**** Problem solved, thanks! ****

Long story short here is what has happened leading up to what I think may be my screen delaminating from what looks like black foam under the glass.

A few days ago I dropped my phone in the toilet (long story to this but the water was clean). I yanked my phone out and shook as much water out as I could after I turned it off, then pulled the battery out and dried the phone in the sun for about 5 hours. After that I used a shop vac to suck out any lingering water from all cracks, holes, etc., and then put the phone back in the sun for a couple more hours. Later I put the phone in a paper bag with a bunch of rice so it would pull any remaining moisture. I left it like that over night. Roughly 20 hours after the incident I replace the battery and everything is fine, all works just the way it should. The only thing that is bothering me, and I don't know if it has anything to do with the water, is it seems to be delaminating from whatever material is behind the glass (maybe foam?).

Now before anyone jumps in to say "it's the screen protector", it's not. I removed the factory screen protector the other day and replaced it with a Verizon protector (by the way the Verizon protectors SUCK in my opinion), which today I removed that because it already looked like junk and I though I would try one of the remaining two I still had. Before I took the protector off there was still what looked like an air bubble on an edge that had developed during my first install of the screen protector. When I removed it and my Storm was naked, I noticed where the air bubble had been (on the side of the screen), there was still a flaw or air bubble right where the other had been. I thought it was a discoloration from the protector and what might have gotten under it so I cleaned the screen only to find it wouldn't clean off, it's still there. I used my finger to push hard on the surface and it actually grew a little up the side of the screen. Mind you this is just at the edge of the phone.

So what do you think? Is it delaminating or what? Has anyone else heard of this? Maybe the swim it took is making it do this?
    Last edited by SeattleReign; 05-13-09 at 07:08 PM. Reason: problem solved
    05-12-09 08:15 PM
    can you include pictures?
    05-12-09 08:22 PM
    I'm going to but I'm charging my camera battery right now and I'm having a hard time getting the angle right. I'll post pics soon.
    05-12-09 08:23 PM
    There were several screen protectors on my original phone before I added any...have you removed all of them? I agree, Vz screen protectors are junk. I use Javo screen protectors.
    05-12-09 08:47 PM
    Oh man, that's embarrassing. I tried and tried to see if there was another screen protector on it but it must be cut to the exact size of the screen. I just had my wife try it (she actually has some finger nails, and what do you know... it must be some moisture got under that last screen protector.

Why does RIM send two protectors on the phone?? I swear I thought I was naked, and loving it by the way. Now it seems there is one more protector...? Woah! So where do I buy more of these protectors? It seems to have little dots on the surface if you look at it just right, like sensors on the surface almost.

Damn I feel like a dolt for not knowing it was yet another protector.

Thanks for your help!!
    05-12-09 08:54 PM
    yep... those dots are sensors. if you look at it from a distance, you'll see that it'll look like a grid. Nothing to worry about there..
    05-12-09 08:57 PM
    So does anyone know where to buy more of these protectors?

And why does RIM feel the need to use two screen protectors on their product?
    05-12-09 09:08 PM
    The two that come with the Storm are not really meant for long term use as screen protectors. They're more like temporary plastic to protect the screen during shipping.

For a better solution, you can get a 3-pack from Verizon, or use something from Ghost Armor, Invisible Shield, BSE, etc.
    05-12-09 09:20 PM
    it's a glass screen

naked? fuhgeddaboutit
    05-12-09 09:34 PM
    So does anyone know where to buy more of these protectors?

And why does RIM feel the need to use two screen protectors on their product?
    Dumb question.... You're saying you removed the layer with the grid pattern on it?????????
    05-12-09 10:02 PM
    user error...
    05-12-09 10:05 PM
    if it had a grid pattern, (im a newbie) but i believe thats probably not a good thing.
    05-12-09 10:54 PM
    Do you have insurance? Get a replacement

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 11:02 PM
    Dumb question.... You're saying you removed the layer with the grid pattern on it?????????
    Excuse my "dumb" question, let me rephrase that; Does anyone know where I can buy some of these OEM screen protectors (the ones with these sensor looking things in it)?
    No, I didn't remove the last screen protector with what looks like sensors, but it is starting to bubble at one edge. So what are the consequences if that IS removed? I mean at some point it looks like i'll have too, so what then? Can I just slap on any other screen protector or do I need to get a special one like the OEM one?
    05-13-09 06:52 PM
    Excuse my "dumb" question, let me rephrase that; Does anyone know where I can buy some of these OEM screen protectors (the ones with these sensor looking things in it)?
    No, I didn't remove the last screen protector with what looks like sensors, but it is starting to bubble at one edge. So what are the consequences if that IS removed? I mean at some point it looks like i'll have too, so what then? Can I just slap on any other screen protector or do I need to get a special one like the OEM one?
    the dots are under the glass layer in the screen, not on the protector.
    05-13-09 06:58 PM
    So no issues to remove that last protector and go with a good one then. Thanks! Just out of curiosity, patches, what are you using?
    05-13-09 06:59 PM
    naked, son!!!! its exciting, i love living on the edge, never knowing whats going to happen. its like going on a road trip for 10 days, but only bringing two changes of clothes...
    05-13-09 07:01 PM
    A picture would really be helpful. That would make it easier for me to understand the problem, unless you disassembled the LCD display and took out the matrix.
    05-13-09 07:02 PM
    Hmmm, fully naked does sound like living on the edge, but a 10 day road trip with only two days worth of clothes..... that's just nasty (LOL).
    05-13-09 07:09 PM
    you've never just up and bounced out during the summer with your friends and only bring your phone, and what's on your back? go buy a toothbrush at the gas station on the way out of town and party it up like its 1999?
    05-13-09 07:13 PM
    Can't say I've done it exactly that way, no. But I'm hearing what you're playing.
    05-13-09 07:48 PM
    roger that
    05-13-09 07:49 PM
    As others told you, take it off, the grid you are seeing are sensors under the glass.

You don't need a screen protector, but don't be afraid to try another one of the VZN protectors. I have had one on since November, the same one, and it is still fine, just needs to be wiped off periodically.
    05-13-09 07:56 PM
    I just found the VZN protectors to be easily marred or show flaws sooner than what seems to be the two OEM ones that came with the phone. The top layer that came with the phone lasted my about 5 months before I just thought it was looking like it needed to be swapped out, the bottom one, which I though was the glass... it's friggin awesome. The Vzn one, that lasted about a week before I was wanting to replace it.
    05-13-09 08:00 PM
    sorry, DJM, party is over mang.

btw, wanna road trip?
    05-13-09 08:02 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD