Not to start a war, but a little bit based on what I have been saying, the "WHY" behind CDMA blackberries and no wifi. Not sure of all the validity but the original poster is an intelligent gentleman and knows alot about the wireless industry.

"That's simply not true.

I really don't think Verizon has anything against WiFi, they just don't have their own WiFi network, so they have no reason to push that feature.

The high-end Windows Mobile devices have WiFi, such as the Samsung i760 (and i730 before it) and the HTC 6800 (and 6700 before it). So if the manufacturer wants to put it in, clearly Verizon will allow it.

It is not trivial to build an extra radio and antenna into a phone. There's a lot of costly and time-consuming engineering involved. So the notion that the Storm has WiFi and it's been disabled is absurd.

The fact is, to a manufacturer like RIM, carriers are the customers. CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon don't have their own WiFi networks the way AT&T and T-Mobile do, so WiFi isn't something they're asking manufacturers to include on their devices. There's no incentive. Sprint and Verizon don't hate WiFi; they simply don't care about it.

If Sprint and Verizon don't care about WiFi, then there's simply less incentive for RIM to invest the extra resources into including that feature on their CDMA devices. "
    10-10-08 03:11 PM
    Not to start a war, but a little bit based on what I have been saying, the "WHY" behind CDMA blackberries and no wifi. Not sure of all the validity but the original poster is an intelligent gentleman and knows alot about the wireless industry.

"That's simply not true.

I really don't think Verizon has anything against WiFi, they just don't have their own WiFi network, so they have no reason to push that feature.

The high-end Windows Mobile devices have WiFi, such as the Samsung i760 (and i730 before it) and the HTC 6800 (and 6700 before it). So if the manufacturer wants to put it in, clearly Verizon will allow it.

It is not trivial to build an extra radio and antenna into a phone. There's a lot of costly and time-consuming engineering involved. So the notion that the Storm has WiFi and it's been disabled is absurd.

The fact is, to a manufacturer like RIM, carriers are the customers. CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon don't have their own WiFi networks the way AT&T and T-Mobile do, so WiFi isn't something they're asking manufacturers to include on their devices. There's no incentive. Sprint and Verizon don't hate WiFi; they simply don't care about it.

If Sprint and Verizon don't care about WiFi, then there's simply less incentive for RIM to invest the extra resources into including that feature on their CDMA devices. "
    Your missing one thing here,it really doesn't matter if Sprint or Verizon cares about WiFi it's the enduser (me& you) that care. RIM if it was their decision to leave it out, it wasn't a wise one if it was based on Verizon. Not having WiFi isn't a deal killer for me but it would be welcomed. If I had a choice of a WiFi equipped Storm and one without,I would pay more for the WiFi model.
    Last edited by Leo J; 10-10-08 at 03:30 PM.
    10-10-08 03:20 PM
    I had a xv6700 and hardly used the wifi. I had that phone and my curve and I found myself using the curve for internet a whole lot more than the wifi. Would I pay a little more for a phone with wifi in it? Maybe depending on what "a little more" is. Would I not buy the storm cause it doesn't have it? **** no. Most of the time I found verizon internet was faster out in the field than wifi anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 03:28 PM
    I agree with the OP's quote, but I'd rather have WIFI and not need it, then not have WIFI and need it.
    10-10-08 03:31 PM
    I agree with the OP's quote, but I'd rather have WIFI and not need it, then not have WIFI and need it.
    Have a virtual beer on me.
    10-10-08 03:35 PM
    You guys are forgetting, this is Verizon. To them, if their phones had WiFi, people might choose not to purchase or use their data plan. This way it forces them to purchase the data plan. If Verizon had their own WiFi network, they would then allow it on their phones, only be usable by an extra monthly fee. This is the Verizon way.
    10-10-08 03:37 PM
    The main reason I give input on the features like WiFi is because I know companies like RIM monitor these boards. Hopefully they all realize the best people to get advice from are people who use and purchase your products.
    10-10-08 03:38 PM
    You guys are forgetting, this is Verizon. To them, if their phones had WiFi, people might choose not to purchase or use their data plan. This way it forces them to purchase the data plan. If Verizon had their own WiFi network, they would then allow it on their phones, only be usable by an extra monthly fee. This is the Verizon way.
    It's not like they allow you to purchase the phone without the data package anyway.
    10-10-08 03:40 PM
    They require a data plan with a Blackberry anyway. What good is a BB without a data plan? That's the whole point of the BB model -- good email, anywhere (everywhere). So that sorta defeats the notion that they would ask RIM to not include WiFi so they could drive people to a data plan.
    10-10-08 03:42 PM
    If you bring your own phone in, you can purchase just a voice plan, right?
    10-10-08 03:45 PM
    Well according to this BlackBerry Niagara Returns And The All New Apex? | CrackBerry.com the Niagara will have WiFi
    We will see if Verizon will cary it - and what will happen to WiFi

10-10-08 04:08 PM
    Like I said, im not into debating the whole wifi vs no wifi theory. Everyone has their own take. I was just saying to my original question in other posts, the "Why do CDMA carriers not have it". I found it ironic is all, that's where this post comes in, not to debate the pros/cons to adding/not adding.

And it makes sense if you think about it. And half the people say they would pay extra, it defends on how much it takes to make that chipset, the programming involved, the issues with gps and wifi that come from it, **not saying any**

This device is EXPECTED to be on the same price tier as the iphone. Wether it's better/worse, that's what people expect. Read the forums, we all do, people are already saying "If it's more expensive than the iphone blah blah"

Wifi was sacrificed due to **see above post** pricing points. I could see, in order to be competitive, and put out a different/superior product, sacrificing something. I'm sure the NEW technology, the NEW screen, the time invested into the new innovative product didn't come super cheap.

So wifi.... or new better technology?

Again, I have no insider information, just presenting a logical argument. Something would have to be sacrificed to keep it in the same price tier of the iphone. Verizon isn't buying the product and making money off of it, they have no markup or anything like that, so there is a reason they were price shaving.

So that MAY be the reason we don't see wifi alot, it's just speculation, but hey, I take what I can get, and if it's a legitimate viewpoint, I accept it with open arms. I like being on the top of the fence with a leg on both sides, not choosing one. It helps me not be as close minded as some of the people I have seen in these forums. **Not to say this was anyone that has posted here**
    10-10-08 04:10 PM
    Well according to this BlackBerry Niagara Returns And The All New Apex? | CrackBerry.com the Niagara will have WiFi
    We will see if Verizon will cary it - and what will happen to WiFi

Yup, i'm sure it's capable, but what's sacrificed? Not saying anything will be, but hmmmmmm, who knows, will be interesting to see how the product turns out.
    10-10-08 04:11 PM
    They require a data plan with a Blackberry anyway. What good is a BB without a data plan? That's the whole point of the BB model -- good email, anywhere (everywhere). So that sorta defeats the notion that they would ask RIM to not include WiFi so they could drive people to a data plan.
    Read above for maybe a possible rebuttle? Seems logical enough to me,
    10-10-08 04:11 PM
    Here is my 2 cents on wifi on a phone.....

POINTLESS! Because...............
    A) Verizon's network is fast enough to not have a need for it and
    B) Laptops are a much better choice for the internet so use that at wifi hotspots instead

People who constantly whine because the storm doesn't have wifi are probably the same people who demand to go to public places that have wifi. If its that big of a deal STAY AT HOME or TAKE YOUR LAPTOP
    10-10-08 04:24 PM
    While it would be nice to have wifi and I would like to have it on the phone. I bet if we took a poll of all of vzw and at&ts customers that have a phone with wifi, I bet we would see like only 10% even use it.
    10-10-08 04:33 PM
    Here is my 2 cents on wifi on a phone.....

POINTLESS! Because...............
    A) Verizon's network is fast enough to not have a need for it and
    Why do people keep saying this. This is the lamest excuse for not having WiFi. Fast enough? According to who, you? You do realize that WiFi is great for BES users with a data cap right? You do realize that WiFi is great if you don't want to wait 10 minutes for a picture heavy website/email attachment to download right? Please, people keep riding Verizons nuts with these excuses for why they don't have this and why they charge extra for that.

B) Laptops are a much better choice for the internet so use that at wifi hotspots instead
    How ignorant are you? A lot of business people basically use their BB as a laptop. Why carry around a laptop when a BB can practically do the exact same thing? WiFi hotspots are almost everywhere in major cities. You can basically walk the streets and have some sort of WiFi connection. Laptops are not an excuse for the Storm not having Wifi.

People who constantly whine because the storm doesn't have wifi are probably the same people who demand to go to public places that have wifi. If its that big of a deal STAY AT HOME or TAKE YOUR LAPTOP
    People have a right to constantly whine about the Storm not having WiFi, just as you have the right to make poor excuses for it not having WiFi. And really, I see people all the time demanding to go to public places that have WiFi, I hear places like that are adult versions of Chucky Cheese.

The Storm will be a great device WiFi or not. I do feel bad though for the users who would really get the best use out of having WiFi.
    10-10-08 05:00 PM
    While it would be nice to have wifi and I would like to have it on the phone. I bet if we took a poll of all of vzw and at&ts customers that have a phone with wifi, I bet we would see like only 10% even use it.
    10% only? I would really like to see a poll for this.
    10-10-08 05:01 PM
    And here's my 2 cents of the storm's lack of wifi...The storm 1 will Never, EVER, EVER!!! have wifi...get over it, and if you can't you must love beating a dead horse because bickering and complaining WILL NOT add wifi to the storm...maybe the storm 2 though
    10-10-08 05:16 PM
    And here's my 2 cents of the storm's lack of wifi...The storm 1 will Never, EVER, EVER!!! have wifi...get over it, and if you can't you must love beating a dead horse because bickering and complaining WILL NOT add wifi to the storm...maybe the storm 2 though
    I don't think a reasonable discussion among users of a product's feature is "bickering and complaining."
    10-10-08 05:34 PM
    You know whats funny? This thread wasn't really complaining about the lack of WiFi on the Storm, from what I could see. It was more to discuss the possible reasons why it wasn't included. Some people may have posted complaints. But who forced you to click on a thread with "WiFi" in the title and post a complaint about a complaint? Now that gives me something to complain about!

I don't think a reasonable discussion among users of a product's feature is "bickering and complaining."
    Exactly.
    10-10-08 05:36 PM
    9510 will be out a couple months after the 9500/9530 and it will have wifi.
    10-10-08 07:09 PM
    10% only? I would really like to see a poll for this.
    So would I, The reason I say 10% is that in my company there are like 20 people using a BB with wifi and I am the only one who uses the wifi. I also know at least 10 other people with wifi and none of them have even tried to use it.

From what I have seen, most people will never know half of what their phone can do.
    Last edited by Goldengriff; 10-12-08 at 12:38 AM.
    10-11-08 12:10 AM
    9510 will be out a couple months after the 9500/9530 and it will have wifi.
    is this confirmed?
    10-11-08 12:15 AM
    is this confirmed?
    hahaha

NO.

---------------------------

alright everybody. this is getting out of hand. this thread was NOT about whining and complaining that the phone doesnt need wifi or it does or verizon is lame for not having wifi in the phone. but amazingly, that is what it has turned into. shame on you people for runing this thread.

i really think that part of the reason why there isnt wifi on the phone still may have to do with implementation of the wifi with CDMA. maybe it is only related to cost. i dont see verizon saying dont put wifi on the device. that's just not smart business sense to listen to one carrier that closely. now, perhaps verizon said ok the hardware can support wifi, but we dont want to implement it at this point. but if that were the case, why doesnt the 9500 have wifi either? points further towards the idea that this wasnt a carrier decision. who knows, and to a greater extent, who cares?

the phones dont have wifi, so if you dont like it, dont get the phone. simple as that.
    10-11-08 02:08 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD