I searched but to no avail. Does the $30/month BB plan include texting? I'm already paying $20/month for texting which benefits myself and my younger sister who I pay for under my plan. I'm having a very, very hard time justifying $30/month ($360/year) just so I myself can have internet which she cannot use.

If it does include texting, then I can simply get rid of the texting, buy myself and my sibling a blackberry and only see an increase of $10/month. If not, then I guess no storm for me $30/month on top of the $110/mo I pay is just too rich for me right now
    12-30-08 07:32 PM
    It is data only. Try Verizon Wireless for details
    12-30-08 07:34 PM
    If you text a lot between the two of you I would suggest using the mobile IM apps on the blackberry as they use the data part of the phone.
    12-30-08 07:37 PM
    You wouldnt buy a Ferrari for you and your sister even if you could afford the upfront cost and not the "maintenance" etc for the equipment?

Plain and simple if you cant justify the expense that comes with it, its not for you. Try 2 LG DAREs no extra expense and nice touch screen phones, or better yet perhaps the Samsung Omnia I know its WM but the data isnt required to have the handsets and they also have internal WiFi built in!

Take care no disrespect only perspective check!
    12-30-08 07:41 PM
    If you text a lot between the two of you I would suggest using the mobile IM apps on the blackberry as they use the data part of the phone.
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

Why pay for texting when you can IM for essentially free? I sort of think of my 29 (minus discount) a month for my BB data plan as an "internet and email" plan. Then, I get my instant messenger (beejive, instango, bb msr, etc) for free.
    12-30-08 07:44 PM
    You wouldnt buy a Ferrari for you and your sister even if you could afford the upfront cost and not the "maintenance" etc for the equipment?

Plain and simple if you cant justify the expense that comes with it, its not for you. Try 2 LG DAREs no extra expense and nice touch screen phones, or better yet perhaps the Samsung Omnia I know its WM but the data isnt required to have the handsets and they also have internal WiFi built in!

I'm really not sure what you're getting at with that analogy.. I just said I wouldn't buy it if that were the case.

That's disappointing to see. I always thought the Iphone had a ridiculous plan, but it's $50/month for the Storm just to have internet/texting before the actual plan? That's crazy imo. Especially if ONLY blackberries can use the data plan and no one else on my plan can.

For what it's worth, I had a Dare and I thought it was a terrible phone. The touch screen is terrible. Texting on that thing is like poking myself in the eye with a fork, only less enjoyable. Only save grace of it was the camera. I think a phone like that without any sort of app store is a pointless phone in the end. Why have a nice, big touchscreen if it can't do much?
    12-30-08 07:47 PM
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

Why pay for texting when you can IM for essentially free? I sort of think of my 29 (minus discount) a month for my BB data plan as an "internet and email" plan. Then, I get my instant messenger (beejive, instango, bb msr, etc) for free.
    Wouldn't whoever I was trying to message have to be on whatever app I was using to message them? I message a lot of people (not just my sister.. in fact I rarely if ever text her) and I don't think I could convince the ~30 or so people I regularly text to start sitting on AIM so I could message them.
    12-30-08 07:49 PM
    ...That's disappointing to see. I always thought the Iphone had a ridiculous plan, but it's $50/month for the Storm just to have internet/texting before the actual plan? That's crazy imo. Especially if ONLY blackberries can use the data plan and no one else on my plan can...
    It's the same as the iPhone or any other smartphone from Verizon or AT&T for that matter. $30 for the data plan, $20 for the messaging plan, plus your voice plan of $39.99 or higher). The data plans do not share. If $50 is too much, there are lesser text plans:
    1500 messages PLUS Unlimited IN Messaging $15.00/month
    500 messages PLUS Unlimited IN Messaging $10.00/month
    250 messages $5.00/month

not sure how much you text...
    Last edited by howie; 12-30-08 at 08:13 PM.
    12-30-08 08:08 PM
    I text too much not to have unlimited. I just think it's borderline robbery to be charging $100+/month for some calls and using the internet/texting on your phone.
    12-30-08 09:38 PM
    I pay the 5 bucks a month for 250 msg. I use PIN messaging with other BB users to cut down on SMS.
    12-30-08 09:43 PM
    Err...tell your sister to get her own plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 09:47 PM
    She's 15 and my parents are completely anti-technology. I don't want her to be the only kid in her grade who doesn't have a phone. I didn't get my first cellphone until 11th grade and it was sucky and embarrassing always having to explain to people I didn't have a cell.
    12-30-08 09:49 PM

Not that it matters, but the Omnia DOES require a data plan. All new smartphones do.
    12-30-08 10:13 PM
    I searched but to no avail. Does the $30/month BB plan include texting? I'm already paying $20/month for texting which benefits myself and my younger sister who I pay for under my plan. I'm having a very, very hard time justifying $30/month ($360/year) just so I myself can have internet which she cannot use.

If it does include texting, then I can simply get rid of the texting, buy myself and my sibling a blackberry and only see an increase of $10/month. If not, then I guess no storm for me $30/month on top of the $110/mo I pay is just too rich for me right now
    $ 20 Is only for all kinda of msg, TXT, PIX and Video
    $ 30 Is only for BB Data, e-mail and internet service
    12-30-08 10:20 PM
    I text too much not to have unlimited. I just think it's borderline robbery to be charging $100+/month for some calls and using the internet/texting on your phone.
    Does VZW charge too much for text messaging? Absolutely, it's highway robbery. But VZW is not alone in this gouging... others service providers also charge for SMS so in that sense VZW's not special.

Is there any way around it? Like others have said, use BBM, AIM, or any other texting program that uses data instead of SMS/MMS. And if SMS is really that important to you, then you'll have to pony up.
    12-30-08 10:22 PM
    You can txt phones from email my gf has done it from hotmail and it worked fine. Not sure how the receiving phone gets it billed sms vs data so it could run up your friends phone bill.

12-30-08 10:37 PM
    That's true. I just send/receive a few thousand texts a month I'm guessing so doing all these extra steps to send a text for free would just be too time consuming. Unfortunately I'm just going to have to live with my mediocre phone and forgo all these fun new phones. It's a shame no one can run a business without price gouging the consumer.
    12-30-08 10:58 PM
    It sounds as though you made up your mind but for what its worth i noticed that you have stated that 30/month for internet and email for your phones. Thought i would let you know that it would be 30 per phone with a blackberry. and another thing even at&t is ridiculous with 450 minutes the blackberry and unlimited texting would be 89.99 verizon would be 89.99 for the same package. this information was taken strait off bother verizon and at&t websites
    12-30-08 11:19 PM
    That's why blackberry are not fot regular consumer and more for business people where the phone can make money fot them.

The price is what you listed above and I think is worth it.

12-30-08 11:31 PM

This is false my Verizon rep told me that all smartphone/blackberry have to have some kind of data plan! But I agree with the thing about getting the dare they are really good phones and internet on them is fifteen dollars but depending on what you are using your bb determines if its worth it I'm not a business man yet but I am in college and when I get emails from teachers or have to turn in papers via internet email its great so just do whats right for you. good luck

p.s. punctuation is horrible I know in a rush lol
    12-30-08 11:41 PM
    Wait wait wait.. it's $30 PER blackberry? Jesus christ. That's ******* ridiculous. Adios fellas, I will never buy a blackberry at that point. I feel like Verizon rips me off too much as it is. That is unacceptable. It's a shame, too, because the storm is a fantastic phone
    12-30-08 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD