I did a quick search but didn't find anything about it so I'm asking this because I'm really confused.

I just want to know if this is common and I just haven't noticed it or if something is wrong.

Today I set my Storm down on top of a small wrench that is not magnetic. When I picked it up, the wrench was stuck to the bottom of the phone where it has the Qualcomm 3G branding. I tested it on a few other things and it is definitely the phone. I even took the battery cover off to make sure that wasn't it and metal objects stuck to the phone pretty strongly.

It did not stick to other areas of the phone, just down there.

Thanks
    04-15-09 12:38 PM
    Yes, they've got a magnet for the sleep function. Though, mines never picked anything up!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 12:41 PM
    That's the speaker which has a magnet in it.
    04-15-09 12:42 PM
    Hey mine does it too, cool.
    04-15-09 12:52 PM
    Yes, they've got a magnet for the sleep function. Though, mines never picked anything up!

I don't believe the phone has the magnet in it... I think it's the cases that have the magnet that activates the sleep function in the phone. Previous poster is correct... It's the speaker magnet that is picking things up. I've had it happen with paper clips a few times.
    FYI: Be careful where you sit your phone. I set mine down on my desk at work the other day and when I picked it up I had, unknowingly, picked up a recently pulled staple with it. I think I'll live, but a staple under the fingernail is NEVER comfortable.
    Like someone said earlier. Speakers are magnets. Therefore, if the phone has a speaker, which it does, then it also has a magnet.
    04-15-09 01:03 PM
    I have one question, why would it have a magnet for the sleep function? Maybe I'm completely dense that I can't figure this out... lol
    04-15-09 01:10 PM
    my pearl had a magnet in it, im pretty sure its used for the sleep function, Blackberry cases have a magnet in them too which tells the phone to sleep. I dont know the technical specs on it but somehow thats how it works
    04-15-09 01:14 PM
    Yeah everytime I put my storm in my pocket, when I pull it out I end up grabing change aswell lol.
    04-15-09 02:44 PM
    and be careful of staples on your desk! I've grabbed my phone and actually stabbed myself with staples that were sticking to the back
    04-15-09 02:48 PM
    Yeah everytime I put my storm in my pocket, when I pull it out I end up grabing change aswell lol.
    This is puzzling. US currency is not magnetic

04-15-09 02:58 PM
    Oops sorry for my misunderstanding.
    My phones never picked anything up and still doesn't!

04-15-09 03:01 PM
    Yeah the speakers are magnets but the phone is supposed to know when its in the holster (I'm assuming the one you get from BB is magnetic) So there must be a receiving magnet on the phone other than the speaker..
    04-15-09 03:10 PM

Haha! I was thinking the same thing.
    04-15-09 03:31 PM
    Haha! I was thinking the same thing.
    Well, CB.Mike-D's profile says he's in Toronto, so the question is really: is canadian currency magnetic?

Also, as with many other portable electronic devices, the Storm probably uses a hall sensor to detect a sleeper magnet.
    04-15-09 03:57 PM
    I believe the magnet is also for the holster. my friend had one and whenever the phone would go into the holster or swipe past the holster the phone would go into lock mode. cool feature.
    04-15-09 04:05 PM
    Well, CB.Mike-D's profile says he's in Toronto, so the question is really: is canadian currency magnetic?
    Yep. Every single coin can be picked up with a magnet. And yes, I actually pulled all the change out of my pocket to test if the Storm would pick them up as well.
    04-15-09 04:15 PM
    Yes, the speaker has a magnet.

Yes, it has a hall-effect sensor to detect the magnet in the case which will put it to sleep.
    04-15-09 04:47 PM

Maybe Canadian coins are?? I must try next time I go there
    04-15-09 05:18 PM
    if you take off the battery cover there is a black shiny square which is where that magnetism is coming from, i dont see how that tiny speaker is creating that much magnetic force..

I could be wrong.......but thats like a once a year event
    04-15-09 06:48 PM
    Yes, the speaker has a magnet.
    well yeah... if it didnt it wouldnt be a speaker lol
    04-15-09 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD