I've been getting a ton of complaints from people I'm talking to on the phone saying I sound like I'm covering my mouth when I'm talking.

Anyone else getting this? I'm wondering if my Blackberry is faulty and if I need a replacement or not.

So who else has this problem?
    02-03-09 09:59 AM
    If no one has this issue then perhaps mine is a melon....
    02-03-09 10:08 AM
    When I am in my room at my house and I am talking to my girlfriend she complains about that but that is the only place I have ever received a complaing but I know my signal there is one bar two max so that could be why
    02-03-09 10:08 AM
    I've had some people say the same thing when I talk to them. It doesn't happen all the time, though. Very annoying.
    02-03-09 10:18 AM
    Yes, I get this complaint too often also. I wonder what is up with that?
    02-03-09 10:23 AM
    Well that's definitely interesting to hear that it's just not me. So now i'm curious is all our phones faulty or is this a general Storm issue?

I guess I could try getting mine replaced and seeing if there's a difference...

Ughh
    02-03-09 10:25 AM
    I've gotten similar complaints. I'm using one of those rubber cases, so I wondered if it was due to those and them partially covering the tiny mic hole. Anyone else using a cover of some kind?
    02-03-09 10:33 AM
    There were some posts back in December and even into January on the topic. Most described it at sounding like a tissue or lint was stuck in the mic. The responses then were to try adjusting where to hold the phone relative to your mouth or switch to speakerphone. If neither one of those works, hang up and call right back. 99% of the time, at least from my experience, one of the three fixes the problem. It is not limited to your phone. There was a pretty good post at one point whether it was an os or hardware problem and I never saw a definitive answer posted. It is probably a combination of everything. Either way, it is annoying but should be easily alleviated.

Out of curiosity, on how many calls out of 10 (or 100 I don't care) does it happen? Mine might be one or 2 out of 100.
    02-03-09 10:49 AM
    If no one has this issue then perhaps mine is a melon....
    Yeah, I had the same problem with my 8330. It was brand new, last week. I brought it back and called my wife on another one, all was fine and I swaped out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 10:55 AM
    get this very often from girlfriend and mom in my room but not limited to anywhere else.
    02-03-09 11:10 AM
    I had the same problem. I was annoyed at the sound... as were others.

I have NO idea if this helped anything but the incoming calls, but I went to the call screen, hit the Menu button, went to Options>General Options> Enhance Handset Call Audio>Boost Treble.

The incoming calls sound 100% better, and I have not received a complaint since about the sound on my end.
    Cooincidence? Maybe. But, maybe worth a try...
    02-03-09 11:17 AM
    Had the same problem until I removed the rubber skin I was using

02-03-09 11:24 AM
    strangely, the voice quality is continuously better in Speaker mode.
    odd.
    02-03-09 11:50 AM
    I had this problem on .75 but once i upgraded past it everyone said i sounded better.. weird.
    02-03-09 12:07 PM
    mines naked and i've never had this problem.
    02-03-09 12:40 PM
    My wife always tells me to move the BB away from my face because it sounds muffled. I wonder if its my phone then.
    02-03-09 12:41 PM
    The problem is the noise canceling software in the phone. This was confirmed to me by verizon. They have had quite a few complaints about it. Their recommendation to me (none of them worked by the way) was to
    1. Turn the volume of the speaker down to the minimum you can still hear.
    2. Never use the phone in rooms that have echoes or in rooms without carpet.
    3. Speak softly into the phone.
    4. Use the phone in a location that has constant background noise.
    5. Replace the phone if you think it's too bad for you to use.

I told them those recommendations make technical sense but are totally ridiculous and to send me a new one. We will see if the replacement is better.
    02-03-09 02:25 PM
    /\ Being a software issue makes sense.

I returned my first Storm because most people could not hear me, I even had a few people hang up on me because they thought it was their phone.

The new one dosen't do it quite as bad, but people still complain. Mines got a silicone case on it but it makes no difference to callers, and I got the case when I got my 2nd storm, my first one was always naked.
    02-03-09 02:30 PM
    I find it hard to believe the noise cancellation software has anything to do with it. My Storm is naked and I make calls with it in all manner of environments (loud, quiet, inside, outside, etc.) and have never received any complaints about my voice sounding muffled. I would be more inclined to tie it to something that tends to vary between phones and users.

Is your phone in a case that may be covering the mic?
    Do you hold it too close to your mouth? Too far from your mouth?
    Have you changed your sound settings in any way?

Any and/or all of these could negatively influence outgoing sound.
    02-03-09 02:31 PM
    I find it hard to believe the noise cancellation

Is your phone in a case that may be covering the mic?
    Do you hold it too close to your mouth? Too far from your mouth?
    Have you changed your sound settings in any way?

Any and/or all of these could negatively influence outgoing sound.
    Phone is not in a case.
    I know how to talk into a smart phone.
    No.

Verizon said it was the noise cancellation. They know its a problem they have no way to fix it other than give out new phones or try to convince you that there is not an issue. When I was talking to tech support she kept asking me to repeat myself and I would ask if she is hearing me ok. She said yes so I asked why she keeps asking me to repeat myself. She said "Your phone is working just fine. Our headsets make it hard to hear you."
    Last edited by joshuasmaximus; 02-03-09 at 02:46 PM.
    02-03-09 02:36 PM
    Phone is not in a case.
    I know how to talk into a smart phone.
    No.

Verizon said it was the noise cancellation. They know its a problem they have no way to fix it other than give out new phones or try to convince you that there is not an issue.
    I'm just saying that I find it unlikely because I as a Verizon customer must also have this noise cancellation software in my phone and have NEVER had a problem with the sound quality on my Storm. Zero complaints. It seems a bit hard to believe that if the problem lies solely with the noise cancellation software, some people would have problems and others would not. In fact, I would even wager that MOST Storm users don't have this problem. The same software is installed on every phone flashed for Verizon, is it not?

Not trying to be condescending or tell you you "don't know how to talk into a smart phone", I am just offering my perspective based on logic and personal experience.

BTW I've been on the phone with Verizon CS in the past and they've never needed me to repeat myself. :P
    Last edited by Laren; 02-03-09 at 02:55 PM.
    02-03-09 02:46 PM
    Others have said that sometimes your pinky covers or partly covers the mic hole...
    02-03-09 03:17 PM
    This happens to me often. It's very annoying.
    02-03-09 03:43 PM
    I have had this problem before. There was one time when I was setting up my voicemail and the handset did sound very muffled. I tried it again with the speaker phone and it was much clearer. I haven't received any complaints from people but I never bothered to ask. Don't know how things are now since upgrading.

02-03-09 03:50 PM
    I have gotten into numerous fights with the girlfriend over her not hearing me. I am getting a new storm tomorrow. I hope this gets fixed.

02-03-09 03:53 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD