Hello. I've been searching for a solution on the forums that would fit my issue, but no luck. Hoping someone could help. Here is what's going on...

• I have a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard (just got it) I used to have a PC.
    • I have a 9530 Storm with Verizon. I've had the $30/month tethering feature for a few months now.
    • I recently downloaded OS 5.0 on my Storm. This of course does not work with the VZ Access manager. I'm not sure if there's a fix. In the meantime, I've been using DUN.
    • On my PC I could still connect to the VZ Access Manager using DUN, however, the VZAM doesn't support 10.6 (Snow Leopard on Macs). I connect through Mac's internet manager instead.
    • I connect to the internet using my Storm via Bluetooth or the USB cable.

The speeds are extremely slow using DUN over Bluetooth (e.g. .21 download, .13 upload). The speed isn't that much better when I'm connected via USB. Streaming music or videos is nearly impossible. It took me an hour to watch a 5 minute music video!

a) Is there any way to increase the speed of the VZAM?
    b) Am I even taking advantage of the tethering feature since I'm not going through VZAM? I'm not sure if you can even use the Storm as a modem unless you add the feature, but if I am outside of feature, I don't want to be paying for it...
    c-unrelated) Does anyone know how to get pictures from my Storm to my Mac? The software I downloaded from blackberry.com only lets me transfer music.

Thanks!
    12-03-09 09:53 PM
    Wow... no replies

Oh well, if anyone wanted to know about question c... I played around with some things and learned that the Storm creates a hard drive image on your desktop when it's connected to the Macbook Pro. You can search BLACKBERRY1 and it will allow you to copy and paste your pictures anywhere on your Mac. Pretty cool. If anyone knows another way, please let me know!

Thanks.
    12-05-09 04:55 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/how...solved-260401/

or the Mac forum in general

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/

might have your answer

for c make sure your phone is in mass storage mode
    Last edited by cdowner; 12-05-09 at 10:31 PM.
    12-05-09 07:15 PM
    I've got great speeds tethering to my MBP with SL using my S2 on VZAM. Could be a configuration issue, poor coverage area... Oops, just saw the above post; yes, try that. Good luck
    12-05-09 07:17 PM
    Im having the same problems tethering with my netbook (PC), I called verizon, and they claim the access manager wasnt prepared for the new OS, and until they update the VZW access manager, it wont work, they did say you can try a manual connection, configuring your machine to dial up, which will be slower, and the tech was unable to walk me through it to where it works, Im screwed too, for now. If anybody knows a better way, the access manager wont recognize the new OS, and the only other thing I could think of was downgrading it, but then there will be other phone conflicts. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    12-05-09 08:55 PM
    I've been through quite the epic saga with tethering Blackberries to my MBP.

The short version:

Once upon a time, I was able to USB tether my VZW 8330 to my MBP using VZAccess, and life was good. I typically achieved download speeds of >800 kbps, sometimes as much as 1.5 mbps. I used a method that involved installing Pocketmac and its drivers, and configured VZAccess to interface with a USB 3G modem.

Then I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and, at about the same time, BB Desktop Manager for the Mac, and I could no longer tether via USB and VZAccess. I'm not sure what happened but I suspect that Snow Leopard killed compatibility with the Pocketmac drivers. USB access started working again after I installed BBDM but it was slow (<80 kbps) and unreliably. I resorted to Bluetooth DUN, which worked reliably but had speeds limited to 300 kbps with the Curve.

Then, I upgraded from the Curve to the S2, and now I get very fast download speeds using Bluetooth DUN - every bit as fast, if not faster, than the Curve when it was working at its best with USB.

I'm assuming that the S2 uses some sort of enhanced data rate feature of Bluetooth that the Curve did not have, but regardless, I'm very happy with the setup now. No cables, and up to 1.5 mbps or better again. I used the Bluetooth DUN instructions in the basic "How to tether your Mac" thread.

Good luck,

Jack
    12-06-09 02:49 PM
    I've been through quite the epic saga with tethering Blackberries to my MBP.

The short version:

Once upon a time, I was able to USB tether my VZW 8330 to my MBP using VZAccess, and life was good. I typically achieved download speeds of >800 kbps, sometimes as much as 1.5 mbps. I used a method that involved installing Pocketmac and its drivers, and configured VZAccess to interface with a USB 3G modem.

Then I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and, at about the same time, BB Desktop Manager for the Mac, and I could no longer tether via USB and VZAccess. I'm not sure what happened but I suspect that Snow Leopard killed compatibility with the Pocketmac drivers. USB access started working again after I installed BBDM but it was slow (<80 kbps) and unreliably. I resorted to Bluetooth DUN, which worked reliably but had speeds limited to 300 kbps with the Curve.

Then, I upgraded from the Curve to the S2, and now I get very fast download speeds using Bluetooth DUN - every bit as fast, if not faster, than the Curve when it was working at its best with USB.

I'm assuming that the S2 uses some sort of enhanced data rate feature of Bluetooth that the Curve did not have, but regardless, I'm very happy with the setup now. No cables, and up to 1.5 mbps or better again. I used the Bluetooth DUN instructions in the basic "How to tether your Mac" thread.

Good luck,

Jack

Thanks, Jack. Did you download any scripts? I wouldn't think the Storm 1 and the Storm 2 have that many differences (at least when it comes to tethering).
    12-07-09 05:50 PM

or the Mac forum in general

might have your answer

for c make sure your phone is in mass storage mode

Thank you! I think I looked there before but thought it was mainly for Curves. I'm reading more in-depth now. Hopefully they can help!

So how do I make sure mass storage mode is enabled?
    12-07-09 05:52 PM
    options --> memory --> mass storage support turned to on and auto enable mass storage mode when connected to yes
    12-07-09 09:00 PM
    thanks so much.
    12-07-09 10:35 PM
    Thanks, Jack. Did you download any scripts? I wouldn't think the Storm 1 and the Storm 2 have that many differences (at least when it comes to tethering).
    I did not use any special scripts - I think it defaulted to "Generic" and I used the [email protected], password vzw and #777 phone number.

This was the same setup I used for the Curve, I would agree that it should be the same for S2 and S1.

Jack
    12-07-09 10:36 PM
    I've got great speeds tethering to my MBP with SL using my S2 on VZAM. Could be a configuration issue, poor coverage area... Oops, just saw the above post; yes, try that. Good luck
    what version of VZAM do you have?
    12-07-09 10:51 PM
    I did not use any special scripts - I think it defaulted to "Generic" and I used the [email protected], password vzw and #777 phone number.

This was the same setup I used for the Curve, I would agree that it should be the same for S2 and S1.

Jack
    that's so weird.... i've done the same thing and cannot sustain a connenction over the BT DUN. do you still use the PocketMac drivers at all?
    12-08-09 10:51 PM
    that's so weird.... i've done the same thing and cannot sustain a connenction over the BT DUN. do you still use the PocketMac drivers at all?
    I had the PocketMac drivers installed at one time but BBDM warned me they would be disabled or removed when I completed the BBDM installation. I *think* they may have stopped working when I upgraded to Snow Leopard but I'm not sure.

If you Google around a bit there is a post somewhere that will tell you how to uninstalled PocketMac and its drivers completely.

FWIW, with Bluetooth tethering I don't think the drivers matter much. I think they are used for USB communications only.

Are you on Verizon?

When you try to establish a Bluetooth DUN connection, what happens?

Jack
    12-09-09 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD