Just got home with the storm 9530! Have a few questions for the already experts on here...

First thing I noticed when I opened the box is that this BB device didn't come with a cover or anything.... Is there a reason? what's a good one to purchase for this?

Second thing, the guy at verizon told me that the Storm has a leaked OS version ending in '99' that I need to d-load, anyone have the link?

Third thing, where is the option to have the screen actually make a clicking noise, or is that just something they advertised but it's realistic?

Lastly, if anyone can offer some 'first thing you need to do's' or tips, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance
    02-08-09 05:09 PM
    case wise I would suggest a silicone sleeve or a seidio innocase (1 or 2)

.99 still has some bugs, but i think its better than .75 (you can search for the link in the os sub forum)

the screen always clicks (similar to your mouse)

get some apps at crackberry's app store
    02-08-09 05:16 PM
    Just got home with the storm 9530! Have a few questions for the already experts on here...

First thing I noticed when I opened the box is that this BB device didn't come with a cover or anything.... Is there a reason? what's a good one to purchase for this?
    Verizon opted to give you the 8GB memory card instead, a better deal IMHO as there are many cases that work for this phone.

Second thing, the guy at verizon told me that the Storm has a leaked OS version ending in '99' that I need to d-load, anyone have the link?
    Wow the VZW guy told you that, eh? They aren't supposed to do that since it is not an official release and has bugs/broken features.

Third thing, where is the option to have the screen actually make a clicking noise, or is that just something they advertised but it's realistic?
    Options > Screen and Keyboard
    02-08-09 05:21 PM
    Welcome to the Storm
    02-08-09 05:24 PM
    Is it worth downloading the new OS? I am new as well
    02-08-09 05:31 PM
    There are entire threads dedicated to users' findings when using the leaked OSes. Just peruse/search the OS sub-forum for whatever questions you have regarding the leaked builds, or just dive right into the findings threads and see what you think.

As with most things BlackBerry, it's a personal preference. Glad to see some new faces, and I hope the community can help you as much as you need.
    02-08-09 05:34 PM
    There are entire threads dedicated to users' findings when using the leaked OSes. Just peruse/search the OS sub-forum for whatever questions you have regarding the leaked builds, or just dive right into the findings threads and see what you think.

As with most things BlackBerry, it's a personal preference. Glad to see some new faces, and I hope the community can help you as much as you need.
    Thanks, will do.
    02-08-09 05:35 PM
    Is it worth downloading the new OS? I am new as well
    That really depends on you. .75 is laggy and has glitches and whatnot but all of the features work for the most part. Each of the leaked OS's have issues, some significant others not so much. If you use Stereo Bluetooth you will want to stay with .75 as all of the other builds have that broken.

I would personally avoud .99, but if you want do some research on .85 and .90 which were the mostt stable builds FOR ME (other opinions vary) and it is worth noting that .90 adds the ability to use a full QWERTY in portrait mode (albet with small keys) instead, but since you come from the Perl you may want to stick with SureType and then just use the phone in landscape mode when you want a full QWERTY.

It's also worth noting that there is a good chance of another leak sometime in the next week. We were hoping for one this weekend but it has not panned out so far.

Welcome to the Storm and good luck!
    02-08-09 05:37 PM
    .75 works great for me! Im not a fan of leaked OS's.. As far as cases... i would recommend a OEM skin case!
    02-08-09 05:43 PM
    Recently said bye to my Curve 8330.
    02-08-09 06:57 PM
    Good for you. I would suggest keep on using .75 because it isn't a bad OS. Until you get familiar with how the Storm works, you shouldn't dwell right away into a beta relase of the .99.
    02-08-09 07:28 PM
    Welcome and congradultions

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-09 08:23 PM
    any tips to keeping the screen clean???

..my screen still doesn't click ftr
    02-09-09 05:23 AM
    I went from a Pearl 8130 to a Storm this past Saturday. I downloaded .99 and have to far found it to be much better than .75 as far as lagging and screen response go. I would get rid of VZnavigator and a few other apps that are pay to play. They slow down the phone. I also turned on the memory clean feature and put have an icon where I can clean it when I need to. It runs much better than it did out of the box.
    02-09-09 07:22 AM
    Congrats on the new berry!
    02-09-09 08:27 AM
    My screen didn't click and it ended up being a defective phone. It was pretty pathetic, I kept reading of all the storm love on here thinking how much I hated mine and what was I missing. I finally gave it to my hubby to show his smart **** that it isn't all puppies and rainbows and he was like, uhm...your screen is not working. I took it back to Verizon and the rep told me that there have been a few with defective screens.
    02-09-09 08:33 AM
    My screen didn't click and it ended up being a defective phone. It was pretty pathetic, I kept reading of all the storm love on here thinking how much I hated mine and what was I missing. I finally gave it to my hubby to show his smart **** that it isn't all puppies and rainbows and he was like, uhm...your screen is not working. I took it back to Verizon and the rep told me that there have been a few with defective screens.
    I forgot to add that the love affair with my functioning BB Storm has begun.
    02-09-09 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD