36 charge to return. It seems she could make $300 if she wants. If verizon doesn't use sim cards how do you swap devises?
    12-10-08 06:21 PM
    Swaps don't work like AT&T,but that suprises me that they would not help her out. Especially if it hasn't been 30 days

12-10-08 06:28 PM
    change the MEID number of the phone under her account whether it be via verizonwireless.com or calling up CS
    12-10-08 06:30 PM
    The Storm has a sim card because it is a world phone. Most European carriers are GSM and use sim cards. I believe you can go overseas and buy a pre-paid sim card, pop it in, and be good to go. Verizon is CDMA and does not work with sim cards.

Verizon can swap out the device for her. I think paying $36 for the phone you want is less risky than trying to score a clean Curve on ebay. Just my opinion, though.
    12-10-08 06:40 PM
    i think the 36$ is a restocking fee for the storm
    12-10-08 06:43 PM
    There should not be a restocking fee if it is an exchange. She can keep her phone and sell it and buy a Curve off of ebay if she likes.
    12-10-08 06:56 PM
    The Storm has a sim card.

the sim card is for gsm networks over sea's it comes with a vodafone sim installed..

if you pull the sim out your phone will still work..

on verizon it does not use the sim slot.
    12-10-08 06:58 PM
    Have her call customer service and explain that she is within her 30 days and would like to exchange it for a different phone. They should be more then happy to do it with no fees involved.
    12-10-08 07:04 PM
    You can get a free BBCurve thorugh Sprint at Best Buy on a new 2 yr contract. just did it no hassels.

12-10-08 07:05 PM
    Correct but if you talk to the right people they will waive that fee. If not, just tell them you're getting out of your contract entirely (30 Day Worry Free Guarantee). They don't want you to do that so they will "waive the fee this time only."

You can't be a j##k about it though. You've just got to be honest and let them know you like the network, not the phone and want to switch to the curve. You'll have the same exact plan on the phone.
    12-10-08 07:05 PM
    You can get a free BBCurve thorugh Sprint at Best Buy on a new 2 yr contract. just did it no hassels.

Sprint blows ***.
    12-10-08 07:13 PM
    doesnt verizon have a buyers remorse, for the first 30 days? Im the king of taking stuff back and i havent had any 36 dollar fee, Damn the economy is that bad where fees are popping up everwhere?
    12-10-08 07:44 PM
    Doesn't it make more sense for them to keep the phone then sell it somewhere (ex eBay)? Assume they bought the phone for $240-250 after taxes, and assume you can sell it for about $600. That's $350 profit and then buy whatever phone you want for $350 or less, no?
    12-10-08 07:48 PM
    Doesn't it make more sense for them to keep the phone then sell it somewhere (ex eBay)? Assume they bought the phone for $240-250 after taxes, and assume you can sell it for about $600. That's $350 profit and then buy whatever phone you want for $350 or less, no?
    This has been discussed many times so I won't go into detail. if you cancel in the first 30 days, you get out of your contract but you have to return the phone. If you do not, you will be charged the full retail. if you cancel after the 30 day period, you can keep the phone but you pay for your first month of service plus the ETF of 175. Either way you are pay 550 or so. So you can go through the hassle and hope to get 50 profit but if you don't you could lose money.
    12-10-08 07:50 PM
    She can just sell it on e bay and buy her the curve and sell the storm and call verizon and do a ESN swap that easy I have verizon and buy devices off of e bay and crig list all the time

12-10-08 07:51 PM
    Some ebay people stick you with a bad phone then fight you through paypal hoping you give up.

12-10-08 08:01 PM
    if you've had a phone for over 3 days and used more than 30 minutes on it, when you go to a Verizon store to switch to a new phone they do charge you the $36 restocking fee. If you've had it less than 3 days and used less than 30 minutes (seriously, who doesn't use their phone for at least 30 minutes in 3 days time?!?!) they'll swap it for you for free. If she completely cancels w/ verizon w/in the 30 days there is no charge. Like other said, call CS and see if you can get out of that fee...
    12-10-08 08:10 PM
    good luck trying to sell your phone and not pay 500 dollars to verizon
    12-10-08 08:12 PM
    Here is what would worry me:
    1. You sell the Storm
    2. You buy a Curve off Ebay or CL and get JACKED
    3. You now have used your "new contract" or "2 yr upgrade" to get the Storm so you either have to cancel your plan or pay retail for a new phone.
    12-10-08 08:29 PM

This is a great deal on a Curve. Are there any stipulations with purchasing Curve at Best buy? If purchased through Sprint it's $99
    12-10-08 09:09 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD