I know some have seen improvements, but it seems like a lot of new problems are cropping up from this upgrade. It fixed some issues and broke others. I'm not sure it's a good trade off. Is it possible they will just wait for the next release before making it available?
    12-20-08 12:10 PM
    Your question doesn't make any sense...
    12-20-08 12:13 PM
    Only problem I've run into is the whole disconnecting me from data every so often thingy. It's not difficult or time consuming to fix though so eh, w/e.
    12-20-08 12:15 PM
    Its a leaked version not the final version. When you choose to install this you have to understand that its not designed to be perfect. I had battery pull / media card issues and went back to 75. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out when the real thing is released.
    12-20-08 12:19 PM
    Only problem I have is that now the blue highlight won't follow my finger anymore on the shortcut screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 12:21 PM
    Its a leaked version not the final version. When you choose to install this you have to understand that its not designed to be perfect. I had battery pull / media card issues and went back to 75. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out when the real thing is released.
    the leaked version and the official version will be the same. there is no difference between them. that's why I wondered if Verizon would release it officially or just wait for the next one which seems to be in the works.
    My two cents - If their release of .75 with many more bugs than the leaked .83 is any indication of what VZW will do, I would bet .83 will come out eventually...probably in the next day or two.
    My two cents - If their release of .75 with many more bugs than the leaked .83 is any indication of what VZW will do, I would bet .83 will come out eventually...probably in the next day or two.
    but it didn't seem like 75 broke new things. it didn't fix everything but I don't remember seeing so many posts about things that did work but now don't.
    12-20-08 12:23 PM
    Her question makes perfect sense...? Do you speak-a the Engrish?

*And for the record I have noticed an onslaught of problems from posters after doing the upgrade. This was not the case from the leaked .75 so I will be waiting for the official release before doing anything on this one.
    12-20-08 12:26 PM
    Umm thanks for that waste of post. It did make sense seeing as this is a leaked version. He was simply asking if they will wait for let's say .85(just a random number) to officially release the update and .83 never be released.
    12-20-08 12:27 PM
    what part don't you understand?
    12-20-08 12:28 PM
    I'm guessing many of the problems of .83 are the result of improper installation. As the Storm user base is likely more composed of new Blackberry users (like me) than the users of the Curve or the Bold, many more people probably misunderstand the importance of backing up your phone or even basic troubleshooting.

Additionally, many Storm users are new to this forum, and are not able to use the search function. Previously, most individual problems could be solved by the search function, which many Crackberry.com users would use. Now, most problems can still be solved by the search feature, but new forumgoers refuse to use it, so it appears as though there are more problems than usual.
    12-20-08 12:29 PM
    I'm guessing many of the problems of .83 are the result of improper installation. As the Storm user base is likely more composed of new Blackberry users (like me) than the users of the Curve or the Bold, many more people probably misunderstand the importance of backing up your phone or even basic troubleshooting.

Additionally, many Storm users are new to this forum, and are not able to use the search function. Previously, most individual problems could be solved by the search function, which many Crackberry.com users would use. Now, most problems can still be solved by the search feature, but new forumgoers refuse to use it, so it appears as though there are more problems than usual.
    I agree as far as installation problems, but I'm talking about issues after install with the way the software is running. It does seem like a lot of new problems cropped up with this one that I didn't see with .75.
    12-20-08 12:32 PM
    i mean, considering that this update for the storm leaked...and the bold update leaked too, i would not be surprised if they came from Blackberry directly...you know they read this forum. how could they not?

Personally, I have not had any problems with the new update, except for one that is. The only thing I have noticed is that the mute button does not change from loud to vibrate when the phone is locked. people have reported it and I'm sure that will be fixed in the actual release of the update. They are also probably testing which phones are really messed up--originals or replacements...because in the week it took them to send me my replacement, the tolerances in the factory probably changed and stuff because I have noticed a better click. these are all things worked out intensely when a new phone comes out.
    12-20-08 12:33 PM
    I would wait for an official version to hit the market before I would download anything. It's apparent that there is a reason it hasn't be released yet.
    12-20-08 12:33 PM

How so?
    I'm relatively clueless more often than not and understood like a champ.
    12-20-08 12:34 PM
    *dont forget that this is a leaked version of an update...obviously it is not THE update...therefore all these problems are caused by incompletion...duh.
    12-20-08 12:34 PM
    I too have noticed in the forum that a lof of people are complaining of things that worked before dont work anymore. Im sticking with leaked .75 until i here of drastic improvements. I really have no issues with the .75.
    12-20-08 12:40 PM
    IMO if they released the phone with that mess .65 yes they will have no problem releasing a half good .83

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 01:05 PM
    *dont forget that this is a leaked version of an update...obviously it is not THE update...therefore all these problems are caused by incompletion...duh.
    if they release .83 it will be exactly the same as the leaked version. there is no difference between leaked and official if it has the same version #. that's why I was thinking they might not release this one and wait for say .85 or whatever the next release is going to be. This one seems to be buggier than .75.
    12-20-08 01:05 PM
    The issue with 83 is that iks breaks things that worked in 73 and 75.

That should be a stopper for Verizon.

"fixes" are great, but regressions make for unhappy campers.
    12-20-08 01:14 PM
    You need to realize your sample population is very skewed and a poor representation.

For one, compared to the overall number of Storm users out there, the number on CB is probably under 10%. It's probably less than 1% really. For another, it's far more common for people to complain when something doesn't work as opposed to comment on how it's working exactly as expected.

So you have a small number of the total Storm users who may have applied the leaked update, and then because a small number of that small number of total Storm users complains about problems, you make the mental leap that the update is rife with problems. Hopefully you're seeing the giant chasm that exists between the evidence you have and the conclusion you reached from it. We're not talking just jumping over a small stream, we're talking grand canyon or bigger.
    12-20-08 01:14 PM
    so...should I even take the time to update OTA when it does officially relase?
    12-20-08 01:20 PM
    You need to realize your sample population is very skewed and a poor representation.

For one, compared to the overall number of Storm users out there, the number on CB is probably under 10%. It's probably less than 1% really. For another, it's far more common for people to complain when something doesn't work as opposed to comment on how it's working exactly as expected.

So you have a small number of the total Storm users who may have applied the leaked update, and then because a small number of that small number of total Storm users complains about problems, you make the mental leap that the update is rife with problems. Hopefully you're seeing the giant chasm that exists between the evidence you have and the conclusion you reached from it. We're not talking just jumping over a small stream, we're talking grand canyon or bigger.
    Good point and I can see that may be the case. I just noticed so many more posts about new issues than on the previous releases and not all the people having problems were new to doing this.
    12-20-08 01:22 PM
    .83 works fine for me. I did a wipe and clean install and have no issues. As far as the blue highlight following you finger..not sure it that is a problem or by design to speed it up...either way not a big deal. .83 is the best so far and I have used them all since .65
    12-20-08 01:22 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD