I have not had any issues with .83 so far.
    12-20-08 01:28 PM
    I would wait for an official version to hit the market before I would download anything. It's apparent that there is a reason it hasn't be released yet.
    Verizon needs time to get acclimated with the new software so when people have questions about it, they can be prepared to answer them.

To answer the OP's question, I think the OS is just fine. You have to remember that you're getting a very skewed base here with a lot of people new to Blackberries/don't want to bother to read instructions before actually doing anything.

I've had 0 issues with .83 from dl to install to daily use.
    12-20-08 01:33 PM
    The fact that .83 doesn't support BT headset use with media (videos) is a "Show Stopper" for me. If that's not working the release is a "bust".

I agree with what several others have said, a new version can't "BREAK" what others fixed.
    12-20-08 01:35 PM
    I also had some problems with this update when I first tried to install it. In fact I had to quit Christmas shopping to come home and fix it.
    When I first downloaded it my DM would not recognize it, actually it never recognized it. I had to install it by trashing the vendor file and using the app. loader. Maybe DM did not recognize it because I never loaded the official .75 version on my phone when it came out.
    When I loaded it the first time I got a weird error message on my computer during mid install; I knew I was in for some trouble right then. Think that was caused by the USB connection on my computer not my phone. After install it clearly was all fouled up. I had to battery pull from the start, it was typing slow and freezing, would not shut off unless you pull the battery, etc, etc. But the phone was working and I had to go shopping.
    But on my way to the mall the phone just went black except for the verizon sign on the screen, I could still make phone calls through the bluetooth but that was it. I was pissed and was on my way home to rant and rave on crackberry!!! But when I got home I calmed myself down and remembered this is a leak, there are no guaranties that this was going to work, plus I did not want to be one more annoying pissed off storm owner that can not use his phone because of user error (which is many of these people in this forum).
    So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it in a different usb port. After it finished I did a battery pull and this time I had no other issues. The browser seems smoother and when making a call I hear the dial tones where my .75 version was somewhat muted. Of course I might find some problems in coming days but I always have the trusty backup of .75 and I know the "officiall" version is coming soon.
    Form a happy storm owner!!
    12-20-08 02:22 PM
    IMO if they released the phone with that mess .65 yes they will have no problem releasing a half good .83

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Haha! I usually don't like reading posts where people complain, but that was funny.

I work for Mercedes Benz, and I have seen them send some weird stuff out the door before, things that were OBVIOUSLY not right. So if Mercedes will do it, I am sure that Verizon would too. It's all about $$$$

I have no complaints towards .83, it works great on my Storm. Of course I hope that Verizon's official release would be better, but if it was exactly the same, I still would not have any complaints.
    12-20-08 02:28 PM
    i think most of the minor problems are user mistakes.. i cant find anything serious enough for me to even post it... im updating just to be a follower ...lol, when i did run into problems it was because i didnt heed the advice of the knowledgable ones here, like not wiping my storm before the upgrade
    12-20-08 02:36 PM
    i mean, considering that this update for the storm leaked...and the bold update leaked too, i would not be surprised if they came from Blackberry directly...you know they read this forum.
    *dont forget that this is a leaked version of an update...obviously it is not THE update...therefore all these problems are caused by incompletion...duh.
    To clarify, all updates come from RIM. They can be approved and released by carriers, like Verizon, but all are technically fromm Blackberry.

Second, there are no diffrences between leaks and officals. When .75 was leaked, it was the exact same as the .75 that was released by Verizon. So, if .83 is ever offically released by Verizon, it will be identical to the one that we all have. I suspect since the release is buggy, they will build apon it for their next release (it will be a higher number than .83).
    12-20-08 02:46 PM
    Most of the complaints seem to along the lines of " I refuse to read directions and now I'm missing X". that's not the updates fault..I spent some time reading and rereading the guides, then practiced on my old phone.Now I feel comfortable wiping,installing,and restoring my BB to where it was before I started.
    I like the update. It helped with some issues I had been having (sound quality)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 02:47 PM
    I'm guessing many of the problems of .83 are the result of improper installation.
    Give that man a gold star. Exactly.
    12-20-08 02:49 PM
    Wow, people are complaining about a leaked OS. Well, I can see right now, that this will probably be the last "leaked" version we see.
    People who expect something to magically work (as in a normal install) try to do something beyond their skill level (i.e. a leaked version), and then complain it doesn't work.
    Please remember that this leaked version is not officially sanctioned by Verizon or RIM. Yes, it has the code, but neither of them made it available "officially".
    12-20-08 03:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD