That's it for me! QWERTY from here on out! Way too many problems with the screen. Too many problems with the firmware. To those who have had nothing but problems with your Storm One....go to the Two or check out Bold.

Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space
    06-08-10 02:24 AM
    same thing i found out after 3 touch devices (htc,nok,sam).
    guess im a slow learner.

i <3 my bold.
    06-08-10 03:03 AM
    I just wish I would have changed mobiles earlier. Verizon didn't follow through with my phone calls. The last straw was the screen going black and never returning from there. I could tell the phone was "on" because I would receive calls even though the screen wasn't lit and there was nothing on the screen but it was just this massive frustration I had.
    06-08-10 09:12 AM
    As a former S1 9530 owner and a current S2 9550 owner, I can say that for me the experience between the two devices has been almost night and day. I have a hard time "blaming" the touchscreen for most of the problems I had with my S1, since I'm very happy with how my S2 works and I'm loving the touch interface.

I would have to agree with the OP...don't ditch the touchscreen just because you've had a bad experience with the S1, as the S2 is a considerable upgrade. If you just don't like the touchscreen in general...the new Bold does look pretty sharp.
    06-08-10 10:21 AM
    So PaintdrinkngPete, so the S2 is just not a wifi upgrade? I recently got the s1 for $50 and did the os5 official upgrade and I love it. I learned to have my phone the way I like it for when it comes to memory and the keyboard is cool. If the s2 will be the one to only get the os6, then yes I might jump to the s2, but other than wifi and 4 screen sensors, what am I missing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 11:48 AM
    I bought the S1 on its release day and the S2 shortly after release day. You are correct in stating that there are minimal differences, but the ones there are, are pretty distinct. WiFi, if you use it, is a big advantage, and a welcome one. The "four screen sensors" makes typing on the S2--compared to the S1--a night and day difference, especially now that they've modified them with silicone sleeves. I love the typing experience. Of coure, theres also more app memory which is also welcome. I don't worry nearly as much. Finally, I don't do battery pulls, period. I need to clarify that by stating that I often do battery swaps, so that does count as a "pull" but I've gone as long as two weeks in the past, without doing a pull and my memory never varies by more than a MB or 2 and always returns, so that stability is terrific.

The jury is still out as to whether or not the 2 will handle OS 6, but even if it does, I worry that the 256 MB of memory is at the very edge of acceptability and I know I'll probably be upgrading to the 3 when it comes out (assuming it does come out, lol). Operating any OS at the bare minimum of memory is never a satisfying experience (think about any computer that has the minimum acceptable memory when running Windows...yeah, Windows boots up but good luck if you then want to do anything that is even remotely memory intensive).

My S1 was rather excellent when OS 5 came out, I really liked it, but wanted the increased memory and WiFi, so I sold it to get the 2. As I recall, I typically ran with about 15 MB of free memory, though there were a few more apps that I would have liked but didn't wish to shorten the memory any further.

To the OP, I say congrats on your decision, and I know this is a very personal choice. I for one have little interest in physical keyboards, the keys are just too small and a near deal breaker for me. Also, I want real estate for my display, a primary reason I chose the Storm to begin with. I don't want to have to squint/zoom on web displays or see photos in near thumbnail size, just not my cup of tea.

So PaintdrinkngPete, so the S2 is just not a wifi upgrade? I recently got the s1 for $50 and did the os5 official upgrade and I love it. I learned to have my phone the way I like it for when it comes to memory and the keyboard is cool. If the s2 will be the one to only get the os6, then yes I might jump to the s2, but other than wifi and 4 screen sensors, what am I missing?

06-08-10 12:01 PM
    i have no problem with the touchscreen,,but when i use it after a while it gets boring...
    06-08-10 12:33 PM

I bought the S1 on its release day and the S2 shortly after release day. You are correct in stating that there are minimal differences, but the ones there are, are pretty distinct. WiFi, if you use it, is a big advantage, and a welcome one. The "four screen sensors" makes typing on the S2--compared to the S1--a night and day difference, especially now that they've modified them with silicone sleeves. I love the typing experience. Of coure, theres also more app memory which is also welcome. I don't worry nearly as much. Finally, I don't do battery pulls, period. I need to clarify that by stating that I often do battery swaps, so that does count as a "pull" but I've gone as long as two weeks in the past, without doing a pull and my memory never varies by more than a MB or 2 and always returns, so that stability is terrific.

The jury is still out as to whether or not the 2 will handle OS 6, but even if it does, I worry that the 256 MB of memory is at the very edge of acceptability and I know I'll probably be upgrading to the 3 when it comes out (assuming it does come out, lol). Operating any OS at the bare minimum of memory is never a satisfying experience (think about any computer that has the minimum acceptable memory when running Windows...yeah, Windows boots up but good luck if you then want to do anything that is even remotely memory intensive).

My S1 was rather excellent when OS 5 came out, I really liked it, but wanted the increased memory and WiFi, so I sold it to get the 2. As I recall, I typically ran with about 15 MB of free memory, though there were a few more apps that I would have liked but didn't wish to shorten the memory any further.

To the OP, I say congrats on your decision, and I know this is a very personal choice. I for one have little interest in physical keyboards, the keys are just too small and a near deal breaker for me. Also, I want real estate for my display, a primary reason I chose the Storm to begin with. I don't want to have to squint/zoom on web displays or see photos in near thumbnail size, just not my cup of tea.
    Pretty much sums what what I would have said...

Wifi is nice, but to be honest it may be the one added feature I *could* do without (even if I don't want to).

The screen is much improved, IMO, typing is easier for me and it just feels..."better"? I'm not even sure I know how to describe it.

You also really can't brush over the increase in app memory. It was quite refreshing going from the S1 where I was constantly concerned about running out of available app mem and having to judiciously decide which apps I wanted for fear I didn't have enough mem to support them. Now, if I want to try out an app, I install it...end of story.

The entire device from hardware to software just seems more stable as well...I do FAR less battery pulls and/or restarts with the S2 than I did with my S1.

Keep in mind as well I am writing as a person that really liked my S1 when I had it, with very little complaints. This is definitely, however, a once you go [S2], you'll never go back (to S1) type of deal for me. It really is an improved device overall...and not just a few added features thrown on top of the old one. Again, all this is just my opinion.
    06-08-10 01:31 PM
    Great info from the both of u. I probably would appreciate the more app memory if anything. I did like the typing on the s2 but the s1 is doing fine for now. March is when my contract is up so I'm sure there will be something different like the droid shadow. Hehe. Anyways I like the storm and its a good investment. If I get the s2 I will get it off of craigslist.

Last edited by not_addicted77; 06-08-10 at 11:01 PM.
    06-08-10 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD