Is there any way I can get more than 160 char on sms? Now before everyone starts flaming me and saying this is a topic already talked about over and over since the first day blackberry came out I have evidence it can be done. My storm is unlocked and I use an AT&T sim card and switch back and forth when I need to. When I use sms on AT&T it says 160 1/6. Meaning I have the ability to input 960 (160X6) char. Is this a feature specific to AT&T or can I somehow import this to my verizon storm? I also know if I want to send a longer message I can send a mms but sms is easier.
    04-11-09 12:29 AM
    My storm is unlocked and I use an AT&T sim card and switch back and forth when I need to. When I use sms on AT&T it says 160 1/6. Meaning I have the ability to input 960 (160X6) char. Is this a feature specific to AT&T or can I somehow import this to my verizon storm?
    I would LOVE to see a pic/screencap of this. Without a pic, I don't see anybody doing it with a BB on any network.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-11-09 at 03:27 AM.
    04-11-09 02:46 AM
    I have no idea if you can. If its not apart of verizon than you probably wont be able to. It does sound as though thats a provider option.
    04-11-09 03:01 AM
    I don't think there's a way to change it. I could send larger txt msg's on other phones on Verizon though. And our iPhone can send larger txt msg's too...it just splits them up into separate msg's like you describe. I have no idea why this can't be done on the Storm. There is a way around it though. You can just send MMS msg's instead without media files.
    04-11-09 03:22 AM
    I don't think there's a way to change it. I could send larger txt msg's on other phones on Verizon though. And our iPhone can send larger txt msg's too...it just splits them up into separate msg's like you describe. I have no idea why this can't be done on the Storm. There is a way around it though. You can just send MMS msg's instead without media files.
    It can be done on the Storm. I think this is a Verizon thing as multiple SMS works through ATT.
    04-11-09 03:32 AM
    It can be done on the Storm. I think this is a Verizon thing as multiple SMS works through ATT.
    It's not a Verizon thing... since other Dumb Phones on Verizon will do this already (ala eNV and eNV2 and many others). BB phones simply do not split greater than 160 characters into multiple SMS messages.
    04-11-09 03:36 AM
    My resolution: type more concisely and get to the point!
    04-11-09 04:06 AM
    All my blackberries on T-Mobile did it as well, thought it was as storm problem. I hate running out of room on texts. Never did it before this one. My original pearl (the ones that didn't have the texture in the trackball -- oldschool!) wouldn't even alert me that it was multiple texts, it just let me go on forever and did it's own thing and rebuilt them on the other side.
    04-11-09 04:15 AM
    Change ur settings from global to gsm n it will do it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 04:35 AM
    It's not a Verizon thing... since other Dumb Phones on Verizon will do this already (ala eNV and eNV2 and many others). BB phones simply do not split greater than 160 characters into multiple SMS messages.
    Not so. My old Curve on T-Mo would automatically split messages. I think its a VZW issue.
    04-11-09 06:57 AM
    BlackBerries on Verizon won't do it, but pretty much all of the other phones will. I know my glyde, chocolate v1 and v2, and the vx8330 all would.
    04-11-09 07:25 AM
    You could send the text as an MMS, and use more than 160 characters. You do not HAVE to send a pic you can send a just text MMS.
    04-11-09 08:08 AM
    It has something to do with the CDMA radio with the BB OS that limits this. So it is kinda a verizon thing but it isn't. I think it is more a CDMA BB thing more than verizon. I believe the same holds true for BB on sprint and alltel as well.

04-11-09 08:14 AM
    It's not a Verizon thing either. It's just the Storm. My wife uses the Samsung Omnia on Verizon and it drives me absolutely crazy when she sends me a long missive that delivers as 5 SMS messages in a row! Use email! :-)

So, yes, it could be fixed. Will it? Who knows...
    04-11-09 08:14 AM
    It's not a Verizon thing either. It's just the Storm. My wife uses the Samsung Omnia on Verizon and it drives me absolutely crazy when she sends me a long missive that delivers as 5 SMS messages in a row! Use email! :-)

So, yes, it could be fixed. Will it? Who knows...
    Let me correct you since you obviously have not had any other BB on a CDMA carrier. IT IS A CDMA BB THING. Not verizon.

04-11-09 08:18 AM
    not a storm thing!!!!!!!!!.. this is what you do... setup>manage connections>mobile network options>network technology>GSM/umts. and save.... not go to sms and you will see 1/6 problem solved.. enjoy!!!!

just wont work if ur on verizon lol
    Last edited by Jerzeykid; 04-11-09 at 10:19 AM.
    04-11-09 10:11 AM

The thing is I don't want to use my gsm. I want to use CDMA with verizon. And in the original post I said I know I can use mms but I would rather use sms. But here is the screen shot. I forgot the crackberry cardinal rule. No screen shot means it doesn't exist
    04-11-09 03:46 PM
    so we all know now that its not the storm. its not a verizon thing. so it must be a blackberry on verizon thing. my curve did the exact same thing too. i just need to know now who to yell at to get me something every other provider offers. verizon or rim?
    04-11-09 03:54 PM
    How do you use GSM on the Storm? when i switch from 1XEV to GSM my network says "SOS" and I have no service.
    04-11-09 03:56 PM
    How do you use GSM on the Storm? when i switch from 1XEV to GSM my network says "SOS" and I have no service.
    is your storm unlocked? and do you have a gsm sim card running?
    04-11-09 04:00 PM
    I'm working on unlocking it right now. Where can I get a gsm sim card?
    04-12-09 12:12 AM
    Just unlocked my phone where do I get a GSM card and can I keep my number?
    04-12-09 12:33 AM
    You already have a SIM card. It comes with the Storm for roaming out of the States. Unless you want to pay for AT&T, T-Mobile or any other GSM carrier...

I remember on one of my Verizon phones, if you text over 160 characters it automatically converted to a MMS and received as a MMS. It was so convenient to read long text messages in one file.

I think it was the Treo that did that.
    04-12-09 12:44 AM
    typical verizon..always making things harder then they should be
    04-12-09 02:31 AM
    It's this called EMS or something (like MMS and SMS)
    04-12-09 02:44 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD