OK, newb here to start with.

I do feel very fortunate to have purchased a Storm yesterday but the lack of available software is killin me. I use medical software almost daily and in checking with 2 major providers yesterday they both dont seem to have updates ready and are not sure when they will (epocrates and skyscape). Additionally themes and ringtones from some sites seem to be an issue. Anyone else with similar probs?

I must say though that as a new berry owner I am very pleased with the messenging,email, and the web access/speed is much better than the treo 700 i had. The typing is taking a little getting used to but is rapidly growing on me...playing with the settings seems to help.

Still tons to learn here but I appreciate all of u that are patient and those that provide so much helpful instruction to the newbs like me.

Also, when do u guys think accessories will be more readilly available..i.e; cases specifically for the storm etc?
    Last edited by serenityseeker; 11-22-08 at 07:30 AM. Reason: addition
    11-22-08 07:28 AM
    I am currently in P.A. school in Indiana and I have seen a similar issue. We are required to use epocrates for school in the last two years. I went with blackberry because I can see it is far superior to the other smart phones out there. I know you can get epocrates pro for blackberry, but I am required to get epocrates delux, which is the full software.

I emailed Crackberry and told him our predicament and within 2 hours I got a reply from Kevin saying that crackberry was on it and they would have some devs talk to epocrates and see what they can do. I havent heard back from them on this so I would encourage you and any other medical professionals to email crackberry and let them know we need this software ported to blackberry.

Hopefully epocrates will realize how many medical professionals use blackberries and how much money they can make on the blackberry platform.

Hopefully we see this soon.
    Ben
    11-22-08 07:37 AM
    Tnx for the feedback.

How do I contact Kevin?

Also, I did the live chat thing with epocrates and skyscape and neither one seemed to know when they might have things ready. How did they get caught so far behind?

Am also still wondering about other available software and hardware accessories...just looking for opinions on expected timeframes.
    11-22-08 07:45 AM
    This may be a silly question. I have ordered my storm and was told last week I will get it next tuesday (who knows?). I have never used a BB, but was very excited this one. I have always used palm PDA's and am just now upgrading to a smart phone (my wife has finally approved the purchase!! )

I am a physician and have used Skyscape and epocrates products for many years. With the new storm is it simply that there is no full screen access for these apps or is it that they don't work at all? When palm first came out with a "full" screen there was a similar problem, but the apps were still usable. It took quite a while to get full screen mode, but I imagine this won't be so bad as most devices have a larger screen now.

Thanks for the reply.
    11-22-08 08:03 AM
    the storm has compatiablity mode, much like vista can run programs as if it was xp. i havent tested it, i will check a program from my 8320 and see if it will work on the storm
    11-22-08 08:08 AM
    I actually went to epocrates and paid for the blackberry program...AFTER they took my payment a warning came up saying it was not compatible with the storm. they refunded my payment and offered to send an email when it was available.
    I asked skyscape (5 min clinical consult) before purchasing, and although there was nothing on the site addressing it the rep stated they hoped it would be updated in a few days, but she didnt impress me with her knowledge on it.
    11-22-08 08:12 AM
    I actually went to epocrates and paid for the blackberry program...AFTER they took my payment a warning came up saying it was not compatible with the storm. they refunded my payment and offered to send an email when it was available.
    I asked skyscape (5 min clinical consult) before purchasing, and although there was nothing on the site addressing it the rep stated they hoped it would be updated in a few days, but she didnt impress me with her knowledge on it.
    Same problem. One reason I got the Storm was the BB option for Epocrates. It would have been VERY HELPFUL if the SOBs would have made that CLEAR BEFORE I too ordered. I need to get refund tomorrow.

Lack of Epocrates & may be a deal killer. I use it daily. The HTC Touch Pro & Samsung Omnia (both WinMo 6.1) phones are coming to Verizon in the next 1-2 weeks. I may be switching.
    11-23-08 04:19 PM
    Same problem. One reason I got the Storm was the BB option for Epocrates. It would have been VERY HELPFUL if the SOBs would have made that CLEAR BEFORE I too ordered. I need to get refund tomorrow.

Lack of Epocrates & may be a deal killer. I use it daily. The HTC Touch Pro & Samsung Omnia (both WinMo 6.1) phones are coming to Verizon in the next 1-2 weeks. I may be switching.
    unfortunately I may be with u. I to use it daily. Just trying to decide how patient I can be until they update. Will likely give it a cpl of weeks or so.
    11-23-08 04:22 PM
    i have skyscape up and running my programs on my storm. i just went ahead and did it like usual, download the bb reader and then install and enter your serial numbers. no issues at all.
    11-23-08 04:25 PM
    i have skyscape up and running my programs on my storm. i just went ahead and did it like usual, download the bb reader and then install and enter your serial numbers. no issues at all.

SWEET! tnx.
    does it give u an option to dwnload to the card or does it automaticly?
    11-23-08 04:28 PM
    SWEET! tnx.
    does it give u an option to dwnload to the card or does it automaticly?
    it didn't give me that option. im sure you can but i'm not sure how exactly. it hasn't slowed down my storm at all.
    11-23-08 04:33 PM
    I too use Medical software (Epocrates) and as far as I can tell BB's dont support the program. you can download it but only the RX part will work not the entire program, if they dont come up with something I will go back to a Palm OS phone or Windows one.
    11-23-08 04:36 PM
    I too use Medical software (Epocrates) and as far as I can tell BB's dont support the program. you can download it but only the RX part will work not the entire program, if they dont come up with something I will go back to a Palm OS phone or Windows one.
    Not sure i understand. U mean u cant buy and use the upgraded versions on any BB? I think I must have misunderstood, cause they do sell pro etc.
    can u clarify for me?
    11-23-08 04:40 PM
    Epocrates is a Medical Software that has meany features like RX ,Labs ans so forth. When it is downloaded the only part that will download is the RX part of the software not the whole thing.
    11-23-08 04:44 PM
    Yeah, I am very familiar with it, practicing internist/hospitalist here.
    I am puzzled though. On the epocrates site they offer the upgraded or pay level(pro i think) for BB, cant understand how they can charge for it if it doesnt work.
    11-23-08 04:47 PM
    Me either I am using the Pearl maybe the newer BB's might work , but not mine...
    11-23-08 04:50 PM
    Got a reply back from Epocrates CS. They refunded my BB version purchase. Also, stated they will send message to web site folks to change web page to avoid confusion for Storm users who try to order.

They said a compatible Storm version is....UNDER CONSIDERATION. ???

Have they not even started with development??? What a deal buster.

My Storm will get turned in next 2 weesk for a HTC Touch Pro or Samsung Omnia on WinMo platform.

They tried to suggest the online version at m.epocrates.com. However, it too is NOT compatible. Cannot complete search box.
    11-24-08 02:41 PM
    I hate to hear that. I downloaded skyscape constellation. Has a decent program and 5 min clin consult , but it runs just a little glitchy on the storm...like it needs to be calibrated or something.

I am almost amazed that a phone that had had so much publicity has such a dearth of programing available. Medical and general.

If I were king for a day things would be soooo different.
    11-24-08 02:52 PM
    Got refunded.
    Last update was:

Question: Does Epocrates support the BlackBerry Storm?

Answer:

Epocrates Rx is not currently available on the Blackberry Storm. We are actively working on a compatible version and expect it to be available by early 2009.
    This is deal killer. I will be trading in for a Samsung Omnia on 12/8 in the AM!!
    11-26-08 02:41 PM
    Got Skyscape Drugs & Calculator. Usable but needs calibration to touch scrren. Also, only runs in portrait mode.

Avoid Lexi-drugs. Runs terrible & expensive.
    12-02-08 01:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD