Is alot of "complaints" on the storm more centered around the fact that people simply do not understand exactly how the phone works?

I have seen people who have complaints, on this board, talk about how they cannot do something, or cannot figure something out.. Seems like IF THEY KNEW, it wouldn't be a complaint, and no one would be the wiser.

Correct me if my assumptions are wrong..

BTW... Reading the manual WORKS!
    02-19-09 03:50 PM
    That may be.

As to all the other people making complaints though; by definition, they ARE conversant with how the phone works. That in turn, leaves it you.

As long as we're being anal:

IS, is the third person singular present indicative of be; ARE is the second person singular and plural and first and third person plural present indicative of be.

Still and all, it lightens up a snowy day in central Canuckistan, where the first rule of dealing with cranky technology is RTFM.
    Last edited by Airedog; 02-19-09 at 04:17 PM.
    02-19-09 04:07 PM
    You're right, when I picked up my Storm, I asked if there were a lot of returns/complaints. The girl said majority of the customers return it because they haven't used a touch screen before, and couldn't figure it out. I was used to the whole thing in a few days, since I've been using PDA's for a few years.

But I also think all of us had higher expectations of this device.
    02-19-09 04:10 PM
    I feel because of the hype and advertising push many people have bought the storm through contract or private sale

For many this will be the first blackberry and that is where I consider many of the unhappyness stems from

many would have some from say nokia or samsung which are easy by comparison and so find it hard to figure out the storm.

That said in the first stages many were rushed out with errors similar say to windows vista

Me, It's my first and last blackberry I can't get on with it nor will I use most of it's features

Thats not the phones fault thats mine and ebay will see another one on the sales list

Good phone..not every one's cuppa tea
    02-19-09 05:21 PM
    I do agree with you, most problems are user error. However I feel the software is so behind the hardware for the storm, with that said I think it makes it not very user friendly especialy for a first time black berry user not to mention most are first time touch screen owners as well.

The advertising was great and I feel it has certainly brought a whole new user to the blackberry family....... In conclusion I think it is just a matter of a learning curve for most. But that is why we are here, to help fellow BB Storm users..I know it tool me a few weeks to get this device down.
    02-19-09 05:41 PM
    I have used quite a few touchscreen phones and pda's, HOWEVER, none of them act like the storm. The storm is precise, and does what it was designed to do.

Remember when that other popular touchscreen phone came out? It was almost a year before it really "caught on" in the 3rd party application department.

I have a feeling, the same will lay true with the storm.
    02-19-09 05:51 PM
    i met this girl in a bar that had a storm, and hated it. We talked and I showed her some of the shortcuts built into the phone. She told me she planned on returning it the next day, but after learning more about it started to really like it. and then I referred her to crackberry of course. But i do agree, alot of people just dont understand the full capability of the phone.
    02-19-09 05:58 PM
    (i can be a test dummy) as this is my first blackberry and my first touch screen phone, at first it was very very frustrating how things are laid out, and the amount of features the phone has, ive had it for 2 weeks now and i love it, i can glide right through just about everything now...

but yes being a first hand teest dummy here, the phone is very over whelming at first...but you get use to it
    02-19-09 07:15 PM
    Sometimes its due to the fact that ppl are so frustrated with their phones that they dont even wanna search for an anser. They want help NOW.

Its true, reading the manual helps. But not when ur beta testing. And its not like you can call your provider and say "oh, by the way, im using a leaked OS" lol, u'll definetly wont get any support.

So, this is the next best thing.
    02-19-09 07:19 PM
    A blackberry is a tool, not a phone. "push" is the name of the game.

If you want a game monster, by the iphone.

if you want to listen to music and don't mind itunes, by an iphone.

if you want a functional device that pulls email, details call logs and keeps track of your general life if you let it, you should have one of these.

i don't care which one, as i am looking at my Curve and wondering what i can do with it.

i could sell it on ebay, to allow someone the joy of owning one.

i could put it on the wall, as the first fully featured mobile device that i have enjoyed.

ultimately, i will sell it. the storm kills it. when all of the apps for bb are available for the Storm are out there, it will destroy the itoy.

i work in a place where everyone has the latest gadget. software engineer and i are discussing his iphone and how great it is. i ask him what it can do that my storm can't.

he lists a couple of things that my storm is capable of. he has 16gig of SD memory, but that won't be a problem. i will have that within the week. not because of him, but i have a bunch of files that i use at work that i need the space for.

he told me the storm was slow, but with the newest os, it is just as fast switching as the iphone 3g.

the only advantage he has is that my company has banned the berry as a purchasable device for the company. i don't know why, other than the love affair that they have with big blue.

if you are productive on your device you have a blackberry. if you are interested in the wow factor, or the toyness of it, you have an iphone.

oh yeah, haptic feedback sucks.
    02-19-09 07:44 PM
    The only real complaint about my storm is a lil dust under the screen. This is my first BB and at first it was intimidating and took a couple days to figure out. The click screen was easy to figure out, but the entire setup of blackberry was a lot different than any phone I had used before. After two days worth of reading up on how to operate the phone on crackberry.com, I was in love with my storm.
    02-19-09 07:50 PM
    This was my first BB and my first touch screen and I was overwhelmed the first 2 or 3 days. However that was all it took to figure it out and fall in love with it. I still don't know all the in's and out's but I wouldn't trade it for any other phone.
    02-19-09 07:54 PM
    there are always good tips here.

this is not a PHONE.

it is not a cult, or a way of life, or a ps3. it is a productivity tool.

live it, learn it, but don't mess it up.

if you do, someone here will gladly help you return to awesomeness.
    02-19-09 08:05 PM
    (i can be a test dummy) as this is my first blackberry and my first touch screen phone, at first it was very very frustrating how things are laid out, and the amount of features the phone has, ive had it for 2 weeks now and i love it, i can glide right through just about everything now...

but yes being a first hand teest dummy here, the phone is very over whelming at first...but you get use to it
    The Storm is my first BlackBerry as well. I must admit, I too was a bit overwhelmed at first only because I have never had such a powerful handheld device. It took a bit of playing with to get familiar with how things are done and where they are found but I knew this going into it and actually enjoyed the learning curve, and still do.

A blackberry is a tool, not a phone.
    I think it was the second day I had my Storm, I told my wife, "Whoa, you won't believe it. This thing can make and receive phone calls too!"

My name is Ray, and I am a CrackBerry addict.

Ray
    02-19-09 08:11 PM
    Is alot of "complaints" on the storm more centered around the fact that people simply do not understand exactly how the phone works?

I have seen people who have complaints, on this board, talk about how they cannot do something, or cannot figure something out.. Seems like IF THEY KNEW, it wouldn't be a complaint, and no one would be the wiser.

Correct me if my assumptions are wrong..

BTW... Reading the manual WORKS!
    I could not have said this any better myself! I quit coming here for awhile because a lot of the post were redundant.
    02-19-09 08:20 PM
    Google can be a newbie's best friend...
    02-19-09 08:24 PM
    I started on Crackberry.com about a month before the Storm arrived. On Dec 17 I came over to the dark side from a Treo 700p and haven't looked back. I love the Storm. If you take the time to follow the posts here and take the time to learn it is great. I wish there was a hard copy of the manual instead of over 300 pages of pdf. I understand there is a book out now that I fully intend to buy and read several times.
    02-19-09 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD