Okay, so I've had my Storm since Dec. 5th. I'm familiar with the "clicking" noise that the phone is supposed to make once you push the screen far enough to click an icon or whatever. But a few days ago, it started making this crunching noise every time i hit the bottom portion of the screen (where Space is when you are typing in BB Pearl mode), and since yesterday, its been making that noise when I push down all over the screen.

Is this happening to anyone else? I can't imagine I've worn down the phone in only 15 days to a point where the screen is on the verge of failure. I think I might try and get a replacement anyway, since one of my corners has never really depressed to click.
    12-20-08 09:04 PM
    Were you eating cookies while playing with your storm?
    12-20-08 09:05 PM
    hahah cookies lol... have you noticed a differnece in the screeen click ?
    12-20-08 09:07 PM
    I dont even eat cookies.

It doesnt sound like a food/particle issue. The noise reminds me of a plastic bottle, where if you push on one of the sides to go in and out a few times, the plastic starts to separate and it starts grinding.
    12-20-08 09:09 PM
    I don't know what's causing your problem, but have you tried re-adjusting your torx screws?
    12-20-08 09:09 PM
    i would send for a replacement sounds like a dome issue
    12-20-08 09:10 PM
    I would sometimes get a crunching sound on the top of my screen where the BlackBerry logo is. That part also didn't click the same as the rest of the screen so I had VZW send me a replacement. New one works without this problem.
    12-20-08 09:16 PM
    Do you have a screen protector on? I do, and when I push one corner of my storm it crunches because the screen protector rubs against the inside corner of the phone (guess it was put on a little off center).
    Did that make sense? lol

CJ
    12-20-08 09:22 PM
    Were you eating cookies while playing with your storm?
    Ha, that was rich.

OP, have you contacted your service provider to see if they have any ideas to what might cause this? From time to time, reps can be quite helpful.
    12-20-08 09:33 PM
    I think you got dirt under the screen. I had the same problem until I took a can of compressed air and blew around the screen. Problem solved! Actually though, that is a flaw of the Storm, having a very small gap around the outer edge of the screen allows particles to get behind the screen. Don't put it in a pocket that has any dirt in it!
    12-20-08 09:38 PM
    I think you got dirt under the screen. I had the same problem until I took a can of compressed air and blew around the screen. Problem solved! Actually though, that is a flaw of the Storm, having a very small gap around the outer edge of the screen allows particles to get behind the screen. Don't put it in a pocket that has any dirt in it!
    do NOT used compressed air. That is a big no no. There have been many posts about that actually causing particles to get blown under the screen. I mean the visible part and that will be annoying to look at all the time.

Second, I have this problem too. I noticed it when i got my second Storm and after a day it was gone, magically. It has returned. My crunch is the lower left quadrant when looking at the phone in portait.

What i think is that the screen is just slightly off center. When typing in landscape i think i'm putting a downward force on the screen causing it to shift down vertically and put it even more off center.

I can tell a slight difference between the physical gap from the left and the right sides. So i'm going to use my torx screwdriver and see if i can adjust the position.

What did you do? Results? I reaaaaaallly don't want to get a third one. I like this one just fine.

I'll report back.
    12-21-08 02:09 PM
    Have you checked to see if the screen protector is aligned correctly? i had a similar problem on my storm. turns out that my VZW screen protector was grazing the bezel on clicks making it sound like a crackling bottle.
    12-21-08 02:10 PM
    Yep. I've taken off both screen protectors that were originally on the phone and I installed an Invisible Shield screen protector. I'm OCD about the position of the screen protector and it was put on perfectly. There's a distinct 1mm edge of the screen around the protector so i know it's not that causing the crunch.
    12-21-08 02:13 PM
    I dont even eat cookies.
    I reckon you eat cookies

In fact, I reckon you're a right cookie muncher
    Last edited by CrackleBerryMound; 12-21-08 at 04:19 PM. Reason: because I felt like it. That happens to me. Once I felt this strange urge to make a change, and you know what, I did...
    12-21-08 04:16 PM
    The more I think about it, the more I'm sure you do eat cookies.
    12-21-08 04:20 PM
    I am having the same issue with my storm. At first it would sound like a pleasant click, now whenever you click the screen, it sounds like a crunching water bottle. My storm is only about a week old. I went to the verizon store and they looked at me like I was an ***** explaining this to them haha. But I know something is wrong. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Should I try to get a replacement and how would I go about doing that?
    12-24-08 02:20 PM
    Not sure if this is the OP's problem, but mine crunched too. I found out that the screen protector I applied was a little to far to the left, so every time I clicked the screen, the edge of the protector scraped against the silver trim part on that side. Took off the protector and reapplied it straight, and the crunch was gone.
    12-24-08 05:34 PM
    A few people have mentioned that, but I haven't applied any screen protector to my Storm. The crunching sound happens no matter where I click the screen. I may have to exchange it for a new one of this persists, and it only seems to be getting worse.
    12-24-08 07:01 PM
    Definitely give them a call then. Maybe some of that button under the screen has chipped off a bit? Make sure if you are within 30 days of having your Storm that they CONFIRM you are getting a NEW phone and not a POS FRU.
    12-24-08 10:45 PM
    yea really....im with crackleberrymound.....you certainly eat cookies
    12-24-08 11:20 PM
    Mine just started doing this about 5 minutes ago .
    Do i call and order a replacement?
    12-25-08 04:21 AM
    Mine just started doing this about 5 minutes ago .
    Do i call and order a replacement?
    If you're not happy with any aspect of your phone, it's your prerogative to have it replaced. A few tips:
    - When you call Verizon, do directly to Technical Support - do not deal with regular Customer Service
    - Confirm you're getting a brand new phone. There are refurbished phones in circulation now and you definitely don't want one of those.
    - Ask for Priority Overnight FedEx shipping. This is the fastest shipping available and gets you the phone by 10AM the next business day.
    - try not to pay for the replacement (and then get credited back once you send your old phone in) - some people are having to do that
    12-25-08 06:25 AM
    I've had this crunch sound since I got the phone. In landscape it happens on left /bottom left area. However it doesn't constantly occurr. I really don't want to send this phone back!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 08:29 AM
    I love cookies....
    12-25-08 08:38 AM
    my lock/vibrate buttons at the top of the phone have started making similar plastic-y, crackling noises. has anyone experienced this?? its really annoying me...
    12-26-08 01:53 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD