Hi everybody (simpsons reference)!
    Just bought a blackberry 9530 from a friend who had it for a few months with no plan (went over on his bill and went to at&t) and I'm pretty psyched bc this is my first blackberry. I can imagine the countless, useless threads started by noobs asking the same old questions so I'm gonna try and make this one different.
    I have an Ipod touch so when it comes to apps, email, and games I turn to that. But I want to customize my blackberry as much as possible. Can anyone provide links or suggestions?
    I'm interested in:

unlocking my phone (know I have to pay but would like to do it for free. don't see how I can call verizon with no contract)

Custom wallpapers/themes
    Custom ring tones (how to make them)
    How to upload music to my BB
    Which OS should I get (I know 5.0 just came out and is good, but is it good for me? My OS is 4.7.0.148)
    Setting up my email
    What limitations do I have with no verizon plan (getting a contract or prepaid this weekend)

I'm still getting used to the forums so I'm sorry if a thread like this is located somewhere here.

So any of you guys with BB experience, can you suggest what I should do?
    Make believe you lost your BB, just got a new one, and want to trick it out asap.

Thanks!
    Last edited by YankeeBerry; 01-08-10 at 06:41 PM.
    01-08-10 06:30 PM
    Just bought a blackberry 9530 from a friend who had it for a few months with no plan (went over on his bill and went to at&t) and I'm pretty psyched bc this is my first blackberry. I can imagine the countless, useless threads started by noobs asking the same old questions so I'm gonna try and make this one different.
    I have an Ipod touch so when it comes to apps, email, and games I turn to that. But I want to customize my blackberry as much as possible. Can anyone provide links or suggestions?
    I'm interested in:

unlocking my phone (know I have to pay but would like to do it for free. don't see how I can call verizon with no contract)

Custom wallpapers/themes
    Which OS should I get (I know 5.0 just came out and is good, but is it good for me? My OS is 4.7.0.148)
    Setting up my email
    What limitations do I have with no verizon plan (getting a contract or prepaid this weekend)

I'm still getting used to the forums so I'm sorry if a thread like this is located somewhere here.

Make believe you lost your BB, just got a new one, and want to trick it out asap.

Thanks!
    1. Try HorizonWireless for unlocking. Correct, you can't call VZW.
    2. Wallpapers - See the Wallpaper section on this site!
    3. Themes - See the themes section on this site! You can try mine if you want http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...43#post4160843
    4. Just plug in you BB to your computer, and drag music onto it like a hard drive. I suggest dragging it into the Music folder on the BB, of course.
    5. Old OS, man. Definitely upgrade to 5.0. See here: http://crackberry.com/official-os-5-...0-mts-mobility
    6. Setting up email - go to "Email Settings" on your BB. Should be a separate icon somewhere, most likely in the "setup" folder.
    7. With an unlocked phone, you have no limitations on carrier (with the 9530 you can even activate on Verizon) as long as AT&T didn't blacklist your friend's phone's ESN. If so, this could be a big problem as you will need to figure out a way to clear the phone's ESN with AT&T. Then just pop in any SIM card, or activate on Verizon. If the ESN is blacklisted, you will only be able to make phone calls on another network. No internet, no email.
    01-08-10 08:03 PM
    Hey Doctor Nick! PM or email me if you need any help getting started on CB.
    01-08-10 10:58 PM
    Thanks guys! I can tell this forum is gonna be helpful!
    Guess I got some work to do..(cracks knuckles)

EDIT: quick question....can I unlock the phone without a carrier? Is it possible to use Verizons prepaid service with a 9530?
    Last edited by YankeeBerry; 01-09-10 at 01:48 PM.
    01-09-10 01:45 PM
    01-09-10 03:32 PM
    Thanks grey, those will be extremely helpful
    01-09-10 04:42 PM
    nice theme jlaw, I actually had those icons on my itouch for a while, real sleek. Maybe we got them from the same place.
    01-10-10 07:22 AM
    I'm interested in:

Custom wallpapers/themes
    Setting up my email

Thanks!
    You will be able to have it work on a gsm network once unlocked, but the device can only be unlocked for free by the carrier.
    01-12-10 04:27 PM
    if i want to stay on VZ can i still unlock my phone???? what are the benefits if i still chose to stay on VZ?????if any?
    01-12-10 05:40 PM
    did he go over on his bill and NOT PAY? if so, couldnt the sim card or pin code be blocked or something?
    01-12-10 05:40 PM
    Unlocking it and staying on verizon gives you no benefit as mentioned its only so you can use it on a gsm carrier.

Having a paid account or not will not affect the device from being unlocked and used on a gsm network. It will only stop you from using it on Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 05:42 PM
    gotcha...thanks wasnt sure...
    01-12-10 05:43 PM
    thanks dude
    01-12-10 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD