I figured it out. It takes a while, but it worked.

Format the "Device memory." (EDIT: Or the memory card, if that is where your tones are located -- just read "memory card" everywhere it says "device memory" below.)

1. Connect the phone to your PC using the USB cable.

2. Copy the entire contents of the "device memory" (the onboard 1GB -- NOT the memory card) to a new folder on your PC (call it whatever you like).

3. Once the contents are all copied, go through and delete all instances of "BBThumbs.dat" (you may have to change your "view" options in Windows to permit you to see hidden files). The BB will recreate these files later.

4. Disconnect the device from the PC.

5. Go to Home > Options > Memory > Menu Key > Format. Select "Device memory". Follow the prompts to format the memory.

6. Once the format is complete, pull the battery. Let it sit for 30 seconds.

7. After reboot, reconnect the device to the PC via USB.

8. Open the new folder on your PC. Manually go through each subfolder and copy files individually into the corresponding folder on the DEVICE MEMORY. You can copy multiple files, but don't just drag an entire folder over, as you will end up dragging system files over that you do not want. Make sure that every file in the PC folder is copied to the corresponding folder on the device memory, even if you don't know what it is.

9. Disconnect the device. Battery pull.

10. Check the list of sounds in your sound profiles. You should just have one instance of each tone. \

Good luck!
    01-26-09 08:23 AM
    Oh, how come I dudn't figure that out?

Holy mackerel, I'll just keep them on the phone. The folks at BB better work on that.

Thanks!
    01-27-09 07:32 AM
    Its not as bad as it looks. Took me 20 minutes to format my internal memory and my memory card.

I had an unrelated issue where the music and photo folders on the memory card and internal memory became read only -- couldn't move or rename files. Formatting fixed that problem and coincidentally fixed this one as well!
    01-27-09 09:34 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD