The way I see it, current full-QWERTY-equipped Blackberries have more "gap" vulnerability than the Storm does. The Storm has a gap all the way around its screen (much to some people's dismay) and probably a bit around the buttons at the bottom. A tradition Blackberry, on the other hand, has gaps around every single key on the keyboard. Gap surface area (which I don't care to actually calculate) is much larger for a typical Blackberry than it is for the Storm. Has that ever been a problem for anyone?

There is a science do designing gaps for things like this. The obvious thing people think about is if the gap is too large. Of course, a large gap will allow more foreign material into the device. On the other hand, too small of a gap not only causes the potential for binding and fit issues, but it also means that foreign material will build up over time, with no good way to get it out. Sure, large gaps let it larger debris, but they don't tend to hold onto the truly menacing stuff, which is to say very small build-up (like that crud that is a combination of dead skin cells and oils from your fingers).

I say don't worry about the gap. It's not any worse than on the Blackberry you already have (if you already have one, of course). I'm sure it's as big as it needs to be to prevent binding and unreachable material build-up (in other words, if the gap is big enough that you can clean it out with the corner of a piece of paper every once in a while, that is a good thing).

Now, if you were expecting your Blackberry Storm to be waterproof, sorry about your luck. It's not a G'zOne, afterall.

-SR-
    11-17-08 07:40 AM
    You didn't know that Skyys? Civic's never said anything, but I was pretty sure that was the deal. The picky-ness was a dead giveway. Civs cool either way. Just picky as he ll.
    Never crossed my mind. Just figured Civ's House-like ability to tear apart info and obervations was that of a House-like guy. Go figure it was the avatar that threw me. But you're right. If I had thought Civ was just being "picky" then the thought of Civ being a woman would have crossed my mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by skyys; 11-17-08 at 10:00 PM.
    11-17-08 11:09 AM
    nice picks! thanks.
    that gap at the bottom got me worried
    I'm wondering if it's just due to the hi-res photos but caught my eye too.
    11-17-08 09:58 PM
    So yeah, where's Glen's (OP) review? Still waiting.
    11-17-08 10:22 PM
    Also, the reason the dummy phones don't have the gap is because it's screen doesn't move.
    Don't mean to be disagreeable, but I held a dummy phone two nights ago and the screen definitely moved, clicked or whatever you want to call it. That was the clencher for me that made me decide I for sure wanted the Storm. The click felt great. It made a similar noise to pressing the keys on my 8703e so I felt right at home.
    Last edited by scougarb; 11-17-08 at 10:29 PM. Reason: fixed some spelling errors
    11-17-08 10:28 PM
    ^^^^ Nod.... just didn't want to say anything first when I saw that.
    11-17-08 10:36 PM

What's the deal with all the beads around the arm. Looks lame.
    11-17-08 11:22 PM
    and Ecko...gangstaa haha

By the way does JRSC stand for Jackson Racing Super Charger or am I completely off?
    11-17-08 11:25 PM
    What's the deal with all the beads around the arm. Looks lame.
    *covers head and ducks down*....
    11-18-08 01:05 AM
    Hey Glen,

Would it be possible to get a few pics of the youtube app in action?
    11-18-08 01:10 AM
    Funny.....you are funny!
    11-18-08 01:10 AM
136 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD