With these post all over the place. And ranging from I LOVE MY Storm to I HATE the storm and have taken it back. Can there really be this big of variation with the phones or is it the user? I have a storm and haven't had any of the issue. And from reading I'm not the only one with a "Good" phone. So bottom line what do you guys out there think is it the phone or the user? Or Both? Also, I was thinking like alot of people that got theirs on the day it launched seems to have alot of issues!! And people ordered theirs and just got them love it??
    Last edited by mantray82; 11-30-08 at 07:13 PM.
    11-30-08 07:11 PM
    i have been a berry user for years now, from my 8700, to the pearl, to the curve, then to the bold. i have had all my berry on at&t and never had a problem with service anytime, but of course, i had to have the newest berry out there, since i would consider myself a gadget geek. so i ordered the storm from verizon, and didn't port my number from at&t because i figure i want to try out the service before i cancel my service with at&t and have to pay the ETF. i am begining to think i a made the right move because i just don't think the storm operates at good as the bold. my storm freezes up for seconds at a time, then catches up again. i am thinking maybe it's just because i am in my house with it, as soon as i go outside, my bars go up and things seem to move faster, but my bold from at&t runs great in the house. i am going to give it the 30 days before i send it back to see if any updates help with my issues, i did the upgrade to the .75, but i just didn't really see a big difference with the exception of the accellerameter running a bit smoother. if it came down to it today, i would send it back and stick with the bold. i really love the storm, i just wish it ran as smoothly as the bold for me..... i think i am a "talented" blackberry user, so my vote is the phone.
    11-30-08 07:41 PM
    Definitely both. Some people might know how to use the device and might have a ****ty device. Some might suck with the device and have a good device. When you need to put something into the back of the phone to make it click properly, it has to be the phone.
    11-30-08 07:55 PM
    With these post all over the place. And ranging from I LOVE MY Storm to I HATE the storm and have taken it back. Can there really be this big of variation with the phones or is it the user? I have a storm and haven't had any of the issue. And from reading I'm not the only one with a "Good" phone. So bottom line what do you guys out there think is it the phone or the user? Or Both? Also, I was thinking like alot of people that got theirs on the day it launched seems to have alot of issues!! And people ordered theirs and just got them love it??
    I think its a little of both!
    11-30-08 07:56 PM
    i think 70% user 30 % storm
    11-30-08 08:06 PM
    It's the phone.
    I'm sure the percentage of CrackBerry nation that have been complaining about a variety of major issues with their Storms can't ALL be idiots or sitting at home smacking them with hammers.

The Storm has problems. Never mind the cute little "stick a business card behind the battery" so-called "fix" for the unresponsive clicks on the touchscreen - the device is plagued with software bugs.

Doing a battery pull once or twice a day on a brand new phone? Unexceptable.

Likely, some people just frankly lucked out with their Storms - maybe they got the last-second software patch the first units that hit the stores didn't receive. Maybe an entire run of these things had some bad code and it was too late to recall. Maybe these users with the "perfect" Storms just haven't hit upon exactly the right mundane sequence of actions to have something go kaboom yet.

Who knows.
    But my own hands-on time, the negative responses from MANY in these forums alone, several scathing reviews online and in print, the hurried update, etc and so on... It all points to There's definately something wrong with the Storm, and all this horror-show feedback isn't simply being invented by a small group of liars or iPhone fanboys, or casual users who seem to know a great deal on how to destroy installed software.
    11-30-08 08:41 PM
    I believe about 80% are user issues there are plenty of threads with new bb users saying this doesn't or that doesn't work I must be extremely lucky my storm is fine and always has been no lag screen is fine and responsive...so far so good
    11-30-08 08:46 PM
    i think 70% user 30 % storm
    Sounds pretty accurate to me. I'd even go 80-20.
    11-30-08 08:50 PM
    Sounds pretty accurate to me. I'd even go 80-20.
    I totally agree. I will admit this... I was not a fan of my Storm for the first 3 hours. But, now that I've played with it for over a week now it is by far the best damn phone out there. I owned an iPhone for a couple of months and loved it but think the Storm has much greater potential (notice the word potential... of course we have to wait for Apps to be developed for this to come true).

Anyway, I think the Storm is unique in that it does take some getting used to. It isn't a "first impression" kind of device. It is a "power user" kind of device that once I learned how to use it, I am quicker on it than I was on my Pearl and Curve and iPhone.

PErsonally, I haven't had any of the major issues - no random restarts, click works just fine, etc. I upgraded to .75 without any problems too. Maybe I just got lucky and have a flawless device but from a hardware/sotware perspective mine works great. From a user perspective, it takes a little while but once you're over the learning "curve" (no pun intended) and all the little tips and tricks you realize the potential of this device.
    11-30-08 09:04 PM
    If the user has never owned a Black, its most likely their fault. They don't understand the OS at all (understandable).

Previous Blackberry users that can't stand the storm don't give it a chance from what I've seen. They immediately get fed up because its not as fast as their curve.

I expected the storm to be slow because of all the new stuff it has. There's so much going on behind that whopping touch screen and yet it blazes past the speed of ANY WinMo phone I've ever used.

The Storm's expectations were way too high (partly VZW's fault).

My 2 cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-08 09:10 PM
    Too many variables to really get a good perspective.

Previous BB users who hammered out a hundred e-mails a day will most likely not like the touchscreen keyboard. Dump phone users will have an OS learning curve. There a definately some defective Storms out there (I'd say the random reboots are most likely defective).

Personally, I had a dumb phone up until 2 months prior to the storm release. I bought a pearl to get used to the OS and BB philosophy. I was fourth in line and got my storm on day 1 (so no, it's not a first shipment issue). I have had some lag, phone auto-focus is slow, and unlock would hang, but overall was happy with the phone (definately not a horror story and I do not have to pull my battery). .75 definately speeded up the accelerometer in apps (to heck with home screen... if you bought this to turn the home screen back and forth, then there is definately a User Issue involved.)

My main purpose for getting this phone was to increase ablility to communicate, carry photos, browse the web and listen to mp3s without being a fanboy. This definately suits my purposes. According to BGR the next update he's played with is even better.

So again, we're talking a much larger user audience here. Many people picking up a storm are not necessarily your usual BB suspects.
    11-30-08 09:19 PM
    As I read through the forums I have mentally lumped users into a few categories:

1) People who expected too much out of touchscreen -- this one is frustrating - why do they continue to post here is beyond me. We get it, you don't want to switch from a keyboard - good. These are the ones that cannot believe that RIM produced a phone with bugs - 1/2 of them don't have the phone so I try to ignore them.
    2) People who are truly confused at a BB or any smartphone really. they expect it to work like a dumb phone by turning it on and going - they need to realize these are mini computers not just a phone and to do what they want they need to spend some time.
    3) people with real issues. It is obvious that some devices are not working the way they should. These people are the most vocal and so it seems like there are a lot of re boots and phone answer issues but compared to the amount of people on the forum - not a high percentage
    4) Majority of folks who are happy or at least satisfied with the current state of the phone. They range from folks that have no issues - or have minor issues and understand that updates will fix a good portion.

I fall back on personal experience - 5 storms no issues - and the poll where 80%+ satisfied.
    11-30-08 09:43 PM
    Previous BB users who hammered out a hundred e-mails a day will most likely not like the touchscreen keyboard.
    Generally speaking I agree with all you said except for this quote. I am a power business user who types tons of emails a day on my Blackberry. I absolutely LOVE the Storms keyboard. I think people just need to give it it's due time and justice to get used to it. Granted, I come from a Pearl (among other phones), though, so I'm used to the SureType philosophy.
    11-30-08 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD