Hey guys

Not sure if you can help. I'm looking to work with a programmer and make games for the BB Storm. I'm not a programmer(willing to learn), but I do the 3d and graphic side of things. Looking to make small game to start. Much like the iphone stuff. (Tap Tap and such)
    I could us help getting in contact with people in this field.

Thanks
    Dan
    [email protected]
    12-18-08 05:47 PM
    Dan,

If you are looking to "break-into" the biz, just like any other aspiring artist applying for work, you should create a portfolio of your work, particularly if some of it was published or used commercially.

While if you went to an interview in person you would want to have a physical portfolio, for this type of situation you could create one on picasaweb, or something like Photobucket.

Basically, just saying, "I'm a 3D artist", isn't going to cut it. That would be like walking into a job interview with no diploma backing up your claim (if you had one) that you had an art degree, if you see what I mean.

I once took on a contract artist like this, and it turned out to be a disaster (or would have been if I had truly been depending on him) because he not only failed to deliver but he lied about his progress until we got to deadline and he had nothing. Luckily, I saw it coming and already had another artist complete the 3D model.

You may be very talented, but if no one can see your work, no one can know it. Look at such a posting as an opportunity to say a little about yourself, like what software you are skilled at using, and you will get a lot further.

Good luck
    12-19-08 09:44 AM
    just look at his site ...dandixon ...
    12-19-08 10:23 AM
    just look at his site ...dandixon ...
    Yea but he's too busy telling the world how they all need degrees, otherwise no one will know nothing and not be worth employing ever! it's all in his evil master plan to get even more out of work arts* majors

(yes I know the diff between art and arts I'm being funny, it's a joke, you know laugh and stuff)
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-19-08 at 10:36 AM.
    12-19-08 10:34 AM
    Hey

I guess I should inform people on my skill set .
    I have 10 plus year as a computer graphic artist in the film industry. What I'm looking to do really, is to play around with making games and apps for smart phones. (G1, Strom) Currently I only do the 3d and 2d side of things. Which is the graphic design side of it. I can do UI or Gui layout in mel. I'm sure I can pick up what I need to learn in transferring that to java or what ever. So I figured I would start there and work with people until I get the skills need to fully produce something myself.

So if your looking for help in that way let me know.
    I'm looking to make huge coin.

And No you don't need a diploma. I know lots of people who program and code who learned on the job or just had the ability to do it and I'm sure they can rival anyone on this forum for that matter. Sorry Patrick.

Patrick
    No I'm already in the film industry. I'm a vfx supervisor so not looking to change my job. More or less I thought it might be a nice break from work .
    If you want to see my work go there .
    dannydixon.net

Deta_foxtrors.
    Sure, I can do graphics for apps. Let me know. The Idea is to do some small things and then move to something larger scale.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by danlutz; 12-19-08 at 01:45 PM.
    12-19-08 12:02 PM
    Hey

I guess I should inform people on my skill set .
    I have 10 plus year as a computer graphic artist in the film industry. What I'm looking to do really, is to play around with making games and apps for smart phones. (G1, Strom) Currently I only do the 3d and 2d side of things. Which is the graphic design side of it. I can do UI or Gui layout in mel. I'm sure I can pick up what I need to learn in transferring that to java or what ever. So I figured I would start there and work with people until I get the skills need to fully produce something myself.

So if your looking for help in that way let me know.

And No you don't need a diploma. I know lots of people who program and code who learned on the job or just had the ability to do it and I'm sure they can rival anyone on this forum for that matter. Sorry Patrick.

Patrick
    No I'm already in the film industry. I'm a vfx supervisor so not looking to change my job. More or less I thought it might be a nice break from work .
    If you want to see my work go there .
    dannydixon.net
    Dan, I never stated anything other than that you were looking to break into the game biz. Nor did I state here that you "needed" a degree, please read what I wrote:

That would be like walking into a job interview with no diploma backing up your claim (if you had one) that you had an art degree, if you see what I mean.
    That is called a "simily" (HS stuff really), and I was merely making the point that you made no effort to show off your work (such as posting a portfolio), or state what CGI applications you use on a day-to-day basis (no resume info).

While the clips you have posted on your site show off a variety of CG work, they do not idicate at all what your individual contribution to them were, or what you skill set is in creating things.

While you may be looking to "make huge coin", so far we know more about your desire and motivation than about your work.

For example, you have clips from "The Matrix", suggesting and implying you worked on that project, yet we are left to guess what exactly. Moreover, you are not listed in the credits for the film at all.

Matix Credits

Glad you are interested in the field and all, and I hope you can take what I said constructively, becasue you may indeed be very talented and an asset to the programmer without an artist.

What is it you do exactly as a technical director? Sounds like a fun job.

What would be more useful would be you posting what skills you have (character creation & rigging, lighting, blah blah blah), along with actual pictures of models you have built, lite, and/or textured, along with an explaination of what part of what we are looking at you actually created. In other words, show your skill set relevent to game development on a mobile platform.

For example, I might post a pic like this:

But what does this tell you? Nothing, unless I tell you something like:

11' Replica Enterprise Studio Model
    Modeler: P.T. Waugh from studio model (at NASM), and original artwork by Matt Jeffries.
    3D Modeling: 3DSMax 8
    Lighting, fx, and post-production: 3DSMax
    Textures: Photoshop CS2

Something else you should consider is the limitations of the devices. These handhelds are somewhat limited in memory and processor power, so you might want to show art which is more in line with what is possible on the device given it's resolution, and processor power.

While we have our own artists, some programmers do indeed sometimes need contract artists who are talented, but show off your talent (not the talent of an entire team of people responsible for some movie's CGI).

Always nice to see another artists CGI work. You ever vist 3DBuzz?

patrick
    Last edited by patrick.waugh; 12-19-08 at 09:28 PM.
    12-19-08 09:26 PM
    There was already another thread I took exception to his, must have a degree mantra, and the final post was "I have a degree and I don't have a job" which I laughed so hard about.

Sure, I can do graphics for apps. Let me know. The Idea is to do some small things and then move to something larger scale.
    I'm in for the small things, I am only doing the BB apps as a hobby and also not looking for a change of career at this point in time.
    12-19-08 11:10 PM
    Patrick
    I don't really want to have a debate about what I have done. I'm not 10 years old. Fair enough if you didn't want to offer any help. The reason why I posted this in the first place was simple to play around with developing things on the side with a few people who are in it for the same reason. Like I said. I don't care about make any money doing this.

There are always people like you on these forums. But If you really want to bring my employment into it. Yes, I have work on the matrix's films and yes I am credited. Unlike some people, I don't feel I need to inform everyone on what I have done and still doing by the way. If you look at my web site, you'll see that I have 2 show reels. One showing just clip of work that I have been part of and one with subtitles explaining what I did on EACH SHOT.

On top of that if you knew anything about film you can go to IMDB which is the database for all TV and Film movies where you can enter names and get a list and title of what people have done.

Please don't explain to me about what it takes to make a film. I'm not the one taking credit for anyone else work, nor have I ever done that.
    I'm sorry if I touched a nerve with you, but If your only reason for posting in this thread is to hear your self or get post # 1093, please just pretend that I never posted anything to start with. I'm looking to do this for fun and possibly working with people without egos.

SO AGAIN if anyone is interested in the real reason this thread was intended for please feel free to contact me.

delta_foxtrot2 Hey got you email. Ya looks good I'm more than happy to help out. Do you have msn?
    I going to help another guy with a theme, but don't think it will take to long to do. So if you want to start to talking about what your looking for.
    12-21-08 07:47 PM
    Patrick
    I wouldn't have given him the satisfaction of what you wrote personally, for all he knows I don't have a degree, I may have even dropped out of high school according to him

There was an article recently of the CEOs in the top 100/500 companies, most/all didn't have degrees, yet the second in commands did...

You look like you do some really brilliant work, don't let the degree factory, mantra speaking ones get yea down

delta_foxtrot2 Hey got you email. Ya looks good I'm more than happy to help out. Do you have msn?
    I going to help another guy with a theme, but don't think it will take to long to do. So if you want to start to talking about what your looking for.
    I emailed it to you just then, sounds great I'm looking forward to it
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-21-08 at 08:55 PM.
    12-21-08 08:51 PM
    delta_foxtrot2
    got it and tried it out. I don't get get gps where I am but very cool. We'll have to start to talk about how to do the graphic side of things. I'll hit you up on msn.
    12-22-08 12:33 AM
    Patrick
    I don't really want to have a debate about what I have done. I'm not 10 years old. Fair enough if you didn't want to offer any help. The reason why I posted this in the first place was simple to play around with developing things on the side with a few people who are in it for the same reason. Like I said. I don't care about make any money doing this.
    Not sure who you are trying to debate, you said,

I'm looking to work with a programmer and make games.
    and I just pointed out that you don't tell any of us programmers what it is you can do. But, rather than tell us, you just got offended. If you want to work with people you might want to tell them what you can do.

Your own posts are a bit confusing, since you said this:

and now what you said above. So, maybe when you read the response you should take into consideration that apparently you misspoke.

Hope that clears up some things for you.

There are always people like you on these forums. But If you really want to bring my employment into it. Yes, I have work on the matrix's films and yes I am credited. Unlike some people, I don't feel I need to inform everyone on what I have done and still doing by the way. If you look at my web site, you'll see that I have 2 show reels. One showing just clip of work that I have been part of and one with subtitles explaining what I did on EACH SHOT.
    See, if you had provided that info in the beginning then it would have been hard to view just one (as a sample) and pick the one without any info. If you really want to make sure people know what you do, just tell them.

On top of that if you knew anything about film you can go to IMDB which is the database for all TV and Film movies where you can enter names and get a list and title of what people have done.
    Yeap, I thought that was the link I posted, but perhaps it wasn't.

Please don't explain to me about what it takes to make a film. I'm not the one taking credit for anyone else work, nor have I ever done that.
    I'm sorry if I touched a nerve with you, but If your only reason for posting in this thread is to hear your self or get post # 1093, please just pretend that I never posted anything to start with. I'm looking to do this for fun and possibly working with people without egos.
    Well, then you might want to tell peple what you do/did, rather than get all upset when people ask you. That would be your ego my friend. After all, it is you that were trying to impress us with your movie credentials. And, you probably have done some great work, but just tell us, rather than go on and on about nothing.

SO AGAIN if anyone is interested in the real reason this thread was intended for please feel free to contact me.
    The offers should just roll in now after you showed how you handle a request for info on your qualifications/skills.
    12-22-08 02:38 AM
    Ok patrick you win I'm a fake and an ***.
    Can you please stop posting in my thread.

And yes I have got some offer to hep out.
    12-22-08 01:07 PM
    Ok patrick you win I'm a fake and an ***.
    Actually you have it back the front, at times he can give good advice if he actually knows the answer the rest of the time he must make it up as he goes along, because he told some guy to get a BES server installed at his company, best guess $10k price tag, just to get around Verizon SMS sending limitations which he could use a cheap or free app to do the same thing.

He told someone else that they'd need to start a company and so on and so forth just to market/sell one "good idea" they had for an app, rather than selling it through shop crackberry.com or any of the other app stores etc.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, while he has given me some good advice in the past regarding the way SUN/RIM decided to do their documentation, which I'm still not 100% familiar with -- mind you this has nothing to do with OOP programming Patrick, just my unfamiliarity with their documentation practices and how to find the most efficient functions, objects or otherwise methods to do what I'm used to doing in other languages, that is getting on with the job and coding, rather than learning a language at the same time.

I wonder how he'd rank if his pieces of advice were actually judged on their merit and given a score as in +1 for good advice, -1 for bad, least not ye judge for ye be judged or whatever the christian phrase is, seems pertinent I suppose.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-22-08 at 08:23 PM.
    12-22-08 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD