I have no idea if this has been discussed to great length, but a lot of us have mentioned at one time or another that the OS currently available isn't really built to take full advantage of the Storm's capabilities. I've talked at length with my roommate about how the OS runs and compares to the iPhone (he currently has an iPhone), and how Apple did a fairly decent job with adapting software to really take advantage of the hardware they had. Now, would it be such a far fetched idea that RIM could possibly use something like the Android OS and add in the Blackberry functionality to come up with something really nice? The software is out on a device and proven to work. The one issue (at least IMO) I could see coming up would be the requirement of logging in with a gmail account.

Anyway, that's my random thought of the day. I'd like to hear what you all think would be the pros and cons.
    04-02-09 03:57 PM
    COming from a mindset where "OS", "Executive", "Application", etc., mean really specific things, I'm not sure what you are referencing.

The lower levels of the OS - that which binds the hardware to the application - seems to be fairly robust on the storm.

Some of the upper levels of the OS - which provide services to the Application - seem to need work: memory management, particullarly in the runtime defragmentation and recovery portions could use work.

The Application, which is composed of Java threads could be and has been ported to run on other OSes.

So, I guess the answer is "yes" to your question...
    04-02-09 04:07 PM
    I'm glad you posted as I hadn't really thought of it all in those terms. I'll try to be as clear as I can with this whole idea. To me, the OS represents my main experience with the device. That which handles the main functions (phone, messaging, etc.) and additional/3rd party apps. It's understandable that there is some instability when it comes to 3rd party stuff, and even programs that may come from RIM itself. In this day and age, it's hard to program something that is 100% perfect out of the gate. It's when there are things seen across the board such as memory management and lag in various actions (such as keyboard input). More upper level OS stuff as you've classified it. As this is a "different" platform, being touch-based, I kind of viewed it as a starting point to really show something new off, while still maintaining that Blackberry feel. I suppose the OS currently does that now, but not quite to the extent I had expected.
    04-02-09 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD