Just played with a storm at a store in Dallas. It had .65 on it. I got about 30 min with it and spent most of time typing and switching between portrait and landscape in the various applications.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but excuse me if it has.

The rep who let me play with the phone suggested to try to hold the phone at a 45 degree angle then rotate the phone. Up untiil then, I was holding the phone flat in my hands. While holding it flat it definitely lagged, probably 3-4 seconds across all applications. I tried holding the phone at a 45 degree angle it my hands and it DEFINITELY sped up the rotation. He said this was by design, not sure at all if he knew what he was talking about, but it did make a difference. If I was holding it just right and rotated, I could get it to switch in less than a second back and forth. Again, not sure if this is by design, or intended to work this way, but did make a difference.

Again, sorry if i duplicating this, didn't see it anywhere glancing through recent posts.
    11-20-08 02:43 PM
    That makes total sense. If the phone is flat on it's back, it can't know which way it's "tilted". I'm sure the accelerometers need to pass a certain threshold before switching, otherwise it would be flying all over the place when you have it nearly parallel to the ground.
    11-20-08 02:45 PM
    I think it was just a fluke. I don't think they would design it to be held at a 45 degree angle. I could be wrong though.
    11-20-08 02:46 PM
    I don't even know what all the fuss is about with the accelerometer. I've used it on .61 and it seemed fine. No slower than the iPhone I played with in an aStore, which needed to be held at a certain angle as well to get decent performance.
    11-20-08 02:46 PM
    Any iPhone I've played with has the exact same problem.
    11-20-08 02:51 PM
    That makes total sense. If the phone is flat on it's back, it can't know which way it's "tilted". .
    +1.
    Think about it by picturing the Storm lying flat on a table -- how the **** is the phone supposed to know from what side you're looking at it? how is it supposed to know what you consider the top or side?

Edit: wow! who would've thought that the word "h-ll" would get the ****?
    11-20-08 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD