So i go to reboot the Storm and i get an error message. "JVM Error 528", white screen and it WILL NOT do anything.

looks like i now have a dead storm which was bought 2/13/09

any ideas?
    03-15-09 06:14 PM
    03-15-09 06:19 PM
    youre BB is bricked

wipe and restore..
    03-15-09 06:33 PM
    how do i wipe and restore? this thing wont even get past the white screen.
    03-15-09 06:56 PM
    well, the verizon rep told me that he could send me a replacement phone, overnight. i asked if it would be *new* and he said he didnt know.

he also said "Wow, its a shame that youre ONE DAY past our 30 day money back guarantee"

i politely informed him that i would be visiting a Verizon store in the morning to seek (a) NEW storm or (b) a curve.

there seems to be too many problems and i dont want to deal with this crap
    03-15-09 07:33 PM
    well, the verizon rep told me that he could send me a replacement phone, overnight. i asked if it would be *new* and he said he didnt know.

he also said "Wow, its a shame that youre ONE DAY past our 30 day money back guarantee"

i politely informed him that i would be visiting a Verizon store in the morning to seek (a) NEW storm or (b) a curve.

there seems to be too many problems and i dont want to deal with this crap
    That is a tough break. Do you have any idea what the cause could be?
    03-15-09 07:39 PM
    no clue. everything was working fine and the only apps i had on the phone were quickpull, cnn, youtube and google maps.

i encountered the white screen and that was it.

if they dont offer a NEW storm, its going to get ugly
    03-15-09 07:41 PM
    no clue. everything was working fine and the only apps i had on the phone were quickpull, cnn, youtube and google maps.

i encountered the white screen and that was it.

if they dont offer a NEW storm, its going to get ugly
    So I had the *exact* same issue. I had just installed quickpull, so I think that did it. I don't have that many apps, googlemaps, facebook, myspace. It bricked my phone within 24 hours. I was able to get it to work after uninstalling DM and the BB OS on my PC. Then I ran JLCmder and Crackmem, then reinstalled no prob.

I also had a *ton* of dust under my screen and I wasn't sure the OS reinstall would work so in the meantime I did call my local Vzw store and the guy said basically, "yeah no problem, come by and I'll give you a new phone. Just call tech support first, explain you can't go the weekend without a new phone, and have them put in the notes to give you a handset in store." I thought that was odd, but called tech support only to have them give me crap for over an hour until the tech guy called the guy at the store. I guess the guy at the store was way out of line to give me that advise, but at the end of the day I had a brand new Storm in box. (There was a lot of complaining in store but since their employee promised it, I basically made them follow through)

P.S. I think DM doesn't like installing a new OS more than once. I have had this prob every time. So I save the DM and OS install files on the PC so I can just uninstall them, reboot, and reinstall without downloading the DM and OS again.

I hope you get it worked out!
    Last edited by iamjewels19; 03-15-09 at 07:59 PM.
    03-15-09 07:54 PM
    How about you wipe it using your computer as the guide above says, and reinstall the OS (like the guide says, once again).

Its not complicated, and only takes about 30mins - an hour after you download the few things you need.

Itll save you the headache of dealing with Verizon, but its your call I guess.
    03-15-09 07:56 PM
    x3 - this will help you!

Ok - so you've had an Englishman, Scot and possibly an American tell you the same thing here - it must be right! Either that or we've nearly got enough for a bad joke!

Error 528 means: The file system is corrupted. Data on the handheld is unrecoverable.

Last edited by bbsean; 03-15-09 at 08:11 PM.
    03-15-09 07:59 PM
    thanks for the recommendations guys- but this phone is a month old. not only am i not 100% confident in doing the restore myself, i feel as though im entitled to a *new* replacement phone.

i would understand if the phone was out of warranty, old, or it was due to something I did- but i would much rather simply obtain a replacement and start all over again.

i have everything boxed up and about to go to the store. they dont open til 9am
    03-16-09 07:45 AM
    UPDATE- i went to a local VZW store. the CSR gave my phone to a tech who, within 2-3 minutes said that i needed a replacement.

the moment of truth: will they provide me a *new* storm or try to give me a refurb. keep in mind, i was 31 days into the phone.... the rep grabbed a new storm box from their stock, loaded my email accounts and also gave me all new accessories (headphones/charger/cd's/manuals)

so, im back in the game. HOWEVER, i DID have to manually enter 280+ contacts... over 300 entries with email addresses.

as soon as that was done, i backed the phone up.
    03-17-09 11:35 AM
    Good Deal!

I'm glad they gave you a new one!

Backing up the contacts is always a good plan!
    03-17-09 12:37 PM
    Hello everybody,
    after using the search function for error code jvm 528 I found this thread and thought that it is worth it to reactivate it

Three weeks ago I had the JVM 528 error on my 8900 Curve. I found the above mentionend explaination to reload the operating system via the app loader. But unfortunately this didn't work in my case although I tried it MANY times. I never saw "BB-PIN: UNKNOWN" in the moment when I connected my device to the PC, instead it always showed the PIN immediately.
    Then I tried to use BBSAK to use the wipe function but it doesn't detect any device at all.
    Desktop Manager is able to detect the device with the correct PIN.

Does anyone know any solution for this? I would be thankful for any suggestions!
    08-19-11 01:50 PM
    Alright. So I guess there is no other chance then buying a new device due to the missing replies
    08-22-11 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD