Hey folks,
    I was wondering... I am looking to get a BB storm from an online ad. Is there any way of finding out if the BB Storm is listed as stolen or Lost BEFORE I buy it w/o any repercussion?
    I would hate to buy it, go and try to get it unlocked to find out it has been on the Stolen/lost list. Lemme know? Thanks in advance!
    04-17-09 09:30 AM
    I would think you'd need the phone's PIN for a start. Can you get that from the seller? Then I'd call the carrier and simply ask how to find out.
    04-17-09 09:32 AM
    you don't need the PIN. Verizon can't check the PIN against their negative file.

you'll need the ESN (hex) - 8 characters w/ letters and/or numbers ... 0-9 a-f
    04-17-09 10:40 AM
    the IMEI number could also be useful I believe...the carrier I believe can check both the ESN and the IMEI.

The other method that has been used if it is a local seller is to meet them at a verizon store, or whatever carrier you're using, and have the staff in the store activate the phone in your name before you give them the money...that way you can be sure the phone works and isn't blacklisted at all before your money is gone.

If it is an online transaction, then consider using a service that will take your money and hold it until you've received the phone and verified that it isn't stolen. I believe Ebay has one of these services associated to them.
    04-17-09 11:01 AM
    ok one more question. If the phone is on Verizon's Lost/Stolen list, can it still be unlocked and used on another service? I have been told by someone that it can, but don't know if I can believe them at this point.
    04-17-09 04:07 PM
    the IMEI number could also be useful I believe...the carrier I believe can check both the ESN and the IMEI.

The other method that has been used if it is a local seller is to meet them at a verizon store, or whatever carrier you're using, and have the staff in the store activate the phone in your name before you give them the money...that way you can be sure the phone works and isn't blacklisted at all before your money is gone.

If it is an online transaction, then consider using a service that will take your money and hold it until you've received the phone and verified that it isn't stolen. I believe Ebay has one of these services associated to them.
    I agree with him/her. Meet at VZW store to be 100% sure. Or, call VZW when you meet the seller give VZW the ESN/IMEI # and get their answer before you pay the seller.

Even if you don't have a VZW account, you should be able to call VZW and find out whether it's a blacklisted phone.
    04-17-09 07:00 PM
    Send me the ESN number in a PM and I can let you know if its on the list!!
    04-18-09 11:07 AM
    Wangster:: I dont have enough posts to reply to your PM, so I had to put it here. Don't buy that phone it IS on the Stolen list!!
    04-18-09 06:53 PM
    Cool. Thanks man. Do you work for VZW? Some kid wanted to sell it for $30 and I was thinking to myself... "hmmm a $30 back-up phone" but nevermind.

Thanks again.
    04-18-09 06:54 PM
    A $30 Storm? Yeah no.
    04-18-09 06:56 PM
    Im an agent for Verizon Wireless

Cool. Thanks man. Do you work for VZW? Some kid wanted to sell it for $30 and I was thinking to myself... "hmmm a $30 back-up phone" but nevermind.

Thanks again.
    04-18-09 06:58 PM
    It was actually a LG enV� 2 in Maroon.
    04-18-09 06:58 PM
    your avatar says you have at&t which takes sim cards and if its stolen it dont matter. Verizon dont use sim cards so you have to have it activated so you need to call them to check first. if you unlock a verizon phone it still wont work on at&t or tmobile
    04-18-09 07:24 PM
    your avatar says you have at&t which takes sim cards and if its stolen it dont matter. Verizon dont use sim cards so you have to have it activated so you need to call them to check first. if you unlock a verizon phone it still wont work on at&t or tmobile
    An unlocked 9530 can and does work on AT&T and T-Mobile
    04-18-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD