Hello All. Well, I sprung for the Kool-Aid and bought a Motorola Droid. Thanks to all who have posted to help me on this fourm. I will check in every now and then, since my wife still has a Storm1.

FYI, the Droid is simply awesome. I absolutely loved my Storm1. No problems at all. But, I am pleased with my move.

For those interested, there is really no contest between the two --- Droid wins. I say if you cannot have an Iphone (which is my case where I live due to lack of decent ATT coverage...) 2nd place is the Droid. Even playing around with other's Storm2's with wifi does not narrow the gap. Again, I say all this not to bash the Storm, but rather to say I found something better.

As the commercial says,

Stay Thirsty My Friends
    03-19-10 08:57 AM
    I am also looking forward to upgrading to the Droid soon. How is typing on it after a while, did you find you got used to it?

I spend a lot of time in the calendar and task apps, how are they compared to the standard bb pim apps?

Any issues on your Droid like weve had on the storm (memory leaks, random reboots, battery issues, sluggish at times.... etc?)

How would you compare browsing, phone call quality, the camera, and the media player to the Storm?

Thanks!
    03-19-10 01:31 PM
    Good luck..You were of great value to this forum..you will truly be missed..The stories, the laughs we shared..good times..from all your 12 posts.
    03-19-10 01:49 PM
    Good luck..You were of great value to this forum..you will truly be missed..The stories, the laughs we shared..good times..from all your 12 posts.
    Are you being sarcastic?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-10 01:53 PM
    I am also looking forward to upgrading to the Droid soon. How is typing on it after a while, did you find you got used to it?

I spend a lot of time in the calendar and task apps, how are they compared to the standard bb pim apps?

Any issues on your Droid like weve had on the storm (memory leaks, random reboots, battery issues, sluggish at times.... etc?)

How would you compare browsing, phone call quality, the camera, and the media player to the Storm?

Thanks!
    Hello wmscottmc.

My opinion:

1. Typing is via touchscreen and physical keyboard with flat keys. I do not type all that much and found the Storm to be hard until the ver. 5.0 OS came out, after which it was improved. When I did type, my preference was for the landscape mode. As for the Droid, I find the touchscreen to be ok, not quite as good as the Storm. For my uses, the physical keyboard has been easy to use. You have to slide the screen out to get to the keyboard. Some have posted they do not like the flat keys, but I have had no trouble. My Opinion Verdict: slight edge to Droid.
    2. I keep my Calendar in Outlook 2007. Google has Google Calendar Sync that automatically syncs the Outlook with my Gmail calendar, which in turn automatically syncs with my Droid. It is rare when I enter an appointment outside of Outlook. Moreover, I have clients I work with that schedule things all the time in Outlook where I just reply and accept the appointment, which in turn automatically posts to my Outlook Calendar, and very soon syncs to my Google Calendar and my phone. Verdict: Droid.
    3. I rarely use tasks. Instead I prefer to just use Calendar for this. Hence, not a whole lot of experience to give you a decent opinion. Guess: a tie.
    4. I have only had my phone for a little over a week, and so far I have had no problems. No memory leaks. Browser experience favors Droid by far. It is not even close. Screens render on my Droid very rapidly both under wifi and 3G. BB Storm can take next to forever to render. Typical example using 3G: Droid at 20 seconds, Storm at 2 minutes. Bear in mind my Storm was without wifi, so I do not have a wifi to wifi comparison for you.
    5. Phone call quality: as I have experienced with other Moto phones, Droid by a wide margin. My wife has a Storm1 and sitting in the same room in the house, Droid trumps Storm.
    6. Have yet to use camera all that much. The few times that I have, the pic was not all that great inside. Early verdict: Storm.
    7. Media player: So far, Droid is excellent. The screen size is bigger. Storm full screen = 480x360 on 67mm wide by 51mm height. Droid full screen = 848 x480 on 83mm wide by 47mm height. Moreover, the Droid screen is beautiful. In my eyes on a par with an Iphone. Playback so far on movies that I ripped and loaded is better on the Droid. Verdict: Droid by a wide margin.
    8. Battery: Definitely Storm is better. When I get up in the morning, I pull the Droid from the nightstand charging cradle, and the battery is good for about 12 hours of what I call average use. Storm would last several days. But, since the Droid is kind of like a small laptop, in a sense, a lot of apps with wifi and gps pulls more power. This does not bother me. Might even get another battery. Verdict: Storm.
    9. A few other things: a. The Droid app store totally dominates the BB app store. Not even close. b. I got an auto cradle which, when the Droid is put in it, puts it in Auto mode, allowing for Google Maps, Voice turn by turn directions. This is awesome. This reason alone might be enough for some folks to spring for a Droid. I have a recent Garmin and the Droid puts it to shame. Not to mention you can get Google Latitude up and running. My wife and I are now using it so we can see where we are on trips. Definite safety factor. (Two Storms can do this right now, but Droid does it better, imho.); c. I was originally worried about email, since I am often a road warrior on business. So far, my email is working great. I rate it and the Storm about equal, perhaps with a slight edge to the Storm. d. I have a personal Gmail account along with Google Voice. I set up voicemail so my voicemail is handled by Google Voice. In short this is awesome to have free voicemail with text transcription.

In summary, as I see things, while I really liked my Storm, I do like the Droid so far. It appears that I will not return it in my trial period.

Best wishes to you in your decision process!

Regards.
    03-19-10 02:15 PM
    Hello hudss. I love it! Ha, ha!
    03-19-10 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD