They need to enable hardware acceleration on their graphics.

But that would require a major overhaul.
    01-02-09 11:28 AM
    that would be wonderful!
    01-02-09 11:29 AM
    They need to enable hardware acceleration on their graphics.

But that would require a major overhaul.
    hardware acceleration? why would they need to do that, all they have to do is change it so that the screen keeps moving once your finger is lifted.
    01-02-09 11:31 AM
    what's so great about this? I've never really used the iphone so i'm not sure. I like the way it scrolls now, but what's the benefit?
    01-02-09 11:42 AM
    Kinda like the guy said two posts up from you? lol
    Sorry, I missed the ap mobile in his post! Must have been half asleep!
    01-02-09 11:48 AM
    what's so great about this? I've never really used the iphone so i'm not sure. I like the way it scrolls now, but what's the benefit?
    You have to try the iPhone to see what it does.

Like I said originally, it could be made to be optional with the user.
    01-02-09 11:49 AM
    I used a display iPhone before at the cingular store (AT&T). It was an ok phone but it wasnt a WOW factor. Now the storm, has the beautiful Blackberry interface. Thats what keeps me comming back! The iphones thin ness is nice though. But im cool with the blackberry and I like the regualar scrolling better. Its more accurate.
    01-02-09 12:17 PM
    The phone has basic features there were "left out" so they can release them with a "big" update. I was told that this phone will be a true dominent force by march 2009. (Just before their app store comes out)
    01-02-09 12:59 PM
    The phone has basic features there were "left out" so they can release them with a "big" update. I was told that this phone will be a true dominent force by march 2009. (Just before their app store comes out)
    I don't consider kinetic scrolling to be a "basic factor" unless of course you compare it directly with the iPhone. It doesn't really add any functionality to the phone that cannot be achieved with regular scrolling. Remember, scrolling on phones and computers has been around for years and years without kinetic scrolling and everyone survived.

I don't know who told you the phone will be a "true dominant force by march 2009" because there's really no way to predict this. (The iPhone wasn't a "true dominant force" till more than a year after it was released).

I don't care so much about kinetic scrolling, I would just like the frame rate of the scrolling to be increased so it is not so choppy.
    01-02-09 01:04 PM
    I don't consider kinetic scrolling to be a "basic factor" unless of course you compare it directly with the iPhone. It doesn't really add any functionality to the phone that cannot be achieved with regular scrolling. Remember, scrolling on phones and computers has been around for years and years without kinetic scrolling and everyone survived.

I don't know who told you the phone will be a "true dominant force by march 2009" because there's really no way to predict this. (The iPhone wasn't a "true dominant force" till more than a year after it was released).

I don't care so much about kinetic scrolling, I would just like the frame rate of the scrolling to be increased so it is not so choppy.
    Can people stop calling it "kinetic scrolling"? It's a very inaccurate name for the feature. It is much more closely described by inertia. If it were purely kinetic, then there's nothing stopping the menu or whatever from scrolling in ANY direction. Up, down, left, right, or any combination of these. If it's inertia based, then it will have a tendency to keep going in the same direction unless some outside force acts on it.

"Flick scrolling" is a bit crude, but it's still better than "kinetic scrolling" in terms of describing the feature.

Anyway, only time will really tell what happens with the Storm... What can be said is that RIM has stated that Storm sales are higher than any other phone they've offered, and much higher than they expected, leading to supply problems. Verizon has also claimed that Storm returns have been lower than the average for smartphones, and I believe they even said lower than any other smartphone they offer. Those are some encouraging signs to say the least.

And just to economize posts...

It's not a financial or economic crisis, it's a normal market correction. It won't be fun to ride it out, and a lot of companies seem to be using it as an excuse to lay off employees so they can probably later hire cheaper replacements, but it's not a crisis. It is the market finally catching up with all the really bad investments people made in the real estate market and other areas. Banks got greedy, and it came back to bite them in the arse.

At the same time, a lot of the government oversight that should have stepped in to put a stop to a lot of this before it got to be such a problem, was dismantled by the Bush admin along with plenty of other things that seek to prevent these things but also get in the way of the rich robber baron types who fund republican candidate campaigns, from further exploiting the rest of us to line their own pockets even more.

But it's really only been the last 5-6 months that it's really started to hit the fan, and ultimately I would bet that an economic downturn would hurt sales just as much as it would help.
    01-02-09 01:37 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD