I'm on VZW here in the states with my Storm and as I understand it (I'm semi-new here) the sim card in the Storm allows it to access GSM networks when traveling abroad? I'm going to Costa Rica this summer and I'm just curious about using the phone over there. I've got the data plan and everything on VZW, just don't want to make a phone call home or text someone back here and end up getting a ridiculous bill for it. Any info is appreciated!
    05-28-09 08:46 AM
    You can find Verizon's Roaming information here.

International Roaming

It looks like it's $2.89 per minute for a phone call. The data depends on your plan. Text messages are about $.50 per messages sent and $.05 for the ones received.

I travel abroad frequently, but my company pays for the service.

A lot of people call Verizon and request an unlock code for their phone which enables them to use another carrier's SIM card at substantially cheaper rates. The drawback is that it is a different phone number and in some cases a foreign phone number.

I have a need for the same phone number, so when I travel, I am sort of stuck with the rates. I'm glad though, I mainly travel to London and the rates are $.99 as opposed to the $2.89.

You can also call Verizon and change your data plan to a global data plan for the billing periods that encompass your trip. Then call and change back.
    05-28-09 08:59 AM
    A lot of carriers abroad offer very reasonable "pay-as-you-go" plans (pre-paid accounts). The option with the 9530 is using a GSM network overseas as well. You wouldn't have to worry about Verizon while you're over there. Definitely an option you should look in to.
    05-28-09 09:56 AM
    what about charging the storm in london? i have the pod plus the adaptors that came with the phone but does anyone know if you actually need a converter or just the plug adaptor. Thanks.
    06-03-09 11:58 AM
    the charger can automatically adjust the voltage which is supplied by the outlet. bring your adapters and you should be fine.
    06-03-09 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD