Should this be on or off on the handset. What is best? What about auto enable when connected?
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-21-09 at 04:12 AM.
    03-21-09 04:08 AM
    I have it on so much easier for updating media that way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 05:34 AM
    Should this be on or off on the handset. What is best? What about auto enable when connected?
    You need to have Mass Storage Support on in order to move files on and off the SD card, using the USB cable. I prefer to turn off Auto because I like to be prompted with the "yes" or "no" question. But that is just me because I like control.
    03-21-09 08:01 AM
    You have a choice between Yes, No, and Prompt because Mass Storage Mode and Media Manager are incompatible. From the 8830 User Guide, pg 148:
    I cannot open media files
    Try performing the following actions:
    � If you are trying to open a media file on your BlackBerry� device and your device is connected to your computer, disconnect your device from the computer or turn off mass storage mode.
    � If you are trying to open a media file on your computer using mass storage mode, verify that you have closed the media manager tool of the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager.
    � If you are trying to open a media file on your computer using the media manager tool of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, verify that mass storage mode is turned off on your device.

You can verify this for yourself by repeating the demonstration I describe below:

If I connect to Desktop Manager, answer No to the Mass Storage Mode Prompt, and perform a backup, my BB Home Screen background stays my normal palm tree beach scene. If I connect to Desktop Manager, answer Yes to the Mass Storage Mode Prompt, and perform a backup, my BB Home Screen background will change from the pic that's stored on my Media card to the default pic associated with my BBDimension Zen Theme. That's because the BlackBerry can't access the Media Card to load the picture while it's in Mass Storage Mode. As soon as I disconnect from the USB Cable, which exits Mass Storage Mode, my Home Screen background loads my normal palm tree beach scene.

I have Auto enable set to Prompt. If I'm copying files, I answer Yes. If I'm using DM to install apps, I answer No. But DM works just as well if I answer Yes.
    03-21-09 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD