I just had a great experience getting my Verizon 9530 replaced through Asurion.

After a year and a half, one of the buttons on my trusty 9530 snagged in my pocket and broke as I pulled it out. I ordered the insurance replacement through the Asurion website and got a refurbished Storm1.

The refurb was a real POS. For some reason, it wouldn't retain any data when the battery was pulled. If I did a soft reset through Meterberry, everything stayed intact, but if I pulled the battery, it lost everything since the last Meterberry reset: email, apps, icon placement, call logs... everything.

I called Asurion and got a great customer service rep. He joked that the troubleshooting process would take so long we'd probably be best friends by the time it was over.

During the course of the twenty minute call, I mentioned that I hadn't upgraded my phone because I was waiting for the Storm3 to show up at the end of the year. When the conversation was over, he said, "I'm going to see if I can get you a Storm2."

What showed up? A brand new Storm2 in a factory sealed box, not a refurb. In the outer carton, there was also a holster and a car charger.

It seems customer service reps have great power to send a refurb or a new unit. I think I made a big difference that I was prepared to explain the problem concisely, mentioned all the troubleshooting steps I'd already taken (reregistering on the network, resending service books, etc.) and, most of all, was pleasant with the rep as he went through the required steps instead of being unpleasant.

Bottom line: be nice to the people on the other end of the phone. It's probably a welcome relief when they get a customer who treats them decently, and they just might do something to brighten your day in return.
    06-16-10 02:22 PM
    My 2nd storm replacment in a week is waiting for me at home. I did mention to the Verizon tech that a 2 would be nice for wifi (i live in the woods no service except for VZ extender which is awsome BTW). Cross your fingers for me.
    06-16-10 03:26 PM
    Wow, you got lucky for sure! And yes, it does help to be nice to people!
    06-16-10 03:30 PM
    My 2nd storm replacement in a week is waiting for me at home.
    Just out of curiosity... what was wrong with your first replacement?

I've never heard of anybody having the same problems I had. I even reinstalled the OS.

It almost seemed the BB has some sort of backup battery -- like the BIOS backup on a computer -- that preserves things during a brief battery pull, and mine was defective.
    06-16-10 05:44 PM
    Has anyone else filed a claim for a one lately and gotten a two? Im about to file a claim as my "back" button has crapped out and it's fairly difficult to navigate the phone without it. However, I'm also a month away from upgrade and might just deal with the broken button and upgrade to a two in a month. Just wondering if a defunct model such as the one eventually leaves the shelves of the insurer and they just default to the latest model when a claim is made. If thats the case I'll gladly pay the $50 and "upgrade" to the Storm 2.
    06-16-10 08:44 PM
    My first storm lasted 2 years.. Then started shutting off and doing weird things. 1 replacement wouldnt take a charge.. Lose port on the side. Just got my 2nd 1 and it's still a storm 1.. But the screen is super responsive with no dead spots.. the 1st replacement was awful, I was close to turning the screw a half turn back like I did one my first one to fix the screen click issues.
    06-17-10 07:44 AM
    I'm on Storm #6.
    Two of my friends hit Storm #4 within 12 months. They got Storm 2s.
    I hit Storm #4 in 13 months. They would not upgrade me. I'm at 17 months now, so shy of being able to get NE2. Had Verizon upgraded me to a Storm 2 I'd probably have stuck with BB, but I've been so miserable with the Storm and so ready to get something different. Tried everything I could with Storms #4 and #5 but couldn't get an upgrade to a Storm 2.

Good luck, everyone.
    06-19-10 04:57 PM
    I am on my second Storm2, my first one lasted a little over 3 months and it died. So.Verizon sent a replacement...it has lasted about 2 months...--I am now waiting for my 3rd bb Storm2 to arrive by Fedex. Does anyone else have such problems with their Storm 2s? I told the tech at Verizon that the replacement they sent #2 had been nothing but trouble and this time I would like a new. Storm2 instead of a reconditioned one. Geez I pay almost $400.00 a month to Verizon for 2 phones, 2 lines with unlimited calling plan plus a MyFi. Cause we live out side the city and can not get internet. If this replacement doesn't work out given the history of pulling the battery 3 to 5 times a day and being unreliable what are my options? Other than switching to another carrier? Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-10 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD