Well I went to the verizon store to pick up a shiny new tour and walked out with the storm. I am coming from att where I used a bold and I loved it. I never played with the storm before, so while i was waiting for the salesman to get to me i spent a half and hour playing with a storm because i pretty much new what the tour was. I found myself having a little fun figuring a new device out. It was not like what i was expecting from reading some post's on here. Well anyway I bought the storm and I just finished loading .151 on it. I have 30 days to return if it goes to **** but i hope it will be ok. Is there a good anti-glare screen protector and a good case anyone can suggest. I would also love any advice that you could give me that would ease my learning curve a little. Thanks for the help.
    08-02-09 02:04 AM
    Congrats! Let's us know how u like it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 02:08 AM
    Well I went to the verizon store to pick up a shiny new tour and walked out with the storm. I am coming from att where I used a bold and I loved it. I never played with the storm before, so while i was waiting for the salesman to get to me i spent a half and hour playing with a storm because i pretty much new what the tour was. I found myself having a little fun figuring a new device out. It was not like what i was expecting from reading some post's on here. Well anyway I bought the storm and I just finished loading .151 on it. I have 30 days to return if it goes to **** but i hope it will be ok. Is there a good anti-glare screen protector and a good case anyone can suggest. I would also love any advice that you could give me that would ease my learning curve a little. Thanks for the help.
    Nice to hear Hoosier! .151 is a great OS and has much better memory management over .148. Check out PK's Tips & Tricks as well as the BB 101 Lecture Series for the Storm Lecture (both links in my sig)

I picked up the seidio Innocase II and love it! I got the original Innocase and the clasps broke off super quick. This one offers a better fit and stays on. May want to get quickpull or QL to use the reset feature so you dont have to take the case off to do batt pulls, as it is a little bit of a pain with the Innocase II.
    08-02-09 02:10 AM
    Thanks for the Innocase advice, I will check them out. I had a couple for my curve. The hybrid did not fare very well but the all black did a pretty good job. Neither one really fit real well in one corner of the device. I will check out Pk's tips. thanks
    08-02-09 02:15 AM
    Thanks for the Innocase advice, I will check them out. I had a couple for my curve. The hybrid did not fare very well but the all black did a pretty good job. Neither one really fit real well in one corner of the device. I will check out Pk's tips. thanks
    Yeah i also had it on my curve and had the same issues. The Innocase II for Storm is awesome though and has a better feel to it also. Makes it feel solid.
    08-02-09 02:17 AM
    1. Battery Conversation.

Settings and preferences should be set to converse power. The Network Connections appears to be the primary drain in power for the Storm. Set the Network Tech (under Mobile Network>Options) from Global to 1XEV. Set Screen options to the lowest settings. Note that even if the auto dim is set to the shortest, the right 2-tier button convenience can be pushed slightly to light the screen at any time! Close apps after use and ensure any apps that update are at the longest time interval to update, or none.

Do a battery pull, or use a 3rd party app to simulate one, to refresh memory and remove any excess mystery junk from the phone.

2. Touch Settings.

Set touch options to your own comfort. Recommended key rate is fast. Recommended touchscreen settings are interval and hover at 100 and sensitivity at 6.

3. Unknown Shortcuts.

There are a lot of unmentioned shortcuts and tricks on this phone. In re SMS or Email, hit the BB button twice to Send. Touch the persons name in an SMS (not highlight or press Surepress) and hit BB button to call that person. Press space twice to enter a period. Hold BB button for the App Loader (acts similarly to a Home Screen Tab bar). You get the point.

4. Cases and Anti-Glare.

I have read that there are anti-glare protectors available. but I have no clue whether they are any good.

As to a case, you have to provide more detail on what you would like. It's all up to you. Soft, rubber, leather, or Hard. I personally like the Vajas, Otterbox and Incipio, although I don't use a case, just a VZ protector.

If the hardware is satisfactory, take your time and enjoy. The learning experience is actually quite fun if one has patience. It's definitely not your normal phone experience.

All in all, keep in mind that the Storm is still a normal BB, but with a touch screen; it functions like... a BB. It's still a BB in the end.
    08-02-09 05:03 AM
    Thanks for the helpful tips. I recently bought a Storm as well and it is my very first blackberry. I am loving it minus the times when it takes a long time to wake up after being locked for a long period of time.
    08-02-09 05:51 AM
    One thing I found with .151 is that if you d/l a theme, MAKE SURE that it is compatible with .151 or it may lock up your phone and you'll need to do a reload of everything just to get it back to where it was.

Found that out the hard way...
    08-02-09 05:56 AM
    I got my first BB about 8 weeks ago. Because of this forum I love my Storm.

Piano Man
    08-02-09 09:53 AM
    Welcome to the club
    08-02-09 09:55 AM
    Nice choice you won't regret it.
    08-02-09 09:56 AM
    Well, i appreciate all of the good advice. I think that I need to figure out all of the bb shortcuts to the device. I think that will help speed things along.
    08-02-09 10:54 AM
    Does anyone know if the screen is made out of plastic or glass?
    08-02-09 10:59 AM
    i have a storm and have several cases for it... i really like my seidio 360 holster combo, and i have a silicone case and a invisible shield and just a seidio spring clip holster.. these are all things i recommend taking a look at and as a screen protector the invisible shield full body comes with one and its great..
    08-02-09 11:18 AM
    i used a simple case and invisible shield like covering and it worked perfectly fine.
    08-02-09 11:38 AM
    I like the OtterBox Defender case. It's not tiny, but I've dropped the phone a number of times and it gives incredible protection.
    08-02-09 01:07 PM
    Welcome! Screen is glass, i believe.

Also do a search on YouTube. There's some good info folks have taken the time to film.
    08-02-09 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD