Hi, I just used backup manager to backup my contacts. It wrote the file in an ipd file. I have a few questions.

1, how can I read the ipd file on my desktop pc or do i need a file converter for it?

2, Do the files merge or overwrite them if I write them back to my BB storm?

Thanks Dude
    06-14-09 12:32 PM
    Use the restore manager to see what is backed up in the file. You can't see exactly what's in it however, just what will be backed up. You shouldn't need a converter for it because I think that would mess up the file. I'm not sure though. As for merging and overwriting, I believe there is an option when you restore your file where you can choose to either have the files overwrite or merge. Hope this helps.
    06-14-09 12:42 PM
    1, how can I read the ipd file on my desktop pc or do i need a file converter for it?

Thanks Dude
    you can use the sync fundtion to sync the contacts between the phone and the computer, using Outlook, or Outlook express address book

or if you really just want to convert all the data, then try
    Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor
    30 day free trial
    06-14-09 12:47 PM
    I'm not a buisness person where I need a blackberry, i just have one. I use to use verizon backup assistant and it would back up my contacts. I used this incase I lost my phone. That's all I need to do with my BB but I want to see the contact list from the one I backed up on my PC to make sure I am doing it right so that's why I need to read the ipd file.
    06-14-09 12:49 PM
    if all you are doing is backing up contacts then easiest way is outlook sync.
    Or you can go into DM and click on backup and restore-> advanced.> on the right side there is a list of all the databases on your phone, click address book all, click the "<<" then file save as filename.

OR

you can go into the sync option from DM, configure sync, choose address book, ascii, one way FROM device, click browse, select folder where u want the file saved, type in name of file you want to save as, type in the name you want the file saved as, click open, file doesn't exist create etc.. yes, next,finish, now go back to sync page and click sync.

This gives you a file you can access via word/notepad etc..
    Last edited by lamnguyen2020; 06-14-09 at 01:01 PM. Reason: other method to 'see' what you are backing up
    06-14-09 12:54 PM
    If I sync it with my Outlook do my contacts merge? I do not want them to merge.
    06-14-09 01:16 PM
    um, u can see what's in the backup file if use "advanced" mode on the backup/restore section of dm
    06-14-09 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD