So a thought crossed my mind a minute ago about dloading music with a BB.... I personally don't believe in buying music, as long as there are people willing to share that music with you. Anyways, my question is, is there any kinda of program that a BB can dload...maybe some sort of mobile torrent program? If there is anybody out there willing to share their wisdom with me. Please let it be done. Thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 03:39 PM
    i dont think so. it doesn't sound legal...

10-29-08 03:41 PM
    Interesting concept...I know there is one for Windows Mobile called WinMobile Torrent but haven't heard of one for BB.
    10-29-08 03:42 PM
    its always amazing to see the things people try to squeeze out of there little devices. running a program that not only downloads but also uploads to anyone who leeches would more then likely send up some sort of flag at verizon if it doesnt get you banned first
    10-29-08 03:44 PM
    lol

verizon watches all data usage.... lol

10-29-08 03:49 PM
    Torrents = Good Time!

This would be nice...
    10-29-08 03:57 PM
    what kind of torrents would one need to download on-the-go?

10-29-08 04:02 PM
    100% illegal and every record label would have many lawsuits against the providers.
    10-29-08 04:03 PM
    100% illegal and every record label would have many lawsuits against the providers.
    pretty much what i figured...

10-29-08 04:09 PM
    So a thought crossed my mind a minute ago about dloading music with a BB.... I personally don't believe in buying music, as long as there are people willing to share that music with you. Anyways, my question is, is there any kinda of program that a BB can dload...maybe some sort of mobile torrent program? If there is anybody out there willing to share their wisdom with me. Please let it be done. Thank you.

cough cough....iPhone has it and its great. One thing I do miss
    10-29-08 04:28 PM
    Haha, maybe this wasn't such a good idea....now that i think about it. Hmm, that's one good perk for having an iphone. Was somethin to hope for...ah well, no worries, will work around this in the near future. Thanketh for thoweths thoughts on thee subject.

10-29-08 04:42 PM
    Running torrents on your Blackberry would also push you up toward the 5GB monthly data limit on your data plan (from what I understand, VZW plans are technically capped at 5GB, but since it's usually next to impossible to get anywhere close to that in a month without tethering---or downloading and uploading via torrents, as the case may be---VZW just calls them 'unlimited').
    10-29-08 08:26 PM
    I can see someone hitting 5GB. on there BB. and without torrents running. If you stream a lot. Like music or videos you would be able to hit 5gb easily. even if you are doing legally. I mean with the new Tivo BB program comming out streaming video from it. Or if you are just using a sling box how much data is that if you are only doing it on your lunch, or regular breaks, and if you live in the city and take the bus then streaming for the hour ride home. Also if this thing connects to your computer for music and or for video then streaming movies and music from your desktop. which i was told you can do with a BB. And lets not forget RSS feeds and watching live video on the elections.

I would like to know if anyone out there knows how much a single movie streamed would be in MB?? I know when i put my DVD's through the program that allows me to watch them on my PSP they are only 750MB..... But what about watching you tube or like going to NBC's web and watching Knightrider or Sanctuary the episodes you missed last night how much data is that??

And that does not even include your emails and syncing your BB and computer over the air.
    Last edited by WG; 10-29-08 at 09:19 PM.
    10-29-08 09:15 PM
    I am reading this thread in a bleary-eyed state before the coffee has kicked in, so forgive me if I don't understand. "I personally don't believe in buying music"...How do you envision the musical artists get paid for their efforts? I am a music teacher, and know many musicians who barely scrape buy, often needing a second job.. Everyone wants something for free, but we don't think of the consequences. More and more excellent musicians choose another vocation because of economics. I understand all about the record companies and their greediness. The attitude of refusing to buy music because we can get it for free illegally will continue to erode the arts in our culture.

10-30-08 04:53 AM
    I'm sure most of the "musicians" that have big record contracts that the OP is talking about downloading are barely scraping buy.
    10-30-08 12:34 PM
    10-30-08 12:38 PM
    Torrents in and of themselves are not illegal, you can distribute legal software via torrents. When you use torrents to download music/movies/etc that you otherwise need to pay for it is 100% illegal. Unfortunately for the technology it is mainly used to distribute illegal software.

I doubt RIM would allow such software on their devices.
    10-30-08 12:56 PM
    I am reading this thread in a bleary-eyed state before the coffee has kicked in, so forgive me if I don't understand. "I personally don't believe in buying music"...How do you envision the musical artists get paid for their efforts? I am a music teacher, and know many musicians who barely scrape buy, often needing a second job.. Everyone wants something for free, but we don't think of the consequences. More and more excellent musicians choose another vocation because of economics. I understand all about the record companies and their greediness. The attitude of refusing to buy music because we can get it for free illegally will continue to erode the arts in our culture.

Hey, at least he can take a strong stance!
    10-30-08 01:06 PM
    I'm sure most of the "musicians" that have big record contracts that the OP is talking about downloading are barely scraping buy.
    I know quite a few local bands that got signed and it's not as glamorous as one might thing. They aren't rolling in the dough. Counter effect of people downloading without it being legal, leaves less money in record labels pockets to pay those "overpaid" musicians, and also limits the amount of musicians they can bring in, thus there are 3 bands on one record label worth a dang, and not 40. Downloading music without paying, no real excuse for it. Just buy rhapsody, almost everything you could want for $15 a month, and you can transfer them. Atleast it's a cheap alternative, 1 cd a month for 5 million + songs sounds like a deal to me!

PS: I'm the biggest rhapsody promoter you could ever meet,
    10-30-08 01:24 PM
    You don't need a Torrent program for the Storm...just a good RDC client (Remote Desktop Connection). I have an RDC app for my Palm. I run Azureus (downloading legal software, of course) on the desktop PC and just connect to the desktop via the Palm. I can also pull a file off the Desktop and stick it on the Palm's memory card. Oh...and RDC is encrypted so, let VZW try to see what I'm doing.

The desktop is doing all the major uploading and downloading via your home broadband connection...you're just "watching" via the CDMA connection.
    10-30-08 01:31 PM
    Yea, figured that would be the route to go. Like i said before, I'll get around this. Simple sync and tada.

10-30-08 01:35 PM
    Clearly you haven't read the safe harbor provision of the DMCA.

Legality's aside. Why anyone would want to run a torrent client from a phone? Seems like an awful waste of battery power.

You don't need a Torrent program for the Storm...just a good RDC client (Remote Desktop Connection). I have an RDC app for my Palm. I run Azureus (downloading legal software, of course) on the desktop PC and just connect to the desktop via the Palm. I can also pull a file off the Desktop and stick it on the Palm's memory card. Oh...and RDC is encrypted so, let VZW try to see what I'm doing.

The desktop is doing all the major uploading and downloading via your home broadband connection...you're just "watching" via the CDMA connection.
    This is a much better solution. uTorrent also allows this you can set up webpage access to your client running on your machine at home w/ SSL even if you so desire.
    Last edited by devman; 10-30-08 at 04:32 PM.
    10-30-08 04:30 PM
    i tried and tried to find a torrent app for bb and couldn't do it.

btw **** verizon and their data monitoring, i pay for my unlimited i'm going to use it damnit.
    10-30-08 07:14 PM
    btw **** verizon and their data monitoring, i pay for my unlimited i'm going to use it damnit.
    It's cool to be a rebel........until they send you a huge bill or terminate your service.
    10-30-08 07:23 PM
    try play.it (website) very cool new app from CBS RADIO!
    10-30-08 07:53 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD