Hey everyone.

If I upgrade to a new OS version, Do I lose my BES?

Ive upgraded many of times, but this is the first time I have BES and I was wondering...

Thanks
    03-25-09 09:20 AM
    No you won't as long as you do the upgrade while connected to the corperate network, either directly or through VPN. I have done about a half a dozen upgrades and never once had to reactivate with a password.

1. Make sure the desktop manager is running and shows connected

2. Use the Applicatoin loader on the desktop

3. When it checks for updates I use the task manager to end the rimautoupdate task (this gets around unpluging your LAN which would kill the connection the BES) It will then update using the local file you have downloaded.

4. Keep the desktop manager running during hte whole update

5. Never...I repeat never unplug the phone...wait for the whole update process to complete

6 Even after that still do not uplug the phone, go back to the main desktop manager page and wait...within a minute or two the blackberry will begin the activation process without a password

7 Dont disconnect it...let it run its course

Then you are done once it say activation complete...unplug and enjoy the new OS

These are my steps ...maybe you can leave some out...but it has worked every time for me.
    03-25-09 09:29 AM
    I have never done an upgrade connect thru the network, it has always been locally. So you are saying take my work PC, log into my VPN, install desktop manager (cuz i dont have it on my work PC), and upgrade like I would normally do it, and just wait til everything activates?
    03-25-09 12:22 PM
    Even if you do have to re-establish BES it shouldn't be a problem. I had to do this on Monday cuz the Exchange admin moved my mailbox to a different mailstore. When he did this my BB no longer received messages. The BB admin had to send me a new activation password and I had to go through the setup again, but 5 minutes later everything was back to normal.
    03-25-09 07:57 PM
    I just didnt want to bother the admin everytime i upgrade
    03-26-09 09:53 AM
    Yes it has to be with your work computer...or what ever computer your outlook email is on that is sync'd with the exchange server (same computer that shares the email with the Blackberry)

You also have to be connected to the corp network either VPN or directly (as in at work at your desk)

When you start desktop manager it will say "Server Status:Online" in the bottom left corner...then you are good to go...if it doesn't you will need to enter the password on the device to reactivate it

Yes you can just get the Admin to give you a new password...but do you really want to do this everytime a new release comes out...no...you can only say you don't know what happened so many times before they think your up to something or a complete *****.

Also is the admin around at night when most people are at home trying this...no

If you have VPN you are styling...if not do the upgrade at work
    03-26-09 10:57 AM
    Im stylin ha
    03-27-09 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD