some websites i visit tells me i should turn on the java////
    should i turn it on what is java ??
    03-25-09 08:33 AM
    Java is a programming language. In regards to websites it allows little mini programs to run that add functionality to the website, for example for a news ticker to scroll across the page. To turn on javascript with the BB browser open, press the BB button and select Options, then browser configuration, check prompt to enable javascript and support javascript. There are settings under General Properties you may need to play with also, such as Enable javascript location.
    03-25-09 08:40 AM
    ok thanks pk
    03-25-09 08:42 AM
    Glad this topic was brought up, I have a question about Javascript. In following the tips to make browsing faster I turned JavaScript off, but checked the box that says "prompt to enable javascript". With that said I had recently visited a site that required Javascript enabled to work, however I was never prompted to enable javascript. After manually turning javascript back on the website worked.

Not sure if I am understand how this prompt is supposed to work, but I figured if the site needs it, it would let me know to turn it on.

I do notice that leaving it enabled all the time really kills the browsing speed, so I always leave it off.

Any insight as to why this acted this way?

Thanks much,

Chris
    03-25-09 09:29 AM
    Java is a programming language. In regards to websites it allows little mini programs to run that add functionality to the website, for example for a news ticker to scroll across the page. To turn on javascript with the BB browser open, press the BB button and select Options, then browser configuration, check prompt to enable javascript and support javascript. There are settings under General Properties you may need to play with also, such as Enable javascript location.
    And just to add a bit to that... Java and JavaScript are two entirely different things, and have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

The Storm's browser supports JavaScript, but it does NOT support Java. The good news is that Java craplets in web pages is exceedingly rare these days. The bad news is that they were supplanted by even worse Flash craplets which the Storm browser (mercifully) doesn't support.
    03-25-09 10:23 AM
    Wow, it does really slow things down but I am glad I know how to do this for when the site doesn't prompt me! Thanks!
    04-23-09 12:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD