Ok.

So if you really really insist that you can bring up the keyboard from the home screen... Just do this :

Set one of the convenience keys to Virtual Keyboard... And hey presto, you can bring the keyboard up and hide it with a button press...

Cheers

Lee

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 06:54 AM
    Thank you for bringing this up... I thought it was just me. I see alot of people say to just swipe up from the bottom to bring up the keyboard on the home screen, however i can't get that to work at all! The only way i can see the keyboard is to hit menu and hit show keyboard. Am i doing something wrong?
    11-27-08 08:45 AM
    why do you need it on the homescreen?
    11-27-08 03:26 PM
    I dunno... Ask civic... lol

11-27-08 07:23 PM
    I dunno... Ask civic... lol

I thought Civic wanted the dial keys to show up, not the keyboard, unless that is what you are talking about.

Last edited by avt123; 11-27-08 at 07:40 PM.
    11-27-08 07:31 PM
    you need a keyboard on the home screen for short cuts and programming . and all you have to do is from the home screen select show keybored , then you can swipe it up and down from the home menu
    11-27-08 07:40 PM
    I think he was wanting a way to start typing a contact name from the home screen and have it pull it up to dial them (or at least I would like to be able to do this - That's one of the things I miss about my Windows Mobile phones... and my other BB for that matter)
    11-27-08 07:44 PM
    I think he was wanting a way to start typing a contact name from the home screen and have it pull it up to dial them (or at least I would like to be able to do this - That's one of the things I miss about my Windows Mobile phones... and my other BB for that matter)
    Oh ok, that makes sense too.

11-27-08 07:46 PM
    How come nobody shows up to the threads with their own names on them? haha

11-27-08 07:52 PM
    Does anyone know any keyboard shortcuts? I gdving a hard time finding why this is beneficial, but that's probably because I don't know the keyboard shortcuts.

11-27-08 07:57 PM
    How come nobody shows up to the threads with their own names on them? haha

ya know, that's a d@mn good question
    11-27-08 08:00 PM
    How do you quickly lookup a 'name' in contacts and dial the # ?

Seems VERY slow w/too many buttons to muddle through.
    11-27-08 08:14 PM
    Exactly. That was of the features I LOVED about my previous Blackberry. I could just start typing a name and it would bring up all of the possible matched from my contact list immediately. I tried making the side key mapped to the virtual keyboard but as soon as I type anything it just brings up the dialer and messes everything up.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Storm. Hated it for the first hour but now that I've played with it for a few days I LOVE it. But, this is a feature I really am missing. I find that trying o get to a contact quickly is a pain.
    11-27-08 08:27 PM
    My interim solution to this is to map the "talk" key to open up the contact list and also map the side key to open the virtual keyboard. Then, I hit the talk key and the side key and can immediately search for a contact.
    11-27-08 08:29 PM
    My interim solution to this is to map the "talk" key to open up the contact list and also map the side key to open the virtual keyboard. Then, I hit the talk key and the side key and can immediately search for a contact.
    good workaround... thanks
    11-27-08 09:19 PM
    Seems like some unnecessary steps - 2 button presses and a swipe with out any remapping
    Phone button > Contacts at top of screen > Swipe for keyboard. If you set the default to contacts then it's just a swipe and your typing.

11-27-08 09:41 PM
    If you set the default to contacts then it's just a swipe and your typing.
    Thanks for the tip! Like you said, with contacts set as the default with the green phone button is pressed, just one swipe brings up the keyboard. nice
    11-27-08 09:54 PM
    Probably because I don't live on here.

Anyway, yes, the keyboard on home screen would be nice IF IT COULD ACTUALLY "DIAL FROM HOME", but it can't on the Storm. Doesn't really matter anyway, that isht went back yo. :yes!:
    Civic... you gave up on your Storm?
    11-27-08 10:55 PM
    Civic... you gave up on your Storm?
    Yes, it went back earlier this week. I was totally disgusted with the build quality and the closer I looked at it, the more I was dissapointed.

1) Cheap speaker grille sticky taped to the back.
    2) Wobbly battery door release buttons.
    3) Wobbly screen + gap issues (many listed on the forum here ex. dust, etc.)
    4) Screen click when holding phone with shoulder to ear in a pinch.
    5) Lack of memory (Flash of 128MB is absolute BS for a phone like this!)

^^^ Notice how I'm not complaining about software issues here. I'm all for being able to fix that via software, but the physical issues I couldn't deal with. Fix all of that and I'll gladly buy another in a heartbeat.
    11-28-08 05:17 PM
    If you just hold the green call button down for like 2 seconds it brings up the contact list
    11-28-08 05:36 PM
    I know...I don't know what's so difficult about hitting the green button to bring up the dial pad or holding the green button to bring up the contact list....geesh...
    11-28-08 05:45 PM
    Hey, to each his own, but I'd rather swipe up a keyboard and have Dial From Home available. Say what you will, but it would just be more useful that way. After all, that's the reason it's available on other BBs. If you've never used it, you really can't talk because it's fast as heck to call someone with DFH enabled.
    11-28-08 05:48 PM
    Hey, to each his own, but I'd rather swipe up a keyboard and have Dial From Home available. Say what you will, but it would just be more useful that way. After all, that's the reason it's available on other BBs. If you've never used it, you really can't talk because it's fast as heck to call someone with DFH enabled.
    I've actually had it enabled on my curve and currently have it disabled. I found I was always calling people without realizing it. My poor friend Kristin got more false calls and voicemails from me then she knew what to do with. I know there's keyboard lock, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the DFH feature. People who I had in there because I called them once were even getting called and freaked out.

And if you're swiping up to have Dial From Home, then it's not really dial from home, is it? That simple motion kind of defeats the purpose of DFH.
    11-28-08 05:59 PM
    And if you're swiping up to have Dial From Home, then it's not really dial from home, is it? That simple motion kind of defeats the purpose of DFH.
    Ya gota activate the keyboard somehow. Side key, swipe, whatever. It doesn't have a physical keyboard, so I'd live with a swipe if I could have had DFH. Also, I don't really agree that DFH is useless if you lock your keyboard. It's still a lot shorter then bringing up the address book and digging for a contact. Fortunately for me, I have a photographic memory so if I know I've spoken to someone recently, I normally hit Send once, highlight the entry and hit Send again... this worked well on the Storm, but I do depend upon DFH a lot.
    11-28-08 06:30 PM
    Ya gota activate the keyboard somehow. Side key, swipe, whatever. It doesn't have a physical keyboard, so I'd live with a swipe if I could have had DFH. Also, I don't really agree that DFH is useless if you lock your keyboard. It's still a lot shorter then bringing up the address book and digging for a contact. Fortunately for me, I have a photographic memory so if I know I've spoken to someone recently, I normally hit Send once, highlight the entry and hit Send again... this worked well on the Storm, but I do depend upon DFH a lot.

LOL....that's just called a good memory...not a photographic one...

And it's not really shorter. *,SEND, start typing for DFH. OR Click address book, start typing to find contact. Luckily my address book is one of my home screen icons.
    11-28-08 06:37 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD