Well I had brief touches with the omnia in the store but really never had much time with it.

I finally had a buddy come over who has it and we sat down and really checked it out..

The main issue you have with looking at the screen of the omnia is if you owned or used anything with a high resolution screen or put the storm side by side the omnia's screen looks like it came out of the early 90's. This may not be a problem for some people but its definitely a problem for me.

Another thing I noticed is that the animation it uses in its transition effect makes the device feel almost horrid when switching between the 2. I didn't fully mess with the settings so I don't know if you can disable the transition or not.

To explain the screen try's to perform a 3d playing card flip as if you put your finger on the top right corner of a playing card and then had only 1 corner on the table and rotated the card..

It would probably look sweet if it was smooth but it seemed to get clunky about half way through and you see this almost clipped ugly looking line for a few seconds that go's across the screen like /

It is hard to explain unless you actually witness it.

For the people who may think they fixed windows mobile.. this is almost completely the same as its ever been.. pretty clunky and hard to navigate..

The size of the phone in general may attract people its pretty slim. However if you dump a storm and go to that.. I have a feeling you may be highly disapointed.. someone who is interested in something like a storm and then turns around and grabs that its really a step backwards..

I am not saying that there wont be people who enjoy the omnia but it feels to me more like going back to many years. I don't want to completely turn people off of the omnia but this device isn't going to break wondors.

that being said my buddy is returning his omnia to order a storm ;D
    12-11-08 06:51 PM
    the screen resolution really is terrible

as is the menu structure on the omnia
    12-11-08 06:54 PM
    Had a storm, curiosity got me and went and got an Omnia. Returned it the next day. The storm, even if you have flaws is far better than the omnia.
    12-11-08 06:55 PM
    No 3.5mm headphone jack is a killer for me.
    12-11-08 07:12 PM
    I played with the Omnia a bit more last night....

I can not stand WinMo. I wanted to poke my eyeballs out.
    12-11-08 07:13 PM
    i did like the mouse pad thing on the omnia though.
    12-11-08 07:44 PM
    as i was in the store to order my 4th replacement storm...(all hardware issues) the thought crossed my mind to possibly return it and get the omnia since i had heard it was pretty cool. I went to go check it out and the moment i turned it on i knew i was going to keep my storm.

The screen resolution and image quality is HORRIBLE. it reminds me of the voyager or dare... the colors arent sharp and the resolution is low.

I didnt really mess around with the menu but man, you would think Samsung, one of the best HD LCD panel makers could put a better screen on their flagship phone.
    12-11-08 07:55 PM
    I played with one last night for about an hour. It's a cool phone.......but as everyone has said, the screen resolution blows, and WinMo isn't exactly my favorite OS in the world.

As to the portrait/landscape transition graphic, I agree, it's slow and clunky.

The phone has potential, but after using the Storm since the 21st, I couldn't possibly switch. If I'd never used the Storm, I might consider the Omnia.
    12-11-08 08:08 PM
    It's not their flagship phone.

They have a high resolution version already out in Korea.
    12-11-08 08:09 PM
    Well I had brief touches with the omnia in the store but really never had much time with it.

I finally had a buddy come over who has it and we sat down and really checked it out..

The main issue you have with looking at the screen of the omnia is if you owned or used anything with a high resolution screen or put the storm side by side the omnia's screen looks like it came out of the early 90's. This may not be a problem for some people but its definitely a problem for me.

Another thing I noticed is that the animation it uses in its transition effect makes the device feel almost horrid when switching between the 2. I didn't fully mess with the settings so I don't know if you can disable the transition or not.

To explain the screen try's to perform a 3d playing card flip as if you put your finger on the top right corner of a playing card and then had only 1 corner on the table and rotated the card..

It would probably look sweet if it was smooth but it seemed to get clunky about half way through and you see this almost clipped ugly looking line for a few seconds that go's across the screen like /

It is hard to explain unless you actually witness it.

For the people who may think they fixed windows mobile.. this is almost completely the same as its ever been.. pretty clunky and hard to navigate..

The size of the phone in general may attract people its pretty slim. However if you dump a storm and go to that.. I have a feeling you may be highly disapointed.. someone who is interested in something like a storm and then turns around and grabs that its really a step backwards..

I am not saying that there wont be people who enjoy the omnia but it feels to me more like going back to many years. I don't want to completely turn people off of the omnia but this device isn't going to break wondors.

that being said my buddy is returning his omnia to order a storm ;D
    I had an Omnia for a week while I waited on my storm. It was prolly the most stable WinMo I have delt with. I have owned several! It never once locked up, and I didn't have to softreset it every day like others I have had! The screen resolution is very bad when compared to the Storm! The screen is about par with most smartphones though. WinMo has a LONG way to go to be a very good os! The portrait/landscape was flawless on the one I had. How much stuff did your friend have loaded on his Omnia! This can make a HUGE difference in performance! Also it has a 624mhz processor that is capable of 800mhz. Like I said....prolly the best WinMo phone I have used! But I sent it back when I got my Storm! I fell in love with the Storms screen! The Storm just feels like SEVERAL notches above the Omnia! The Storm is just more user friendly IMHO! I repeat....I sent the Omnia back! The Omnia is a great phone though!
    12-11-08 08:33 PM
    I had an Omnia for a week while I waited on my storm. It was prolly the most stable WinMo I have delt with. I have owned several! It never once locked up, and I didn't have to softreset it every day like others I have had! The screen resolution is very bad when compared to the Storm! The screen is about par with most smartphones though. WinMo has a LONG way to go to be a very good os! The portrait/landscape was flawless on the one I had. How much stuff did your friend have loaded on his Omnia! This can make a HUGE difference in performance! Also it has a 624mhz processor that is capable of 800mhz. Like I said....prolly the best WinMo phone I have used! But I sent it back when I got my Storm! I fell in love with the Storms screen! The Storm just feels like SEVERAL notches above the Omnia! The Storm is just more user friendly IMHO! I repeat....I sent the Omnia back! The Omnia is a great phone though!

thats close to what I was trying to explain.. that for some jumping onto it will be great. But for people used to HD type screens and just that extra plush when you look at the omnia it feels kind of crappy..

but if you have been jamming windows mobile phones and you have loved every inch of it jumping into a omnia will be nice but not as much of a upgrade as grabbing a storm. Just my thoughts..
    12-11-08 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD