Can anyone help me because Verizon salesmen can't.

I went in today to try out the Storm and mess with it's functions. One of the things I am looking at the Storm to do is access a home security camera system through Internet Explorer. The system is a computer controlled dvr system connected to a router and the internet through comcast. After changing the Storms browser to Internet Explorer and turning on the Java portion I put in my ip address. The opening log in page did load and I put in the user name and password and then entered. Everything loaded except the camera picture.

This system can be opened from any computer with Java and ActiveX enabled. I am assuming that the ActiveX portion will not work with the Storm.

Does anyone know if thats true or am I missing a setting in the phone? The Verizon sales people were no help and really did not seem to have much knowledge about it.

Please help cause I would really like to buy this phone and have this work. Thanks.
    02-13-09 06:09 PM
    Negative, ActiveX and/or Flash (if it uses that for video) will not work on the Storm. That setting is just how a site identifies the browser, doesn't control the ability for 3rd party controls to work.
    02-13-09 06:17 PM
    So are you saying it should load and display the picture or it won't because Storm does not support ActiveX ?
    02-13-09 07:56 PM
    Yes, if the video control on the webpage is either an ActiveX control, or flash, it won't play on the Storm.
    02-13-09 08:33 PM
    That's disappointing. Do you know of any way around it? And thanks for the quick reply.
    02-13-09 09:06 PM
    Nope, no way around it. Highly unlikely the storm, or any non WinMobile (which I'm not sure even it does) will ever support ActiveX. Let's just hope they support Flash someday.
    02-13-09 10:19 PM
    I have an Axix wireless camera that I use as a doggie cam to keep and eye on my four dogs at home. I had the same problem as you. It uses Java and Active X. On the iPhone, it works perfectly on the Motion JPEG setting. I did figure out a way to view at least a "still" photo from the camera. In the Axis software settings (there may be one for whatever product you are using) make sure you set Motion JPEG to ActiveX. On the Storm, set your browser to identify itself as Internet Explorer. When you access your webcam, you will get one still photo. That's it.

Again, this may not apply to your camera and software but at least it's something. I also tried this with Opera Mini and the BOLT beta. No love on those either.
    02-13-09 10:36 PM
    You could get a remote desktop app and log into your pc. Not sure if that will help or not. I use RDM+ to log on to my pc.

Bob
    02-13-09 10:49 PM
    Smartphone aren't advanced enough for this sort of thing just yet... any of them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD