Once all the kinks from the storm are worked out you will be able to accomplish more then the Iphone did. Just dont expect it to be as eloquent as an Iphone! That smooth scrolling and all those refinements on the Iphone just wont happen! Like I said I am willing to give up those "toys" for a phone that can hold it's own against the Iphone for the privilege of being on the Verizon network. Again I am a casual user not one that will be using it for corporate use. Basically middle of the road so thats where my viewpoint lays. My opinion will obviously be different from a corporate user
    11-24-08 11:11 PM
    All these issues have really made me change my mind....I love the storm...in no way am i an apple fan boy..i love electronics....should i still make the switch????? seems like alot of people are returning the device. You shouldnt have to put paper in the battery section to make it work better....come on RIM...
    dude, i just left the idrop-phone-calls and could not be happier.

i traded in my iPhone for the Storm. Picked mine up at Costco (first one they sold) and got the accessories free and no activation fee.

to be really honest, i didn't like the Storm at first after coming from the iPhone. at first, i thought i would just get a Curve in a few days when the Mania died down since they were out... this was called iDoubt

now, after spending a day with it, i was typing faster than i ever did on my iPhone in the QWERTY keyboard and even faster with the SureType Keyboard. my 7130 was not really much different from the Storm, aside from the glitz and glamor. this was called iSurprise

i'm so grateful to be back on Verizon and even more glad to get my emails - as my iPhone stopped fetching emails about 5 months ago and i would have to check all 4 of my accounts manually throughout the day. a real PITA and waste of battery. what a difference between the two phones. this iphone feature was called i-Don't-Fetch-Email-Unless-You-Make-Me

i really wanted to like my iPhone - and in some ways i did, but between att svc, and perpetually checking my email, it was quite difficult. you would have to have owned and used an iphone to appreciate the subtle ineffectiveness of the phone, and it's very strong and detracting detriments i speak of. the iPhone does some things quite well, but it is NOT a business phone. the Storm is. this is called iOwn-My-Own-Business

i'm so glad i am back on Verizon and with my fix of the crack... i'm a power user and the phone suits my needs in the absence of a Bold on Verizon.

Oh, and no crashes, or any other miscreant type behavior from my unit. the transitions seem slow, but i think that's just the animation needing to be sped up... not the phone lagging.

lastly, the iPhone simply can not match the BB for battery life. I have been using mine, HARD CORE for the past few days and have charged the battery every other day. there is NO WAY IN **** you could EVER do that with an iPhone. EVER... this is called iSuck-Batteries

3 things i do not like about the Storm:

1. weak vibrator just like the iPhone
    2. difficult to answer phone calls at times.
    3. the speaker and mute button can be pushed with your cheek while you're talking

take it or leave it. i'd NEVER EVER EVER go back to ATT or the iPhone. EVER.

i own several Macs and work with Apple machines all day long... but the iPhone is NOT made for business people.
    Last edited by the1sen; 11-24-08 at 11:14 PM.
    11-24-08 11:12 PM
    You want an opinion from a former iPhone user?

Little background here as to why I had to give up my iPhone a few weeks ago.They put a roaming restriction on my account (family plan) because of too many off-network calls. We could no longer make calls while roaming. So ATT was cancelled and we signed with VZ.

Anyway, I got the Storm on saturday. Initally NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. But sunday and monday it seemed to behave alot better. There are things about the Storm that I absolutely think are better than the iPhone. BUT...if I could I would go back to my iPhone. IMO the user experience is just so much more fluid and easy.
    11-24-08 11:16 PM
    i have not experienced any of these issues... tho some have. you don't speak for everyone and those who do have those issues can simply return it for one that does not have those issues. so i dont get your point
    I dont know maybe its just me, But I would like to know of a hardware problem on the phone. Maybe you dont see an issue with buying a product that has a known hardware flaw, Unfortunately I do! If You have the time and dont care about returning a phone resetting it up with contacts and whatnot all over again be my guest! I however will not tolerate that and will wait for a final product! DO you get my point now? Do I need to make it any more clear for you?

What the heck let me do it one more time just in case you still dont get it! Product has known flaw, the percentage of them with this known hardware flaw is not known, no matter what you say. I DO care about having a FAULTY unit, and DONT want to have to take a RISK and end up RETURNING it!
    11-24-08 11:16 PM
    I owned the iPhone for over a year from August 2007 to October 2008. So I would say that I had plenty of time to get acquainted with it. I know it well. I love apple products. I do not expect perfection from my equipment generally speaking...so I can live with some quirks. Also, I had to pay to break the AT&T contract too...and I did it to get back to Verizon. I originally started with the Curve, not even knowing that the Storm was a possibility. So, I didn't drop the iPhone just to get the Storm. I simply wanted out of AT&T and the iPhone was not worth me sticking around any longer.

So...here's my answer to you. Short: Yes, I think the Storm is a better solution to have an integrated smartphone.

Long: Both have some benefits and problems, so you should be willing to accept that neither will be the BEST solution FOREVER. Weigh what's important to you.

1. What I miss the most from the iPhone is the SENT, TRASH, DRAFT, INBOX folders for my email accounts. The blackberry products don't seem to have that feature. If they do, I sure would appreciate someone telling me where and how to turn that feature on...because that was a very valuable feature to me.

2. Visual voicemail was a super great feature on the iPhone, very happy with the version offered on the Storm. That's an even trade.

3. The Apps store...yeah, I miss that. However, I survived a long time on the iPhone without it while Apple opened their doors to developers. And, I'm fairly confident that the Storm will have an apps store sometime in the next year. I can wait that out. I did like the Facebook app a lot better on the iPhone, so if they could upgrade that too...yeah.

4. AT&T was awful in all of my experiences. At my home, i was in the backyard to send text messages...and on the corner of the street to actually have a conversation. On the road, the phone would drop calls like crazy even in big cities like Los Angeles and San Diego.

5. I had 4 iPhones during that 18 month stretch. Mostly because of dropped calls, poor reception, or phone not ringing. My favorite thing that happened LOTS of times was the phone just didn't ring. I'd be in full service area, and the phone just missed the calls. I managed to reproduce that in front of the Apple store people and they replaced the phone. But, it happened on the next three phones too. I gave up trying to solve that problem and it was a big reason for me switching phones.

6. The previous person's advice about viewing the Storm's keyboard as a dual-handed typing is good advice. The iPhone is much more forgiving on the letter selection, whereas the Storm seems to be more picky about the direction/angle your finger is coming from. If I cross over, I tend to get the wrong letter selected. If I don't cross, it is usually dead on.

7. The email pushing is better with the Storm. My iPhone had a habit of saying it was "connecting" to check email, but never actually doing it. So, it would go hours without getting email...and the only way to fix it was to do a hard power-down. I got tired of doing that three or four times a day.

8. The browsing on the iPhone was MUCH better than on the Storm. I haven't tried the Opera program yet...so maybe that will help. However, the Storm is a vast improvement over the Curve that I had been using for the last month. I think the Storm's browsing is "good enough" but not exciting. The iPhone had the edge (no pun intended) there.

9. I love that you can tether the Storm. I love the big screen. I love having MMS back. I don't have paper in the battery case. I have had quirks and odd moments...but it is really similar to when the iPhone bugs were getting worked out too. VERY similar.

So, yeah...I'm excited to be back on Verizon (i was with them before the iPhone). I'm getting phone calls, making phone calls, and doing all that a smart phone should.
    Last edited by katiedis; 11-24-08 at 11:21 PM.
    11-24-08 11:17 PM
    i'm so grateful to be back on Verizon and even more glad to get my emails - as my iPhone stopped fetching emails about 5 months ago and i would have to check all 4 of my accounts manually throughout the day. a real PITA and waste of battery. what a difference between the two phones. this iphone feature was called i-Don't-Fetch-Email-Unless-You-Make-Me

i really wanted to like my iPhone - and in some ways i did, but between att svc, and perpetually checking my email, it was quite difficult. you would have to have owned and used an iphone to appreciate the subtle ineffectiveness of the phone, and it's very strong and detracting detriments i speak of. the iPhone does some things quite well, but it is NOT a business phone. the Storm is. this is called iOwn-My-Own-Business
    YES...that exactly. Well said. I experienced the exact same issues and problems.
    11-24-08 11:20 PM
    dude, i just left the idrop-phone-calls and could not be happier.

i traded in my iPhone for the Storm. Picked mine up at Costco (first one they sold) and got the accessories free and no activation fee.

to be really honest, i didn't like the Storm at first after coming from the iPhone. at first, i thought i would just get a Curve in a few days when the Mania died down since they were out... this was called iDoubt

now, after spending a day with it, i was typing faster than i ever did on my iPhone in the QWERTY keyboard and even faster with the SureType Keyboard. my 7130 was not really much different from the Storm, aside from the glitz and glamor. this was called iSurprise

i'm so glad i am back on Verizon and with my fix of the crack... i'm a power user and the phone suits my needs in the absence of a Bold on Verizon.

Oh, and no crashes, or any other miscreant type behavior from my unit. the transitions seem slow, but i think that's just the animation needing to be sped up... not the phone lagging.

lastly, the iPhone simply can not match the BB for battery life. I have been using mine, HARD CORE for the past few days and have charged the battery every other day. there is NO WAY IN **** you could EVER do that with an iPhone. EVER... this is called iSuck-Batteries

3 things i do not like about the Storm:

1. weak vibrator just like the iPhone
    2. difficult to answer phone calls at times.
    3. the speaker and mute button can be pushed with your cheek while you're talking

take it or leave it. i'd NEVER EVER EVER go back to ATT or the iPhone. EVER.

i own several Macs and work with Apple machines all day long... but the iPhone is NOT made for business people.
    This is by far one of the best posts I have EVER seen on here!!! WOW
    11-24-08 11:20 PM
    This turned out to b a great thread! Im really glad to see the iphone vs storm info from hands-on users also.

I bought an iphone last week and wanted to get a storm the same weekend (yes i waste money) but i decided to hold off on the storm until at least the next update, and then we will see what turns out with that.

What am i looking forward to?

MMS
    Video
    Superior email
    VERIZON
    horizontal keyboard
    few others but thats bout the top ones.

One question i have about the above reviews is that someone said there is no inbox/sent/trash/etc?! How the heck can that be?! Blackberry is an email device, with no folders?! LOL .... someone please verify that he is wrong
    11-24-08 11:41 PM

1. What I miss the most from the iPhone is the SENT, TRASH, DRAFT, INBOX folders for my email accounts. The blackberry products don't seem to have that feature. If they do, I sure would appreciate someone telling me where and how to turn that feature on...because that was a very valuable feature to me.
    In messages or your BIS email of choice, go to view folder.. however i dont think there is a draft...
    11-25-08 12:18 AM
    In messages or your BIS email of choice, go to view folder.. however i dont think there is a draft...
    If you do make a draft it shows up in your regular email list with a Green coloured letter icon next to it letting you know that it is a draft.
    11-25-08 12:24 AM
    Call me what you will but here's my story.

Look at some of my other posts to see where I'm coming from (if you care) but I don't have a preference to a brand.

I had the Storm since Saturday and personally I didn't like it. I had trouble typing, it was slow and I felt like I had to go through 5 screens just to accomplish something. I got pretty frustrated and I really wanted to love the phone - I wanted it to be the all-in-one solution for me. It just wasn't and I suppose I wasn't patient enough to wait for more updates. I will be traveling a lot over the next few months so I wanted something to work today.

I also didn't like that fact that if I wanted to use the GPS in the VZ Navigator it was 10 more bucks a month.

What was important to me is described in another thread called "The Storm is Like Steven Hawking..." Check it out or don't but it's a quick real world experience I had with my Storm.

So I returned it this morning and I exchanged it for a iphone (got them both at Bestbuy)

So here's the skinny for me:

I like my iphone. I have already downloaded about 25 apps that I can see myself using on a regular basis. I don't care about the fishing games or other glamour type stuff - I just want to be able to check scores, find movie times, Google on the go, etc.

The maps are pretty cool - when I was driving on the highway tonight I started it up and I saw my little push pin zipping along the highway - little things impress me.

What I miss about the Storm. The call clarity is pretty phenomenal - I can honestly say that talking on the Storm is the best cell phone calls I had ever made. When I got my iphone home I goofed around on the app store and things like that but the call quality is crap on ATT.

Email. It's no secret that RIM dominates anything out there on email. I had several accounts - they updated instantly, just about perfect in my book.

The iphone email does lack if you don't go and get their mobileme software. I got a 60 day trial tonight and it was a tiny bit confusing to set up but it's working now and my email delays around about 1 minute.

All and all - take what you read with a grain of salt and consider the sources. You will get both kinds.

1. The loyal Blackberry user that feels that RIM can do no wrong - they will blindly follow anything that is put out and trash anything and everything else on the market. They refuse to admit that there are shortcomings and dismiss these problems to stay loyal.

2. The loyal Blackberry user that hold RIM to such a crazy high standard that they nit-pick the littlest things. It's a new technology for RIM and because it deviates from the smooth experiences they have had with past devices - RIM will get a raw deal when it comes to minor problems.

3. Then there's the level headed person that just reads these forums and throws in their 2 cents for what its worth. No agenda, just trying to be helpful.

There are a lot of 3s - but some 1s and 2s are out there too.

Am I an iphone fanboy? I don't know (can you be after 10 hours?) I don't plan on dancing through the streets and singing the praises of a phone. But I also don't plan on defending it any chance I get.

My work phone is a BB (not the storm) and my phone fun is the iphone.

The right thing to do is exercise the 30 day policy that both companies have and decide for yourself. Good luck
    11-25-08 03:05 AM
    some GREAT replies here! Thanks a ton guys...I think i am gonna wait it out...i will see if they release a new update soon and go from there...the 1 thing about these boards is instant feedback....

I am still torn.

I dont need a phone for work. I sit at my desk all day and my company doesnt even offer a BB.

My cell phone is basically for fun...I disagree with "iphones are for chicks" and "the iphone is a toy".. AT&T is fine around me so that throws a wrench into it as well....

I just miss MMS, text fwding, video, and copy and paste. I know it will show up on the iphone sooner or later...
    11-25-08 08:27 AM
    games = iPhone
    business = Storm

no debates. that's called an iFact
    11-25-08 05:57 PM
    i have owned 3 iphones on AT&T network, 1 2G and 2 3G. Great phone loved it(minor issues, that apple solved),but AT&T sucks.

Storm=Verizon, in my opinion it is much better.

And if storm(expected tomorrow) can come close to the iphone, its a plus just for the verizon service.
    11-25-08 06:18 PM
    Oh, thank you!!! Off to go change my settings! Wow, between this and Viigo today I am one happy person!
    11-25-08 06:41 PM
    This is by far one of the best posts I have EVER seen on here!!! WOW
    iThanks

Feels good to be iDentified with.

By the way, it's day 5 for me and i only have 3 issues with my Storm.

1. a little difficult to answer at times. Green button doesn't respond 100% of the time
    2. my cheek likes to touch buttons on the touch screen while talking at times.
    3. the vibrator is still weak.

Other than that, I'm still kicking myself in the ball$ for not getting back to my BlackBerry sooner. This is called iRegret
    11-25-08 09:44 PM
    Not sure about everybody else but my click screen works flawlessly, even with the battery out I still get perfect click-ability all around, personally I think that the paper trick is BS
    11-25-08 10:00 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD