I know with my old phone which was not a blackberry, I was able to go over the 160 characters allotted for a SMS but the storm stops you. Is there anyone to just keep typing and it sends the text to the person in two texts rather than one? It's annoying when I'm texting someone something long and I have to send the first text then open another and start up again.
    04-29-09 12:41 PM
    it is what it is, sorry
    04-29-09 12:42 PM
    Yeah on the basic phones as long as you are on the same carrier you can go for long as you want.
    04-29-09 12:47 PM
    I was able to do this with t-mobile, but when I switched to Verizon wasn't able to. I think it might be a limit that Verizon likes to have.
    04-29-09 12:49 PM
    Yeah on the basic phones as long as you are on the same carrier you can go for long as you want.
    Carrier is irrelevant, it depends on the phone. SMS can ONLY support 160 characters. Many phones will just break the long messages up into 2 and send 'em. I am surprised BB's don't do this.
    04-29-09 12:53 PM
    I was able to do this with t-mobile, but when I switched to Verizon wasn't able to. I think it might be a limit that Verizon likes to have.
    Nope. I've been on verizon for a looong time, and I've been able to send long SMSs from a variety of phones. They just split the message up.
    04-29-09 12:54 PM
    I was told by Verizon (when I owned the Samsung i760) that its setup that way simply because these smartphones are capable of email. They said that a message longer than 160 characters may as well be sent as an email, so thats why the phones dont support extended text messages.

I didnt really buy it, and I would very much like my texts to be split into 2 messages...but it is what it is, i guess.
    04-29-09 12:54 PM
    i agree, its kind of messed up with the 160 limit. not everyone has a phone that is capable of receiving email. it should split the messages. my BB storm stops me at 160 and it pretty freaking annoying when i send a message to my wife (who has a basic phone{she likes it for some reason}) and i have to send 2 messages to finish what i was saying. i cant always call her.
    04-29-09 01:03 PM
    I was told by Verizon (when I owned the Samsung i760) that its setup that way simply because these smartphones are capable of email. They said that a message longer than 160 characters may as well be sent as an email, so thats why the phones dont support extended text messages.

I didnt really buy it, and I would very much like my texts to be split into 2 messages...but it is what it is, i guess.
    Yea, they're full of crap. My VX6800 could automatically split SMS messages. SMS has a max of 160 characters, period. Anything more can be sent as an MMS or email, or if the phone supports it, split into multiple SMS messages.
    04-29-09 01:04 PM
    Just use mms, MMS is not just for pictures guys. and it's no limit to the text in MMS
    04-29-09 01:04 PM
    Just use mms, MMS is not just for pictures guys. and it's no limit to the text in MMS
    but other people have limits on MMS. When I was with sprint they limited the number you could get with your plan separate from normal SMS. Years ago it was like 450 SMS and 10 or 20 MMS before you had to start paying for each one. Pretty stupid, but still in existence with some characters. Also, most of the time I don't know if I'm going to hit 160 char before I have to start up the old copy-pasta into MMS. Thank god for that feature, though. Good thing the iPhone threads because they'd be screwed.
    04-29-09 01:11 PM
    well there's a 1000 character limit iirc.....but w/ mms, you gotta make sure the other person can a. receive mms, & b. will not get charged for it......if you don't have vzw unlimited, you would get charged something like a quarter per mms (varies i'm sure per carrier).......i believe this is a vzw thing w/ BBs, b/c my friends w/ BBs on other carriers still send me multiple messages that clearly came from one session. Quite annoying indeed & this was one of the things i was lookin' fwd to doing when I got my BB!
    04-29-09 01:20 PM
    but other people have limits on MMS. When I was with sprint they limited the number you could get with your plan separate from normal SMS. Years ago it was like 450 SMS and 10 or 20 MMS before you had to start paying for each one. Pretty stupid, but still in existence with some characters. Also, most of the time I don't know if I'm going to hit 160 char before I have to start up the old copy-pasta into MMS. Thank god for that feature, though. Good thing the iPhone threads because they'd be screwed.
    bah, clearly i'm a slow reader/typer haha
    04-29-09 01:24 PM
    Lol, we can't send more than 160 chars in an sms, but we can send a single text message to someone 10 times, and then open it up and click resend. You can spam someone 300 texts in like 5 min. It crashes my friends curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 01:50 PM
    EMS support is too patchy -- particularly cross-carrier -- for Verizon to really support it. And whereas no one cares about the predictability of some random guy's Chocolate's (or other LG flavor-of-the-month) messaging habits, smartphones are typically corporate devices -- a market where, if it isn't predictable and documented, it isn't desirable. Thus, it'd be to Verizon's advantage to lock out EMS to avoid the chance of a message getting mishandled.
    04-29-09 01:51 PM
    my old LG voyager would just split the messages into another message. It seems like such an easy programming thing to do. Why not do it????
    04-29-09 02:56 PM
    If you unlock the storm and use it for a different carrier the 160 limit will go away. It seems to be a Verizon bb thing. My friends tmoblows storm allows for more than 160.

04-29-09 02:56 PM
    Lol, we can't send more than 160 chars in an sms, but we can send a single text message to someone 10 times, and then open it up and click resend. You can spam someone 300 texts in like 5 min. It crashes my friends curve.

Wow... if you were my friend, and you did that to me, you wouldn't be my friend anymore.
    04-29-09 03:07 PM
    If you unlock the storm and use it for a different carrier the 160 limit will go away. It seems to be a Verizon bb thing. My friends tmoblows storm allows for more than 160.

this is true - i put my att sim card in my unlocked storm just to try it out and it says at the top where the character limit is it says something like "160 1/6"
    04-29-09 04:50 PM
    Just convince all your friends and family to get BLACKBERRYS then use bb messenger. You can make your message as long as you want and you don't use up your text. Just a thought.

Last edited by crackheadallday; 04-29-09 at 04:59 PM.
    04-29-09 04:57 PM
    Look spec was created in regards to CDMA and SMS. Even on other Verizon phones it only supports the splitting with other Verizon users. Since these networks (Alltel and Sprint) won't send these hacked SMS out of networked it probably was disabled by RIM to keep its millions of business users from sending messages that have been cut off.

04-29-09 05:32 PM
    Carrier is irrelevant, it depends on the phone. SMS can ONLY support 160 characters. Many phones will just break the long messages up into 2 and send 'em. I am surprised BB's don't do this.
    some can, the storm can as well....i had it glitch one day but only once and it let me do this. Idk y they stopped it...all my windows based deivices let me do it.
    04-29-09 05:39 PM
    this is true - i put my att sim card in my unlocked storm just to try it out and it says at the top where the character limit is it says something like "160 1/6"
    The 160 Character limit is a CDMA berry thing. Has nothing to do with verizon. All newer Sprint, Alltel, and Verizon BB's do this. This topic has been killed a few times over now. SMS stands for short messaging service. They don't call it LMS. The short and sweet is if you want to send a message that is longer than 160 characters you need to do one of 3 things. 1) make more than on message 2) send an MMS or 3) send an email.
    04-29-09 06:17 PM
    I am looking for a few more beta testers to try-out my app I'm getting ready to release which targets this issue. I especially need some Storm users to give it a good test drive. If anyone is interested, please send me a direct email or PM by clicking on my screen name. Thanks.
    04-30-09 12:10 AM
    GeekyD
    Love to help you on the beta for your potential SMS app but my meager post count (more of a reader than a poster) won't allow me to PM or email you. Drop me something at shepditch AT gmail.com if you need a storm owner to drive it around for you a bit.
    04-30-09 12:32 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD