Does anyone here use any distros of linux instead of windows or mac? Had any luck running
    the vz access manager on their machines? Wine? Maybe there's some native port somewhere
    I haven't found?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 03:01 PM
    I run Fedora but I don't even bother with the blackberry related stuff on linux...I just boot windows (unfortunately) or my osx install and use desktop manager on there, along with any other tools I need for my BB.

I really doubt VZ will ever release anything on a platform other than windows (if they have already, then I have no idea about it), so try wine, or a vm.
    10-03-09 03:06 PM
    Sucks... Blackberries even seem to use a linux filesystem... Too bad windows is lord...

10-03-09 04:38 PM
    I was able to connect my Storm to an Asus Surf Netbook running Xandros through a USB port. Turned on Mass Storage Connection and turned off MTP protocol. I was able to see all the Storm's directories with File Manager. I assume I can add or delete files on the Storm with File Manager. Haven't tried it yet. Good for moving music and video files onto the Storm from my netbook.

I haven't tried Wine with VZ Access tho.
    10-05-09 06:13 PM
    I used a program called bbteather to get on the internet with my blackberry on linux, its hard to use though because theres no readme. But once you got it type ./bbteather.sh verizon
    10-05-09 06:20 PM
    I use linux with my storm. I have gotten tethering to work with a package called barry that let's you sync with any pim program. I just wish BB desktop software worked with linux so I could load OSs and stuff. I use PCLinux by the way.

10-05-09 07:13 PM
    Does anyone here use any distros of linux instead of windows or mac? Had any luck running
    the vz access manager on their machines? Wine? Maybe there's some native port somewhere
    I haven't found?

I use Fedora 11 and I am using barry. With Fedora, there is a full compliment of packages to install barry that will sync and backup your BlackBerry
    10-09-09 05:48 PM
    I use linux with my storm. I have gotten tethering to work with a package called barry that let's you sync with any pim program. I just wish BB desktop software worked with linux so I could load OSs and stuff. I use PCLinux by the way.

By the way, how do you tether BlackBerry with Barry? If you could post the instructions on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it.
    10-09-09 05:50 PM
    Ubuntu here. Super noob. Maybe not SUPER noob, but I can't find any debs for barry and I haven't devoted the time or motivation to build one from bins. Is there one somewhere?

I'm not concerned about mass media. Already does that. A nice clean tether is all I really want. Ill check out bbtether. Or use my head and try barry...

Anyone familiar with Ubuntu MID or messed around with putting it on a bb or know if its even possible?

Oh yeah! And loading OSs. That's what I really want... But I guess that requires the Verizon microshaft only software...
    Last edited by dizzforizz; 10-09-09 at 10:51 PM.
    10-09-09 10:46 PM
    As large a distro as Ubuntu is, it ought to have Barry in its repostitories.

You will need all Barry packages, Barry, barry-tools, barry-ppp, etc.
    To tether with Barry, disable mass storage mode on your blackberry.
    Then open a terminal, and type "btools -l" (without the quotes) to see if your BB is listed. If so, then you need to determine your carrier (t-mobile, verizon, etc --- I have only tried this with verizon). In the terminal type "barry-verizon" and woola, you are tethered. This of course, depends on you subscribing to the tethering package with Verizon, as it runs through their proxy server.
    10-09-09 11:19 PM
    word linux mint here. i have tried bbtether very successfully as I havent the patience for.bin's or barry, bbtether runs from bash and very east to use with storm. i recently installed sun virtualbox with a windows XP guest hoping that DM or VZaccess could be installed from ROM. and then see if it has wnough nut to install a newOS on my bb, i am afraid it will hang and brick my phone though. i wil try it later and report my findings

10-10-09 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD