Hi, I'm very new to the Crackberry Forums, but not new to forums.
    So i'd like to start off by saying Yes, i've searched, and no, there aren't any definitive answers. So maybe posting a new question will help me get a good answer.
    Why is my browser speed so slow? Why is my Storm "requesting" a new website for 3 minutes, until i get "43k/45k" for another 3 minutes? I come from a Dare, and I can confidently say that with my 4 days experience with the Storm, the Dare has a better browser and download speed. I waited 12 minutes trying to load autotrader.com until i quit. The Dare rendered autotrader.com in under 60 seconds, exact same location.

PS - 1. yes, i've done battery pulls.
    - 2 - i'm running factory .75
    - 3 - Yes, my radio isn't set to "global", it's set to 1XEV.
    - 4 - no apps running in the background.
    01-19-09 12:04 AM
    I dont like blackberry's browser. I have Opera Mini on my Storm and it runs ALOT faster.
    01-19-09 12:10 AM
    I have been using BOLT- but it's in beta- and so far I like it a lot.

I upgraded to .86- and my browser was a LOT faster- however- my battery life wasn't as hot- so i went back to .85- as of right now- I am in love .85 (i'm one of the few)

I am able to run Flycast- with no issues at all- it never skips a beat- and I have been able to connect to a station that was broadcasting at 128k.

If possible look at other applications that use the data side- that isn't the browser. It's possible that you could have a defective unit (it's pretty far fetched- but not impossible)

you can download flycast at
    http://www.flycast.fm/blackberry/storm/flycast.jad

this version is made for the storm.

If you are able to use it and listen to the channels without it skipping or "rebuffering" then your 3g should be good- if not- then I'd send it back and get a new one.
    Last edited by DallasinPcola; 01-19-09 at 12:16 AM.
    01-19-09 12:11 AM
    Is javascript on or off?
    SOMETIMES that affects getting the site downloaded accordingly to your phone.. It should be off.. it'd be better if it is..
    Just one thing I can think of, I was gonna mention the whole 1xev thing cause thats the exact side effects I had with mine before i made sure it wasn't in global and it fixed it and hasnt' happened since then, and it happened 2-3 times a day before.. so the javascript is the only thing I can think of...

maybe something regarding service books or hosts files.. but I am not as familiar on what to have resent for those, maybe someone else will post what, but that MAY be something to check into as well..
    01-19-09 12:11 AM
    kinda weird but i spoofed it as IE or Firefox and got a faster speed.

but when i speed tested it on cnet i got about 660kbps which is about 66kb a sec soo its kinda slow but should load pretty fast. Its the app it self thats slow not the phone.
    01-19-09 12:12 AM
    Switched from BB Browser to Opera Mini and Opera is a lot faster. Some of the functions might not work the right way but overall, Opera is good.
    01-19-09 12:13 AM
    I just looked up autotrader on my Storm using both the Storm's built-in browser and the Bolt browser.

Storm browser:
    65 seconds on first load.
    20 seconds the second time.

Bolt browser:
    35 seconds the first time.
    7 seconds the second time.

I have three bars of 1XEV service.

I have no idea why you're having problems, but I might recommend the Bolt browser. You have to relearn how to interact with it, but it's much faster as you can see.
    01-19-09 12:18 AM
    I dont like blackberry's browser. I have Opera Mini on my Storm and it runs ALOT faster.
    I have been using BOLT- but it's in beta- and so far I like it a lot.
    Those who posted a "solution" as using a different browser won't so much fix the OP's issue. I tried different browsers when I had the same issues as he did and it only did the same thing in those as well.
    01-19-09 12:18 AM
    I really appreciate all your responses. By the way, Java is disabled on my browser.

I suppose I could try downloading another browser, but I just feel bad for all the other poor saps out there who don't know any better and are stuck with the stock browser.

Another Example: While on the Facebook Mobile site, I was trying to view a friend's photo album. I literally had to refresh every page because the browser was stuck at "14/16 kbps".
    I'm currently waiting on a friend's profile, and I've passed the 2 minute mark and the status still says "Requesting".

This is dissapointing. I was all ready to give the thumbs up for the Storm. I know the UI is sluggish, and will be fixed with OTA updates, but c'mon, this is getting ridiculous. We shouldn't have to pull our batteries on a regular basis ONLY to get optimum performance.
    01-19-09 12:57 AM
    why is it important to switch to 1xev and not global?
    does this make your connection much quicker?
    edit: Is bolt browser much better than IE,firefox/BB
    Last edited by GandyOwns; 01-19-09 at 01:15 AM.
    01-19-09 01:11 AM
    at first I thought it didn't make a difference, but search "1XEV" and you'll get your answer.
    To sum it up, if you're set on "global", your phone will try to pull signals from both EDGE/3G AT&T towers and CDMA signals from Verizon. So if you own Verizon in the USA, set it to "1xEV and people say it's supposed to be faster since it's pulling from 1 tower.

Unless you have my Storm. Because in my case you're better off tethering a 56k LAN to my phone to get better internet speed.
    Last edited by NBAJWill55; 01-19-09 at 01:28 AM.
    01-19-09 01:25 AM
    what does turning of the java script do for your browser?
    01-19-09 02:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD