I'll be flying this sunday with my blackberry storm for the first time.

Wondered if anyone knew if I need to have them run it through the xray machine or if I can just put in the basket at the metal detector. i think they make you put laptops in the machine, but wasn't sure about my phone since it's electronic and fairly morecomplex than a dumb phone i used to have.

I think I'm just being paranoid, but didn't want to risk harming my precious cra....blackberry. Tried a search, but only found something about pre-boarding search.
    07-31-09 10:27 PM
    had a flight last month ... put it in the basket without any issue
    07-31-09 10:29 PM
    I have a Storm, and work at the Airport. I put my Storm through the X-Ray machine everyday without any problems.
    07-31-09 10:36 PM
    Put it in the good ol basket. TSA shouldn't say anything. Except: nice phone!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 10:47 PM
    Put it in the good ol basket. TSA shouldn't say anything. Except: nice phone!!!

Or set you aside for a more thorough search... Haha

07-31-09 11:37 PM
    I went on a 1 week vacation to Greece a few weeks ago. No issues at all putting it through the X-ray.

Did get some curious looks from people trying to see what it was though.
    08-01-09 12:01 AM
    I usually turn my phone off before putting it in the basket.

08-01-09 12:02 AM
    Somewhat related tangent.

If we put it through a gamma ray machine, will our Storms get superpowers?
    08-01-09 12:07 AM
    Our Storms magically have WiFi enabled whenever it goes through airport security .

On the serious note, all cell phones must go through the X-ray. No if's, and's, or buts. (note the period). Nothing will happen to it. I have been in and out of the country several times, don't worry about it! It will be fine. Just turn off the radio before takeoff to conserve your battery, since you will be far above any cell areas anyway. On my overseas trips, I watch movies on mine with no problems.

08-01-09 12:23 AM
    I've been putting PDAs in those baskets for years. (But the baskets go through the xray anyway, don't they?)
    08-01-09 12:41 AM
    Somewhat related tangent.

If we put it through a gamma ray machine, will our Storms get superpowers?

In short......... Yes.

08-01-09 12:47 AM
    I've been putting PDAs in those baskets for years. (But the baskets go through the xray anyway, don't they?)
    yes they do
    08-01-09 01:21 AM
    I put it in the basket. If you take it through the metal detector, it will most likely go off... since it has metal on it, and people could hide bombs/weapons in a phone.

I have traveled countless times with a phone and put it through the x-ray with no problems at all.
    08-01-09 01:25 AM
    This post doesn't make sense. I am a pilot and if you don't put in the "basket" you would have to carry it through the metal detector, and you would beep. Of course you would send it through the xray in the "basket"
    08-01-09 01:25 AM
    Haha I work for TSA here in dallas and I have a storm..put it thru the xray many a time, no problems. Its the same as any old cell phone. You don't even have to turn it off!

I've even ran it thru facing forward in the bowl at an angle with the video camera recording to see what it looks like on the inside when your stuff goes thru, pretty interesting! [This was during down time of course hah]

08-01-09 01:28 AM
    Wait... at your airport... is there a basket where u can put things and have them not be searched???? that sounds like a pretty un-safe airport to me.

By your post, it seems like when you had your "dumbphone" u just put it in a basket and had it not searched at all....... and just handed back to you after u went through the metal detector.
    08-01-09 01:29 AM
    Dont worry. Those xray machines are as buggy as the storm.

08-01-09 01:34 AM
    if it wasent a cell phone id understand this thread
    08-01-09 02:05 AM
    If I had a dollar for everyone who ever asked "will this X-ray mess up my phone" I would have retired years ago
    08-01-09 07:47 AM
    Traveled across country last month and every security checkpoint I went through, the storm was on and in my Timbuk2 bag. No issues whatsoever.
    08-01-09 08:02 AM
    In reply to nick.nicotine "same as any old phone" I and I'm sure many others would disagree with that statement. Not only is my phone "any old phone" it is my lifeline.

08-01-09 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD