Hi guys. I'm new here and today I just purchased the blackberry storm with my upgrade from verizon wireless. I got it this afternoon and I cannot put it down!! I have read many reviews and played with it for a decent amount of time before finally deciding on it. The only negative thing about the phone is it has frozen twice on me so far. I had to do one battery pull and the other time it just froze but then basically just restarted itself. Just wanted to share that lol and wondering if there are more apps coming soon. Thanks guys and happy new year!
    12-31-08 09:07 PM
    Enjoy your Storm it's a great phone that in in my opinion gets better every day!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 09:23 PM
    Make sure you download .85 ASAP!
    12-31-08 09:24 PM
    The official verizon app. store launches some time in the spring. But there are a lot of apps. currently floating around that work great on the storm, just need some minor tweeking. Go to the forum's 3rd party OVA page for more info and apps.
    12-31-08 09:25 PM
    Thanks guys for all the responses. I want to download .85 but I have a macbook and I heard that you can only download it via a windows computer. Is this true?
    12-31-08 09:28 PM
    Not sure. You have the DM right?
    12-31-08 09:32 PM
    Enjoy your Storm it's a great phone that in in my opinion gets better every day!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I second that.
    12-31-08 09:38 PM
    Welcome to the Storm!
    12-31-08 09:41 PM
    Make sure you download .85 ASAP!
    Omg!!! DISREGARD THIS POST!
    Run away as fast as you can from anyone that tells you to screw with your phone before you have even finished taking the protective coating off.

yes, there are a lot of knowledgeable and savvy users here that can help you learn all there is to know about your new blackberry, but unless you absolutely, positively know what you are doing and can fix anything that goes wrong (and it will,) stick with the official firmware and OS releases that are authorized by the manufacturer.
    12-31-08 09:44 PM
    Hi guys. I'm new here and today I just purchased the blackberry storm with my upgrade from verizon wireless. I got it this afternoon and I cannot put it down!! I have read many reviews and played with it for a decent amount of time before finally deciding on it. The only negative thing about the phone is it has frozen twice on me so far. I had to do one battery pull and the other time it just froze but then basically just restarted itself. Just wanted to share that lol and wondering if there are more apps coming soon. Thanks guys and happy new year!
    my phone came with the .65 OS and did have some stablity problems. i immediatly upgraded to the official .75 release and it has been rock solid ever since. no matter what ANYONE tells you, the .85 release is a beta and NOT ready for prime time, for if it was, RIM would RELEASE IT to the public.
    12-31-08 09:49 PM
    Omg!!! DISREGARD THIS POST!
    Run away as fast as you can from anyone that tells you to screw with your phone before you have even finished taking the protective coating off.

yes, there are a lot of knowledgeable and savvy users here that can help you learn all there is to know about your new blackberry, but unless you absolutely, positively know what you are doing and can fix anything that goes wrong (and it will,) stick with the official firmware and OS releases that are authorized by the manufacturer.
    Probably good advice...atleast mess with your phone as is for a couple weeks to get used to it before doing anything like this. By then the next update will probably be available officially.

Unless if you are paying for VZ Nav or Visual Voicemail I would delete those as it will free up a good chunk of memory. Also delete the japanese language support its like 3mb I believe, unless if this is of use to you. Just a few minor things that will free up a good amount of app mem and make the device run faster. For a lot of people they are unneeded since VZN costs $10 a month and VVM is an extra $3 I think which isnt a lot but no point in having the icon take up space if you're not subscribed to it.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do...it took me about 3-4 days before I really started liking it since it was so new to me but I love it now.
    12-31-08 09:49 PM
    Welcome and enjoy the Storm! It is a cool gadget!!!!
    12-31-08 09:50 PM
    Congrats on your phone. It's a great device!
    12-31-08 10:59 PM
    Have fun with it.
    12-31-08 11:08 PM
    i love my storm....i did not think i was gonna like it...however it has become as much a part of me as family guy....
    12-31-08 11:14 PM
    Regarding installing unoffical releases:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boisechic888
    This is why I do not upgrade OS that haven't been approved by my provider yet, (I use Verizon as well and work in data tech support) cuz I know one thing, if we do send ya a replacement at no cost and it gets back to our warehouse and they see that you have DL a OS that is not approved Verizon WILL then put a charge on your acct that will be full retail price which is 499.99, so I just wait until the offical release
    12-31-08 11:26 PM
    Welcome to the crack nation. You'll love the Storm, Quirks and all. I keeps getting better everyday.
    01-01-09 01:04 AM
    My brother got his Storm 3 days ago, the first thing I did to help him out was to wipe it. Install .85 and the Essential Apps. (No VVM or VZ Nav)

.85 is Amazing to me.
    01-01-09 01:09 AM
    Thanks guys for all the responses. I want to download .85 but I have a macbook and I heard that you can only download it via a windows computer. Is this true?
    welcome fellow tarheel fan - bb team's looking good so far. wish we would've done better in the bowl game, but can't complain about the season.

so, yes you can only install unofficial os releases with a pc. that said, i wouldn't recommend updating your os until the official release is out. the incremental improvements don't outweigh the potential downsides (see the sub forum about leaked os issues)
    01-01-09 07:03 AM
    My brother got his Storm 3 days ago, the first thing I did to help him out was to wipe it. Install .85 and the Essential Apps. (No VVM or VZ Nav)

.85 is Amazing to me.
    DUDE! Are you kidding, it's HIS phone, wtfo?
    make sure you let your brother know you have voided his warrantee before he even got a chance to play with it. to you it may be amazing, but i'm sure glad you aren't MY brother...
    01-02-09 07:53 PM
    I don't know why everyone is rushing to upgrade to .85 OS.

Can someone explain to me what makes .85 so much better?

Since I got my phone with the .75 OS, I have had no problems whatsoever.
    01-02-09 08:00 PM
    I posted earlier but I got mine today and I love it. I can't freakin' believe that it could be so cool. This thing ROCKS!
    01-02-09 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD