I performed the following:

1. deleted BB app world
    2. stopped weatherbug auto locate and display hi/lo temperature
    3. deleted my verizon
    4. deleted 1 other app, cant remember, thus I obviously didn't use it...

I think 1 and 2 were the key. I have read several complaints about app world and a few about weatherbug.

The point is that my phone battery life has increased by at least 50% it seems. And the system memory seems to run down much slower(use to always hit 5MB and even 0KB, but now it takes a long time to hit the single digits...) OEM VZW OS 4.7.0.148

just posting for anyone interested... if you have app world and weatherbug and you battery life an memory suck, try deleting them and see if there is a difference.
    01-04-10 12:06 AM
    Agreed. App world devours memory, especially on .148.

Other tricks: turn off the "Global" setting to "1xEV" (Options > Mobile Network > Network Technology) and turn off the GPS if you don't use it a lot (Options > Advanced Options > GPS > Location Aiding: Disabled). However, a lot of good apps such as Viigo or Google maps use the GPS so its not always beneficial to do this.

Hope this helps as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 12:50 AM
    if you delete bb app world can you still run the apps it installs
    01-04-10 09:34 AM
    Jeez. How about upgrading to OS 5.0 already? You're really limiting the ability of your Storm. It'd be like buying a brand new PC and installing Windows 98. 5.0.0.419 is fantastic. I run app world, weatherbug, ubertwitter, and BBM all day and at end of day I still have 50% battery life and memory starts at 32 Megs and only drops to 28 after a full days work.
    01-04-10 11:24 AM
    I'd love to upgrade, but I am (1) scared, and (2) already have all the apps I want and don't want to deal with reinstalling everything... When I have a free day that I want to "waste" away by playing with my phone OS (since I would use Shink-a-os and probably end up having to do it a several times) I'll consider doing the upgrade. 148 works fine for me now.

Plus I am REALLY attached to the flick keyboard.

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
    01-04-10 01:19 PM
    how are you "running" app world

i mean it exits out of the program when you're not browsing/installing apps
    01-04-10 01:57 PM
    Then get BBSAK (Swiss army knife) and back your apps. And how hard is it to just download them again. Trust me . 5.0 is so worth it. Ditch 4.7

01-04-10 02:23 PM
    Downloading the new OS was the best thing I ever did. Take the time and do it right. What's the point of having a Storm if you're not playing with apps and having fun with it. I can send you my old Krazr in trade for it.

It won't take long to dl your apps again and that benefit cannot be countered.
    01-04-10 05:00 PM
    Even of you just go to 5.0.0.328 you would be a whole lot better off than 4.7. Memory is way better in 5.0.

01-04-10 05:33 PM
    I'd love to upgrade, but I am (1) scared, and (2) already have all the apps I want and don't want to deal with reinstalling everything... When I have a free day that I want to "waste" away by playing with my phone OS (since I would use Shink-a-os and probably end up having to do it a several times) I'll consider doing the upgrade. 148 works fine for me now.

148 wasn't broken on my Storm, but wiping and going to 419 made a huge difference. I trimmed the junk I don't use, reinstalled the few apps I do use and now I startup with 45.2MB.
    01-05-10 02:34 PM

I upgraded to 5.0 when it was released by verizon. I just connected to DM and let it do its thing and that was it. I did not have to reinstall any apps that I already had. Memory is much better. Have a good many apps and boot up around 23 and never go below 20 (rarely) on a good days use.

Do you not get the "upgrade available" when you connect to DM?
    01-05-10 04:04 PM
    Yeah I am dying to upgrade..... Tried this morning and was left with a blank Storm..... Had to reload old 4.7..... Don't know what went wrong..... I deleted vendor and used apploader...???????

01-05-10 09:33 PM
    Yeah, I haven't been on CB for a while. Just saw some forums talking about .419. I have .328.

Is .419 an official release as they say? Way too many posts to read through them all. Issues? Noticed several in scanning as far as radio and memory.

thanks
    01-05-10 09:54 PM
    I was just wondering if there is anyway install the OS everyone is talking about without the usb cord? I lost mine and havent been able to update yet. Thanks for the help guys.
    01-05-10 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD