I've been all over this forum and no one seems to know anything about adjusting te mms quality and size. Every mms ofer is low quality and very small. I use mms regularly and I require it for work. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work I have sent a mms to myself and the quality is still poor at best. I'm hoping to get q answer to help or to at least explain why this is happening. I'm not the only one here concerned. I hope everyone with this issue states there complaints here so we can find a answer together.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 12:22 PM
    I have noticed the same thing but not on all MMS; just some of them. Very annoying.
    08-10-09 01:06 PM
    I know it bothers me very much.
    08-10-09 01:09 PM
    I was worried that it was because I was a unlocked user with t-mo as my carrier but from what I hear its a all around problem... hmmmm plot thickens
    08-10-09 01:24 PM
    same thing, ive noticed the ONLY video I have seen on my phone with good quality so far is the trailer for 'Babylon AD' which came on the phone... everything else from youtube to mms is horrible quality... any one can help?
    08-10-09 01:49 PM
    Well for the Babylon movie was on MP4 format that why it was good. What resolution pics are you taking ?

08-10-09 04:04 PM
    Short answer: there is a size limit on MMS messages.

I'm not 100% if the protocol itself is limited by a maximum message size, as the absolute max that you can send from any particular device seems to vary by carrier and by hardware.

I think VZW and T-Mobile both max out ~300KB per message as the established size limit. (I tried googling for updates on this info, and sources were vague at best...but you can feel free to investigate further).

The reason your pics appear to be really low quality is because...they are. The blackberry automatically scales pics down to fit within the max allowed size for MMS messages (not sure if it varies depending on what network it is on or not). From my experience, pics that are scaled down to a lower resolution look a lot crappier than those that were simply taken a lower resolution to begin with. You probably never noticed this behavior before because chances are your phone's camera wasn't good enough to take pictures of a high enough quality to warrant having to be scaled down in the first place.

MMS will probably need to be overhauled to allow for larger file sizes and more file types eventually, but currently the only thing I can recommend is to use email services to send pics if possible--although setting your camera resolution down a bit will probably allow you to take pics that can be sent at their original size/resolution.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 08-10-09 at 07:05 PM.
    08-10-09 07:03 PM
    Out of curiosity.... why do you require MMS for work?
    08-10-09 07:21 PM
    I tattoo. Its easier for the customer to send a mms rather than a e-mail due to the fact that they normally just use mms to share photos from their phones. My iphone photos are perfect, crystal clear from everyone that sends them so I dont know whats up with this storm...
    08-10-09 10:15 PM
    I tattoo. Its easier for the customer to send a mms rather than a e-mail due to the fact that they normally just use mms to share photos from their phones. My iphone photos are perfect, crystal clear from everyone that sends them so I dont know whats up with this storm...
    I thought iPhone didn't even support MMS...? I'm thinking that the iPhone uses email services to send those pics.
    08-11-09 08:02 AM
    I thought iPhone didn't even support MMS...? I'm thinking that the iPhone uses email services to send those pics.
    The iphone 3Gs definately support MMS and I think the others might too with the 3.0 firmware.

Also I edited the title a bit.
    08-11-09 08:06 AM
    The iphone 3Gs definately support MMS and I think the others might too with the 3.0 firmware.

Also I edited the title a bit.
    With the 3Gs (and possibly with the new firmware) MMS is support by the device...however AT&T still does not support MMS on the iPhone, so users are still technically S.O.L. in that department (at least that's what my friends that own iPhones have told me). Word is that AT&T will be supporting MMS on iPhones by summer's end, but as of right now they do not.
    08-11-09 08:20 AM
    Ah ok, I stand corrected!
    08-11-09 08:21 AM
    Well for the Babylon movie was on MP4 format that why it was good. What resolution pics are you taking ?

2048x1536
    superfine
    08-11-09 08:24 AM
    I have the same problem with MMS's. However, I'm reasonably sure that the total message size limit for Verizon MMS is 500 kb. The thing that disturbs me is that I take pictures with my Storm at the highest resolution and quality, but the file size never goes above 200 kb. So what's the deal? Why is my picture being scaled down? I never had this issue with my Voyager.

08-11-09 08:40 AM
    I just tested mine set to highest res and "superfine" setting. Image size was just over 400KB, but I was able to send via MMS (to my email accnt) without image re-sizing. Strange...because I know I've experienced that before...
    08-11-09 09:18 AM
    Well it doesn't just do it with pics taken with the phone camera. It also does it with pictures that I get from other sources. Pics that I download from the web, or even CaptureIt screenshots or stuff I get out of emails or other MMS messages.

08-11-09 11:08 AM
    I have a unlocked iPhone with mms and the resolution is perfect. I used a modified firmware to allow mms on my iPhone. But I want to make the BB storm starting line up.

08-11-09 11:21 AM
    funny about the Iphone and not being able MMS, Guy here at work has the Iphone and the AT&T dealer told him that AT&T has always been able to do it but there is a file linked to every account that has to be either altered or deleted and they can't just do a mass change they have to do it one account at a time. I have no idea if this is lack of smarts from the dealer or what but still makes me raise a eyebrow.

ANyone else heard of anything like this about the Iphone and MMS
    08-11-09 12:10 PM
    ^ nope, but I think its funny how awesome the iPhone is but never could MMS.. :doh:

But you can get around that by just using your email to txt someone phone.. Or ****, if they have an email send it to their email account!
    08-11-09 02:02 PM
    I really dont understand how no one is able to remedy this issue.

yes my iphone does mms and yes its a high quality picture and if you have questions go to a iphone hack site!

NOW lets stick to the subject at hand. MMS quality for the STORM
    08-12-09 06:39 AM
    I used an 8900 with T-Mo for about 6 months and could send and recieve outstanding quality pictures. Pictures taken at the superfine setting, looked huge, but were <500kb.
    Now I have switched to my unlocked tour onthe same T-mo line and all incoming MMS pictures are shrunk to garbage, even the ones I send to myself.
    I can pop my sim card out, stick in my 8900 and can get awesome quality pics.
    I am stumped too, it has nothing to do with file size. I think it has to do with the MMS service book confilcts. T-Mo Tier 3 Tech (Non-Tmobile phone tech team) said that VZW uses different MMS service books than T-Mo & they can conflict.

I hope I can find a fix ASAP, because this BLOWS!
    08-15-09 12:37 AM
    I send out 3 pics at once daily. If they happened to go over 300kb I noticed they showed up fuzzy looking, since I copy myself first so I can Bcc: my friends. I started using the Blackberry desktop manager and converting the pics with Advanced conversion, set it to be a .jpg and then set the screen size like 800 x600 or smaller and so far the pictures have been showing up perfect. Hope this helps.
    08-16-09 10:16 PM
    I know this is an old thread, but on my curve, with OS 4.5 my mms look fine. But with ANY version of 5.0, they are scaled down to 2.2kb and they look horrid. Someone needs to address this problem NOW
    05-06-10 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD