Who actually locks thier Storm and uses a password? I would like to since I keep a bunch of user names and passwords for work (Outlook Memo pad so it always syncs), but unlocking with a password is really inconvient. It can't really happen while driving, it takes way too much attention to the keyboard.

I used a password with my old Pearl, but I could hit the keys without looking and do it all by feel (obviously not an option now).

I know there is the Password Keeper app built into the Blackberry, but there is no desktop client to snyc with (or is there?).

What is everyone else doing? I'm looking for some best-practices...anyone?

Thanks in advance!
    04-18-09 12:00 AM
    PatternLock or StormSlider =) ...or both.
    04-18-09 12:09 AM
    I lock my storm with a password and I can unlock without looking.... Sort of. If ur driving just don't lock it or don't holster it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 12:09 AM
    I use Ascend DataVault to store all my user/passwords. It also has many other nice features like random password generation. It also comes with desktop software to sync with. The only downside IMHO is the cost at $29.95

04-18-09 09:03 AM
    What's pattern lock

04-18-09 09:07 AM
    keepass
    free, and syncs with desktop
    04-18-09 09:09 AM
    I use a password and I have it set to lock after one hour. Since I very rarely go that long without touching my phone and I always check it before getting into the car for one reason or another, it doesn't cause a problem.
    04-18-09 09:27 AM
    PatternLock is great!!!
    04-18-09 09:38 AM
    I use a password like i lock my front door...seems a normal precaution 2 take. At first it annoyed me & i worried i wouldn't be able 2 get into my phone...but no, not anymore!

Don't have a car.

U can temporarily disable password & then lock.
    04-18-09 09:45 AM
    Like some said earlier, set the phone to lock after an hour, youll almost never have to unlock it. But you MUST have it password protected. If someone takes your phone you really dont want to give them access to your email, calendar, contacts, pictures, tasks,......ect.
    04-18-09 09:48 AM
    I lock and password protect religiously and have also considered setting my password to something simpler to type in one-handed in non-landscape mode.

04-18-09 11:25 AM
    I used to lock mine with a password but then I realized that its never outta my sight so now I just lock it with the top button so its quicker to unlock
    04-18-09 11:29 AM
    I used to lock mine with a password but then I realized that its never outta my sight so now I just lock it with the top button so its quicker to unlock
    That's what they all say.... before they lose it . I think putting a short password is better than no password. Just my 2 cents

04-18-09 11:33 AM
    I prefer to have no password.
    04-18-09 11:49 AM
    I use Ascend DataVault to store all my user/passwords. It also has many other nice features like random password generation. It also comes with desktop software to sync with.
    Second on Ascendo DayVault. Great product. I hate having a password to unlock my phone, but I feel secure with DataVault and it's nice to have it on my Desktop as well.
    04-18-09 12:19 PM
    I prefer to have no password.
    Very risky.

Just do a search for the horror stories and id theft of people that have lost their unlocked BB's or smartphones.

Just imagine what someone could do with so much of your personal info, contacts, email, texts, call logs, private calendar and tasks, facebook, myspace, ebay, not to mention any embarassing media that may or may not be on your phone!

Use a password, and set it to format after 8 wrong attempts. If not, you may someday figure this out the hard way.
    04-18-09 12:26 PM
    I would also recommend locking with a password, for me I just have too much personal & business information that would be too risky to loose.

04-18-09 12:30 PM
    I don't use a password on my storm, but I also don't keep sensitive data on it. First thing I'd suggest is to get smrtguard, that will allow you to track and remotely wipe the phone if its lost or stolen.

Next thing is to get one of the password keeper programs mentioned on here that won't lock your phone. Will keep your passwords safe and sync with your desktop.

Next thing is to set your phone to lock after a certain amount of time untouched...or automatically in the holster...with a password like 8888. Its easy to hit while driving, but is just enough to keep the average punk from getting into your phone.

Set the allow calls while locked to on, that way you can make bluetooth calls while driving without unlocking.

This allows you three levels of security, none too difficult for you to use, but each one meaning you have less chance of being compromised.

If someone with true corporate espionage desires takes your phone, they will eventually crack the security, which is why you have smrtguard to wipe the phone remotely, as well as track it etc.

The average punk won't get thru your basic lock, and your slightly smarter than average punk won't get your passwords with one of the password programs.
    04-18-09 12:31 PM
    First thing I'd suggest is to get smrtguard, that will allow you to track and remotely wipe the phone if its lost or stolen.
    It's not available to the public yet is it? The public beta has been discontinued. Sure wish they would release it!
    04-18-09 01:11 PM
    My password is just random letters cause its just a pattern I memorized on my phone and I can unlock while driving but I often don't use my phone in my car people can wait the 5 mins it takes me to get home and I also drive stick

04-18-09 01:21 PM
    I do not have a password on mine either.. BTW it is quite funny watching somebody who has never used a blackberry try to unlock the phone by touching the lock that displays on the phone then try to play it off and end up having to ask how to unlock it. haha
    04-18-09 03:14 PM
    Locked and password protected, I am really into no one getting into my information but me.
    04-18-09 08:35 PM
    I use a password and I have it set to lock after one hour. Since I very rarely go that long without touching my phone and I always check it before getting into the car for one reason or another, it doesn't cause a problem.
    I do the same. One hour is the max, although I wish there were more choices, such as 2 hours, 4, etc.

I always say, if you go more than an hour without using your Crackberry and you have to unlock your device, you're not addicted! lol.

Patternlock is also great. I use them together.
    04-18-09 08:48 PM
    I don't use a password, but someone would have to be stealing my info while reading it out of my hand because my phone hasn't left my hand since I got it! haha
    04-18-09 09:39 PM
    I have mine set to auto lock after 20 mins. password protected too. I dont have much personal info, but I still dont want anyone in my phone.
    04-18-09 09:42 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD