If this were just my phone, I'd think it was something specific to just my phone. But, starting maybe 3 or 4 days ago both my wife's and my (Verizon) Storms started having a serious memory leak.

Im running 148 and she's running 141. The only apps we have in common (aside from the standards) are Google Talk and MeterBerry.

Of note:

1) Both of our phones reset every night in the early AM hours via MeterBerry
    2) Neither one of us has added any new apps in well over a month

If we dont even use the phones (other than answering some phone calls), the phones will gradually lose about 20-25 megs of app memory just sitting there over the course of maybe 14 - 18 hours.

My phone usually hovers around 38 megs and prior to last week, it never dropped below 24 or so (with a day's full use). Now, every night it's down to 10 - 15 with practically no use.

WTH?

Is anyone experiencing this? Do you know if something was pushed out by Verizon? Was one of the standard apps updated recently or something?

I know they pushed out Slacker, but I uninstalled that months ago and it didnt show up again when they pushed it. My wife has has it installed the whole time.

This is too much of a coincidence for it just to be our phones....

Thanks!
    07-18-09 05:09 PM
    Thanks, yes, thats on the to-do list and all....but doesnt really answer the question
    07-18-09 05:32 PM
    its just the way .148 manages the memory. No real answers its just how it is. 151 will improve the memory management. I dont go below 46 with .151 but with .148 I would drop to 29. All with the same apps installed.
    07-18-09 05:38 PM
    I am running .148, downloaded MeterBerry two days ago and have not noticed any degraded performance in available memory. But the most I've ever seen on my Storm is 33.5MB after a reboot or battery pull, then it trickles down anywhere from 15 to 22MB based on usage. Maybe one day someone will figure out where all that memory goes...

I don't use my phone that much for running apps or games either. I have noticed that my battery seems to last longer with the MeterBerry app running which is great.
    07-18-09 05:42 PM
    I thought it was just me. After I installed 148 it would reboot with 40mbs and over the course of the day drop to between 30-35. For the past week or so I've noticed that over the course of the day it drops as low as 10mb and won't reboot higher than 28mg. No app changes. It hasn't affected performance so I wasn't too worried about it. I have Quickpull set to auto reset at 5am daily.

JPD217
    07-18-09 06:25 PM
    if your memory dropping bothers you that much than you should give .151 a try. You will notice a huge improvement over .148

Heres the link if you wanted to give it a go.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

this is the link to .151

if youve never loaded an OS before heres the instructions.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/n0...source-213706/

good luck
    07-18-09 06:32 PM
    or if you just want to stick with .148 than give the following a try.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...y-leak-235048/
    07-18-09 06:41 PM
    Thanks for all the 151 recommendations. It has better memory management...I get that. But, I think you all (except JPD217) are missing my point.

I have never had any serious memory leak issues (thru all the OS's) until last week - with no changes ON MY PART that could have caused it. Nothing. Nadda. And we both use the default theme.

Like JPD217, I used to drop maybe 10 megs throughout the day and then starting last week...BAM....major leakage.

Something happened there and I'm trying to figure out what it is/was.

Whatever the common denominator is, if it happened with both 141 AND 148 then theres is a good chance it could happen with 151 as well - maybe not as severe because of its improved memory management but still...

We also have WeatherBug installed. Forgot to mention that one.

So, something happened (silent update?) with either WeatherBug, GoogleTalk/Maps, MeterBerry...or Verizon/BB pushed something.

JPD217: Which of these (if any) are you running?

Thanks!
    07-18-09 07:20 PM
    Out of the ones you have listed, Google Maps.

For weather I use Berryweather, don't have meterberry. I did upgrade Slacker. I had it before Verizon pushed it, but I like it so I kept it and upgraded to the 2. whatever it is.

JPD217
    07-18-09 08:10 PM
    To the op you might want to remove those apps that are installed. And reload them again one by one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 08:19 PM
    OP. i just got my storm yesterday BUT when my old friend had it before, i was envious seeing 38 megs free.

i had a pearl and 15 was kinda high with what i had going on.

mine hovers between 11, 7 and 30 sometimes.

weird!
    07-18-09 08:45 PM
    Thanks for all the 151 recommendations. It has better memory management...I get that. But, I think you all (except JPD217) are missing my point.

I have never had any serious memory leak issues (thru all the OS's) until last week - with no changes ON MY PART that could have caused it. Nothing. Nadda. And we both use the default theme.

Like JPD217, I used to drop maybe 10 megs throughout the day and then starting last week...BAM....major leakage.

Something happened there and I'm trying to figure out what it is/was.

Whatever the common denominator is, if it happened with both 141 AND 148 then theres is a good chance it could happen with 151 as well - maybe not as severe because of its improved memory management but still...

We also have WeatherBug installed. Forgot to mention that one.

So, something happened (silent update?) with either WeatherBug, GoogleTalk/Maps, MeterBerry...or Verizon/BB pushed something.

JPD217: Which of these (if any) are you running?

Thanks!
    I wish I could help but im not sure what to tell you. If no updates, or new apps were installed it could be one of the current apps eating more memory than before. For example, if you have weatherbug set to automatically update and its trying to update more often it might be using more memory. Not sure though. Are you closing out all the running apps properly?
    07-18-09 08:51 PM
    To the op you might want to remove those apps that are installed. And reload them again one by one.

I dont think that would remove all the file information. Might have to do a wipe handheld and reload all apps. Dont reload them from a backup if you do go this route. Better to load a fresh install of the apps, not from a backup file.
    07-18-09 08:54 PM
    151 solves all memory leak issues. Install it and the storm will work great for you.

Anyone who's not willing to goto 151 to solve their memory problems may as well buy a different device because there are serious programming problems with 148

07-18-09 09:01 PM
    151 solves all memory leak issues. Install it and the storm will work great for you.

Anyone who's not willing to goto 151 to solve their memory problems may as well buy a different device because there are serious programming problems with 148

I wouldnt go as far as to say it solves "all" memory leak issues but it does do a better job of memory management. And for some, .148 works perfectly fine. Not everyone has memory issues on .148. I really didnt but I went to .151 anyways. Much better overall performance.
    07-18-09 09:05 PM
    I wouldnt go as far as to say it solves "all" memory leak issues but it does do a better job of memory management. And for some, .148 works perfectly fine. Not everyone has memory issues on .148. I really didnt but I went to .151 anyways. Much better overall performance.
    Those who say 148 is fine I doubt have even tried 151 its a day and night difference.

07-18-09 09:11 PM
    What about the color banding.

That is the only reason I am trying to stick .148 out

07-18-09 09:15 PM
    What about the color banding.

That is the only reason I am trying to stick .148 out

color banding is not a big deal to me, but .151 doesnt have as much banding as .148 did. Its much improved on .151
    07-18-09 09:19 PM
    Those who say 148 is fine I doubt have even tried 151 its a day and night difference.

agreed but if someone is on .148 and has no issues with it than they dont see a need to upgrade. Especially if they dont feel comfortable loading a non official VZW os.
    07-18-09 09:21 PM
    And that's where I'm at. Some people want to mess around with non-official os's, I don't. I really don't have an issue with the way the phone works, I just responded to the OP's request for anyone who was also noticing what he was.

JPD217
    07-18-09 09:46 PM
    And that's where I'm at. Some people want to mess around with non-official os's, I don't. I really don't have an issue with the way the phone works, I just responded to the OP's request for anyone who was also noticing what he was.

JPD217
    well actaully .151 is an official release. Just not from Verizon
    07-18-09 11:28 PM
    Am on .148 w/wild variation in memory level. Prior to this week (yeh VZW Slacker pushed-icon caused white screen/device error & reboot) memory ranged low40s-mid60s & now mid30s-low60s. Plan 2 go resolved memory leak route. Phone is generally functioning very well (use it a lot) tho it's rebooted a few times & is groggy if picked up during nap.

Wanted 2 chime in but not worried.
    07-19-09 12:29 AM
    I swear you can tell these people how to fix the problem and they are still **** bent on trying to fix something that had issues from the beginning. Went to .151 the day the carrier released the OFFICIAL version (am tired of this being called a leak) and has worked better than anything else. I used hybrids b4 this as they let the phone work the way it should have out of the box, I don't need those anymore as the .151 took care of 99.9 percent of the issues. Memory leaks are damn near non-existent, and everything else just works the way it was intended. UPGRADE PEOPLE, UPGRADE, if not then quit bitchin.
    07-19-09 08:16 AM
    .148 did that to me also. Memory was fine for a couple weeks, but right before the .151 leak my memory started dropping like never before. I don't know why - nothing changed on the phone - but .151 came around just in time!
    07-19-09 11:44 AM
    OP, if you havent already, download .151 and Shrink-A-OS. Run SAOS after you install .151 on your computer and before you load onto your device to get rid of all the preloaded junk you are not using and not needed. You will love the memory you get back and the memory stability of .151
    07-19-09 11:56 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD