So my GF used to use her BB Curve on Tmobile. But then she moved onto Verizon under my plan and got a new curve, same 8300 model. She had to do a wipe of her VZ phone cause it wasn't working well, and she didn't do a backup beforehand. She was pissed when she learned she lost all her contacts. I guess she was used to her Tmobile Curve where the contacts could be saved to the SIM Card, so any wipes done, the contacts were never affected, deleted or anything. They lived on the SIM card. (she used google sync and got them back in the end)

I gotta figure that would free up Memory if you could move your contacts on the Storm to the SIM card. Is it possible? Would everything work still, or does it only use the SIM when outside the US? Any comments? I'd love to try this
    05-15-09 08:03 PM
    Try posting this on the Curve forum, you are more likely to get answers.
    05-15-09 09:06 PM
    Try posting this on the Curve forum, you are more likely to get answers.
    But he's asking about the Storm.
    05-15-09 09:52 PM
    But he's asking about the Storm.
    No he said she wiped her new Verizon Curve.

Anyway, you can copy your contacts one by one to the SIM, but they are not used from there. You would just be making a backup of them. I don't know if the Curve has a "Copy all" contacts to the SIM, the Storm does not.
    05-15-09 09:58 PM
    You can copy your contacts to the SIM card, and use them from there, however...

--You can only copy one number at a time to the SIM. If you have two phone numbers for one person (home/mobile), and you try to copy them both, it will pop up an error message saying "Duplicate Name". You would have to give each of those numbers a different name, and you can't just add a number to the end of it (ex. First Last 1 & First Last 2-- doesn't work).

--You can only copy phone numbers to the SIM, not email addresses.

So I would think this wouldn't be a good solution as replacement storage for your contact list. It would be too complicated/disorganized.
    05-15-09 09:59 PM
    So my GF used to use her BB Curve on Tmobile. But then she moved onto Verizon under my plan and got a new curve, same 8300 model. She had to do a wipe of her VZ phone cause it wasn't working well, and she didn't do a backup beforehand. She was pissed when she learned she lost all her contacts. I guess she was used to her Tmobile Curve where the contacts could be saved to the SIM Card, so any wipes done, the contacts were never affected, deleted or anything. They lived on the SIM card. (she used google sync and got them back in the end)

I gotta figure that would free up Memory if you could move your contacts on the Storm to the SIM card. Is it possible? Would everything work still, or does it only use the SIM when outside the US? Any comments? I'd love to try this
    No he said she wiped her new Verizon Curve.

Anyway, you can copy your contacts one by one to the SIM, but they are not used from there. You would just be making a backup of them. I don't know if the Curve has a "Copy all" contacts to the SIM, the Storm does not.
    Read his post again. In the first paragraph he is explaining why he is asking the question about the Storm. Notice the girlfriend found a solution to the deleted contacts.

Then he asks about the Storm-- which was his purpose in posting here.
    05-15-09 10:01 PM
    I'm not sure how you can do this if you use a Verizon SIM card. With my Storm, it's unlocked on AT&T so I obviously have my AT&T SIM card in it. When I want to save a contact to the SIM card, I go to Contacts, press the BB button, and then select SIM Phone Book. It then loads up my contacts and I just add a contact to that list and save it. I also have an option to copy all SIM contacts to the Storm's Address Book.

I doubt the difference in memory is substantial if you don't have a TON of contacts.

If you're able to access a "SIM Phone Book" when you go into Address Book, then this should be possible. I know the Verizon SIM card is used only when roaming, so I wonder if you could access it when, well.. roaming.
    05-15-09 10:03 PM
    I'm not sure how you can do this if you use a Verizon SIM card. With my Storm, it's unlocked on AT&T so I obviously have my AT&T SIM card in it. When I want to save a contact to the SIM card, I go to Contacts, press the BB button, and then select SIM Phone Book. It then loads up my contacts and I just add a contact to that list and save it. I also have an option to copy all SIM contacts to the Storm's Address Book.

I doubt the difference in memory is substantial if you don't have a TON of contacts.

If you're able to access a "SIM Phone Book" when you go into Address Book, then this should be possible. I know the Verizon SIM card is used only when roaming, so I wonder if you could access it when, well.. roaming.
    Yes... it can be done. You can put phone numbers on the SIM by highlighting the number in the contact, pressing BB/Menu button, then clicking on "Copy to SIM Phone Book". You can then access the SIM Phone Book from the options menu in the contact list. If you highlight a number in the SIM Phone Book and press the BB/Menu button, it gives you the options to call, SMS, etc.
    05-15-09 10:11 PM
    Yes... it can be done. You can put phone numbers on the SIM by highlighting the number in the contact, pressing BB/Menu button, then clicking on "Copy to SIM Phone Book". You can then access the SIM Phone Book from the options menu in the contact list. If you highlight a number in the SIM Phone Book and press the BB/Menu button, it gives you the options to call, SMS, etc.
    Very cool. I wasn't sure VZW Storm'ers would be able to take advantage of this.
    05-15-09 10:12 PM
    Very cool. I wasn't sure VZW Storm'ers would be able to take advantage of this.
    I wasn't sure, either, so I just tested it out on mine! +1 for trying things on your own (not directed at anyone in particular)!
    05-15-09 10:13 PM
    Read his post again. In the first paragraph he is explaining why he is asking the question about the Storm. Notice the girlfriend found a solution to the deleted contacts.

Then he asks about the Storm-- which was his purpose in posting here.
    You're right, my bad. I read the whole post the first time, and fixed on the girlfriends problem. On my re-read, I only re-read the first paragraph, as I thought he was asking about his girlfriends phone.
    05-15-09 10:15 PM
    To the OP... and just for a point of reference, my address book database shows I have 113 entries, and the size of the database is 169.1kb.

You can check the size of your databases by going to Options > Status > BB/Menu button > Database Sizes.

I'm not sure that going through putting all of your contacts (phone number by phone number) onto the SIM would be worth the hassle-- I would have to agree with savioAMG.
    05-15-09 10:24 PM
    Worrd thank you all. Yeah,i am talking about the Storm, my GF restored her Curve with Gmail Sync. I just wanted to know if it could be done on the Storm. I was hoping for massive memory saving, but yeah mine is 28.7K i guess. Oh well, guess no reason to even bother.

If i go to contacts and highlight a name and click the Menu button there is no option to copy to SIM card, just view SIM card. Wierd. Guess it doesn't matter since i won't be doing it, just odd though.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. Thanks for the tip on checking database size Morf, didn't know you could do that.
    05-16-09 12:35 AM
    Worrd thank you all. Yeah,i am talking about the Storm, my GF restored her Curve with Gmail Sync. I just wanted to know if it could be done on the Storm. I was hoping for massive memory saving, but yeah mine is 28.7K i guess. Oh well, guess no reason to even bother.

If i go to contacts and highlight a name and click the Menu button there is no option to copy to SIM card, just view SIM card. Wierd. Guess it doesn't matter since i won't be doing it, just odd though.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. Thanks for the tip on checking database size Morf, didn't know you could do that.
    I could've sworn I've seen a copy to SIM card option, but I can't find it now... Maybe it was in a previous OS build. You have to actually go to the SIM card contact list and manually add it as you'd normally add a contact.
    05-16-09 12:38 AM

When you go into the contact list, you actually have to click on one of the contacts to go into the screen where it lists all of their information (not edit... just click on the contact's name). In that screen, highlight the phone number you want to add to the SIM, and that's when the menu will give you the option to save the number to the SIM.
    05-16-09 10:09 AM
    You can copy your contacts to the SIM card, and use them from there, however...

--You can only copy one number at a time to the SIM. If you have two phone numbers for one person (home/mobile), and you try to copy them both, it will pop up an error message saying "Duplicate Name". You would have to give each of those numbers a different name, and you can't just add a number to the end of it (ex. First Last 1 & First Last 2-- doesn't work).

--You can only copy phone numbers to the SIM, not email addresses.

So I would think this wouldn't be a good solution as replacement storage for your contact list. It would be too complicated/disorganized.
    Hi Morf32.... you seem pretty knowledgable about the backup stuff.... do you know if there is a program that will backup the entire storm to the sd card? I had a program that did this with my Palm Treo 700p. Sure miss having that for times on the road...
    Thanks...
    05-18-09 01:01 PM
    Hi Morf32.... you seem pretty knowledgable about the backup stuff.... do you know if there is a program that will backup the entire storm to the sd card? I had a program that did this with my Palm Treo 700p. Sure miss having that for times on the road...
    Thanks...
    What exactly are you looking to back up on the SD card?
    05-18-09 01:06 PM
    You can then access the SIM Phone Book from the options menu in the contact list. If you highlight a number in the SIM Phone Book and press the BB/Menu button, it gives you the options to call, SMS, etc.
    I can't seem to access the SIM phone book. I can add numbers to is as you indicated but cant find the SIM phone book anywhere.... can you give me a hint where to look? Thanks
    05-18-09 01:11 PM
    I can't seem to access the SIM phone book. I can add numbers to is as you indicated but cant find the SIM phone book anywhere.... can you give me a hint where to look? Thanks
    Sure! When you're in your address book, just press the BB/Menu button, and it will be an option in the menu that pops up.
    05-18-09 01:13 PM
    Sure! When you're in your address book, just press the BB/Menu button, and it will be an option in the menu that pops up.
    Not on my phone there isn't. Not sure why you would want them on a sim card anyway just back them up to your pc.
    05-18-09 01:49 PM
    Not on my phone there isn't. Not sure why you would want them on a sim card anyway just back them up to your pc.
    Very strange that one Verizon Storm would have that option, and not another.
    05-18-09 02:38 PM
    Very strange that one Verizon Storm would have that option, and not another.
    Agreed. I have no sim card options anywhere on my phone except in the actual options section...........options>advanced options>SIM Card.

Maybe I did in the original OS, but not that I recall.

As I said though. Simple as pie to backup to pc and not worry about it.
    05-18-09 02:57 PM
    Agreed. I have no sim card options anywhere on my phone except in the actual options section...........options>advanced options>SIM Card.

Maybe I did in the original OS, but not that I recall.

As I said though. Simple as pie to backup to pc and not worry about it.
    Correct. We let the OP know that the address book doesn't take up much room on the phone anyway (as far as memory is concerned). The thread was actually started as a "will it save memory on the phone?" question. It originally wasn't about "the best way to back up the contacts."

I agree. If you are just looking to back up calendar/contacts, best to do it with a PC.
    05-18-09 03:04 PM
    What exactly are you looking to back up on the SD card?
    The entire phone...as with the Treo, it backup all, including operating system etc... so that in the event of a total crash you could restore the phone to the last backup.
    05-19-09 04:55 AM
    The entire phone...as with the Treo, it backup all, including operating system etc... so that in the event of a total crash you could restore the phone to the last backup.
    Yeah its called desktop manager. It came with your phone. Install it on you computer and there is a backup function. Please keep in mind it backs up everything but apps. Separate procedure for those

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 07:38 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD